Army angers boat owners by demolishing Bali Hai boat ramp

Rimmer

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, impulse said:

Now you're just being mean...  Have a great day of sailing anyway!

Seems the first really nice day we've had in a while.  Keeping my fingers crossed the clouds don't come rolling in early afternoon!  As you know, it can get crazy out there during a storm.

16 hours ago, smedly said:

his whole mafia crowd are all linked together, they have been ripping off tourists for decades - speedboats - jetski's -  beach vendors they are one and the same.

You need to look carefully at what has been going on in Pattaya administration these last 6 months, slowly but surely they are removing the old guard corrupt administration and replacing them with people who cannot be influenced by the local mafia's and people of influence - in fact some of those removed were likely the top dogs in these mafia like organisations - their days are numbered

But no punishments 

11 minutes ago, whatproblem said:

But no punishments 

Gotta choose your battles.  If taking public land back for public use is the objective, risking the escalation to all out war by taking out retribution isn't in line with that objective.

Besides, the corruption is so deeply entrenched and accepted for so long, they'd have to punish just about everyone in an official capacity and a huge percentage of the population.  Call it an unspoken amnesty.

As long as they're making progress toward bringing Thailand into the rule of law...  Which is one of the pre-requisites for a functional democracy.  Unless, of course, the people want to keep their kleptocracy.

Edited by impulse

7 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Thers a place they let you walk n park past na Jomtien where the Boat Show is held,really expensive stuff to see and wander down to the mored ones ,worth a visit if your not a Wind n String Fan ,all Power Boats

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It's Nov 24-27 at Ocean Marina.  They've definitely got sailboats on offer, seen several over the years.  Food, drinks, exhibitions, great fun!

http://oceanmarinapattayaboatshow.com/

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

How many of you have ever trailered and launched or removed a boat?  Without a little bit of practice one can really mess things up, backing up the truck or car. 

it is not that difficult when you have several large tractors at your disposal

19 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Good point.  Doesn't seem the army thought this one out very well.  Or just didn't care.

Or perhaps the boat owners should never have just taken over the Bali Hai area and should have amongst themselves made some rules and regulations to avoid the whole situation they now find themselves in.

I have a friend who owns a home just behind this area. For many many years her family used the road at Bali Hai to access their house. They stopped doing this maybe 3 years ago and now take a much longer route because it became way too dangerous to drive amongst the fast moving tractors and tractors with boats, boats on trailers released from the tractor whilst still in motion and boat and trailer left to slide along roads / across the road etc.

Plus the boat owners were given about 2 years to make alternative parking plans and other places specifically assigned for boat parking.   

Edited by scorecard

Nice one ! I saw on 2 different messageboards today that these guys was portrayed as the poorest of the poor ,ex-fishermen that hardly scraped by taking tourist parasailing or doing trips to the nearby islands............Same shit I`ve heard in Phuket for the last 25 years.Give 5% of these guys licences to operate on a legal basis.......For the rest: The World`s labour market is constantly changing ..........You`ve had your golden years ripping of people,it`s now changed and do you`re gonna adjust,same like people all over the the developed and semi-developed  are doing on a daily basis !!

Walking street is next. This regime is determined to change the face of Pattaya from a lawless sin city to a place for Asian tourists and Thai families. After Walking street is redesigned- the regime will come down hard on the GoGo Bars ; sex shows and the overt solicitation of sex.  The Western tourists who come for the action will find there is little action and go elsewhere which is what the regime wants. The bar owners who haven't sold should do so as quick as possible because their days are numbered or they should move to a more discrete area. This regime is going to be around for a long time. 

12 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Oh dear, boat owner not happy, tough luck sunshine, they have had it too good for far too long, about time the harsh reality of life kicked them up the jacksy,  nothing but a bunch of low life, thieving scumbags.

I just hope the army starts to charge for using the slipway in Jomtien, that would really add insult to injury :biggrin:

Put in parking meters for the boats parked on the roads and you have a real winner

Don't pay loose your boat   :clap2:

19 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Good point.  Doesn't seem the army thought this one out very well.  Or just didn't care.

army seems to be doing things just for the point of being seen to do something. that is an area with a lot of potential and is now a blank canvas. would be great to see a nice area with a decent ferry terminal running a safe service to koh larn.  koh larn should be marketed as a great family orientated holiday get away or even as a great day trip. water is clean and i love taking my son over there for a swim as he loves the boat trip. i did trips down to koh samet and koh chang but really there is no need with koh larn so close by.

Boat owners all are millionaires, I know a family having for $ millions of boat there. And of course they are not happy.

I do not believe that there is a single owner who owns only 1 boat and is now facing problems to do his business.

