Gotcha - drunk minivan driven pinned down after scary journey with 13 passengers

webfact

Gotcha - drunk minivan driven pinned down after scary journey with 13 passengers

pm4.jpg

Picture: Sanook

ANG THONG: -- Our picture shows what many motorists and passengers want to see more of. A drunk minivan driver banged to rights.

This one was hauled from his vehicle, pinned down and breath tested after a highway chase, reports Sanook.

He had 241 miligrams of alcohol in his blood and had gone through several police checkpoints set up to stop him on a wild journey from Chainat headed for Bangkok.

Terrified passengers gritted their teeth as the wild driver raced along the Asia Highway last night. But one of the passengers, a 24 year old soldier returning to camp, had the presence of mind to phone police who set up the blocks and eventually apprehended Sompong, 38, a driver from Suphanburi.

Police in Ang Thong initially got a call from Nathawut Phromma, a soldier in Pathum Thani who was one of the 13 passengers in the van.

He told them that the driver was swerving all over the road and was clearly drunk.

A roadblock was set up but Sompong refused to stop. Police further down the road set up another block, this time stopping all vehicles.

But still the crazy driver managed to break through and a high speed chase ensued down the highway.

Finally after the police boxed him in with three vehicles front back and side he was forced to stop, dragged out of his vehicle, pinned  down by the side of the road and arrested.

Sompong claimed he was not drunk and had only gone through the checkpoints because he was "surprised". He said he had only had one "baen" of alcohol (a small bottle of spirits).

He said he was not meant to be the scheduled driver on the service to Mor Chit from Chainat but was drafted in when the regular guy was unavailable.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-11

Hard to believe that police would continue with a chase when they know the van is full of passengers.  It only increases the chances of a fatal accident.  And what use are roadblocks when a vehicle can get through them?

Thirteen very fortunate people to emerge from that van...

13 minutes ago, bluegum said:

Hard to believe that police would continue with a chase when they know the van is full of passengers.  It only increases the chances of a fatal accident.  And what use are roadblocks when a vehicle can get through them?

Thirteen very fortunate people to emerge from that van...

the magic of the moment.   can't lose face and let him get away

10 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Just a normal minivan journey then.

Yeah, that says it all. Not so much nowadays, but in the past very much so. You newbies have no idea. These guys nowadays are the epitome of good driving. Getting on a minivan in the old days was like partaking in an extreme sport.

Its like winning the lottery getting a safe minivan driver...doesnt happen very often and odds very much against you......im sure they think they are in a grand prix or do they get a bonus for how many cars they overtake per trip?? I will never understand why they drive so stupid,i dont care so much if they were on there own but they have the lives of others in there control...thats scary shit.......i hate going in the vans and there quite uncomfortable when full!!!

18 hours ago, trogers said:

Was drafted in...

Clearly, money comes before safety. The manager of the transport company should be jailed...

If he indeed saw the driver beforehand. There is a chance he did not.

I have only been back in Thailand a short time and forgotten that these minibuses were as bad as they are, I soon got reminded.

For a few bucks, van companies can buy portable breathalyzers and test their drivers before they get behind the wheel.    Takes a few seconds, and should be mandatory for anyone operating a public vehicle, boat or aircraft.  Then the company should have their vehicle confiscated and lose their license to operate if their driver still sneaks through.

We test everyone before they can get on a boat or helicopter to go offshore for us. We lose a few contractors every month when they fail, and a few employees every year.

8 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

That is presuming he would have stopped.

Could have just whipped it out and started peeing on the console next to him if it was a matter of life or death.  I'd imagine some of the passengers squeezed out a liter or two during the chase anyway.

ONLY resolution to this insidious issue - mandatory testing EVERY SHIFT before drivers can take the wheel.  Randox Testing in UK comes to mind.  There are other such solutions/services.  

Here it's more necessary than most countries in the world save 3-5.

I came back to Cha-am yesterday and the driver was so tired or pissed or both he had to keep counting his takings and reading some sort of receipt which was on the dash board countless times,

i watched his eyes,!! sleepy nodded of twice, i have to say i was terrified, nearly ended up in the back of a Fortuner RV, i did not have my camera and was sitting just behind him, to the left,

my wife just to scared of taking pictures because he had a uniform,

it seems Thais are scared of anyone with a uniform here

If i ever have to use this deadly service i will look only for government run buses,  not these could'ent car less drivers where money come first.

lastly i got out of this bus in Phetchaburi as my nerves could'ent stand anymore and i am not easily frightened and waited for another,

and this driver hopefully it was him.

9 hours ago, nausea said:

Yeah, that says it all. Not so much nowadays, but in the past very much so. You newbies have no idea. These guys nowadays are the epitome of good driving. Getting on a minivan in the old days was like partaking in an extreme sport.

Today it's just a dangerous sport. 

In this country it all comes down to teaching, and teaching is hard where even the government come to realize that the education system in the country
needs to be re-evaluated and rebuildt. In that case it´s not strange that the driver don´t know the lack of safety when combine drinking and driving. If you after that add
the very hard training regarding driver lessons and theory tests for getting a driver license in Thailand you got the answer.

In this case it was an even clearer answer, when they appearently put a total idiot behind the wheel. Combine all that and you have the total catasthrophy every single time.

It isn´t for nothing they say it´s "Amazing" here.

Edited by Get Real

21 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

He was probably drafted in because the scheduled driver was too pissed to drive !

I used one of these suicide vans last week after swearing never to do so again.

The guy driving was a bit crazy, to fast and stupid overtaking as the norm for these maniacs.

I went from BK to Hua Hin and was a bit dismayed that after going to Victory area that the Vans are now at south BK bus station.

After a Taxi there I thought that - hey they at least look more organised from here.

Now only if the PM could straighten out the drivers as well they may become safe, but as for now there was no falangs and only Thai customers at south BK terminal. 

How many deaths does it take to wake up the road authorities in this country , stupid question.