Edited by abab

Just now, Golden Triangle said:

Oh dear, boat owner not happy, tough luck sunshine, they have had it too good for far too long, about time the harsh reality of life kicked them up the jacksy,  nothing but a bunch of low life, thieving scumbags.

I just hope the army starts to charge for using the slipway in Jomtien, that would really add insult to injury :biggrin:

Right, but would advise against playing the Schadenfreude card too openly  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude

"These" people have been a problem even  before this happened.

2 minutes ago, morrobay said:

No I think the army thought this out very well. 

So true.  In the chess game that is Asian politics, they're usually half a dozen moves out ahead of where we would be in the thought process.  

There's a cost involved with being protected all our lives by the laws in the nanny states.  We usually find out what that cost is when we have to negotiate with people who haven't grown up with those protections.  Or we don't learn, and complain that they're picking on us.

Just now, Thaidream said:

Walking street is next. This regime is determined to change the face of Pattaya from a lawless sin city to a place for Asian tourists and Thai families. After Walking street is redesigned- the regime will come down hard on the GoGo Bars ; sex shows and the overt solicitation of sex.  The Western tourists who come for the action will find there is little action and go elsewhere which is what the regime wants. The bar owners who haven't sold should do so as quick as possible because their days are numbered or they should move to a more discrete area. This regime is going to be around for a long time. 

Alot of the Pattaya  sin city businesses are being displaced/replaced and counting.

Do you see those in these  businesses and all the " others" connected to those businesses just going off quietly.

Or can you foresee any kind of resistance  coming from them ?

Edited by morrobay

11 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Alot of the Pattaya  sin city businesses are being displaced/replaced and counting.

Do you see those in these  businesses and all the " others" connected to those businesses just going off quietly.

Or can you foresee any kind of resistance  coming from them ?

I believe that's why nobody's going to jail over this one (and many others).

If their choice is going off quietly, or going off with a bang and going to jail for life, they're less likely to do desperate things.  If they know they're going to jail anyway for past deeds they can't undo, they have nothing to lose.  I could see the bullets and the bombs flying in that case.

This time resistance is futile. The local military and city officials are backed directly by the wishes of the PM's Administration. They are determined to change Pattaya into a destination free of overt lewd behavior; scams; crime that goes unpunished and generally clean up the place. Also on the list is Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy. Their days are numbered. I might suggest that people with money to invest stay out of the entertainment business. It's not a growth industry in Thailand.

Just now, Thaidream said:

This time resistance is futile. The local military and city officials are backed directly by the wishes of the PM's Administration. They are determined to change Pattaya into a destination free of overt lewd behavior; scams; crime that goes unpunished and generally clean up the place. Also on the list is Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy. Their days are numbered. I might suggest that people with money to invest stay out of the entertainment business. It's not a growth industry in Thailand.

I'd change that wording to the vice business.  

There will be plenty of new opportunities in the entertainment business, catering to families and travelers looking for more than cheap sex and consequence free hedonism.  Admittedly, it's tougher to get them to open their wallets than horny dudes, but they don't leave the same stain on the destinations where they stay and play.

I agree- the entertainment business dedicated to wholesome entertainment for travelers and families will be a success without the vice component . vice is what they are going to clamp down on. The powers that be are tired of Thailand being known as the prime destination for vice and they want to get rid of the vice and the tourist/expat that it attracts. You can already see it happening in Bangkok. Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy are occupying prime land in the heart of Sukhumvit Road. A developer is going to make an offer the owners cannot refuse and the owners of the land know that the Junta wants this type of business to go   The GoGo business is going to eventually die a natural death because of lack of customers and pressure by the authorities on hiring; closing hours and licensing. I can remember a time when it never existed. Smart owners are making their moves now.  Other owners won't believe it and they will go bankrupt. Change is everywhere these days.  Whether Pattaya  or Bangkok- those who survive accept the change and adapt.

3 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

army seems to be doing things just for the point of being seen to do something. that is an area with a lot of potential and is now a blank canvas. would be great to see a nice area with a decent ferry terminal running a safe service to koh larn.  koh larn should be marketed as a great family orientated holiday get away or even as a great day trip. water is clean and i love taking my son over there for a swim as he loves the boat trip. i did trips down to koh samet and koh chang but really there is no need with koh larn so close by.

Bllody hell wga,give them a chance.Rome wasn't built in a day,so i hear.

5 hours ago, johng said:

Resistance is futile ( TM the Borg )  when one side has article 44 ( + all the guns)

Ha Ha

The Borg work as one,   also they  are smart.

So that's torn it,    straight away, for pattaya. :giggle:

Edited by onemorechang