Phuket business consortium vows Singapore-style bus network within five years

rooster59

Phuket business consortium vows Singapore-style bus network within five years

Supatra Sutham

1478861005_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: A consortium of 25 investors, driven by key people from prominent Phuket business families, are spending B100 million to design a public transportation system for Phuket. The group have already contracted a feasibility study into the mass-transit system, which will include a bus network, and say they hope to see it under development as early as next year.

Phuket Governor Chockchai Dejamornthan was the guest of honour for the announcement at the Pearl Hotel on Wednesday night (Nov 8), which also revealed that the consortium will be collaborating with the government as a public-private infrastructure development alliance.

The investors, under the banner of the Phuket City Development Co Ltd (PKCD) corporation, will draw up a 20-year development plan to improve Phuket’s transport infrastructure, which for decades primarily has been under the control of private tuk-tuk, taxi and limousine cartels.

Top priority has been given to delivering a mass-transit bus network to operate in concert with the light-rail project that is still awaiting approval by the Cabinet.

Phuket has been waiting more than 10 years for the planned light-rail system which – when, or if – it arrives will provide public transport from Tha Noon in Phang Nga to the north of Phuket, past Phuket International Airport, through Phuket Town and terminate at Chalong Circle in the south of the island.

Developing the bus network has been given top priority and is expected to cost B400 million, said PKCD co-founder Kan Prachumpan who is also the chief executive of The Beach Group of companies which has developed more than a billion baht of properties in its 18 years of operations in Phuket.

“We are working on a 20-year master plan with smart urban planning,” he told The Phuket News. “Our concept is Innovation, Green Infrastructure and Green Mobility for Sustainable Phuket. We want to develop our public transit to be comparable with Singapore.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-business-consortium-vows-singapore-style-bus-network-within-five-years-59822.php#DyqulgIGVqOdtV5y.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-11-13

Not a chance. Singapore will have an autonomous driverless public system in less than 20 years  (its already being tested on public roads) and Phuket will still have hanging wires, pot holes and specific interests.. An admirable pipe dream that will remain just a dream. Perhaps more achievable goals to start!

“We are working on a 20-year master plan with smart urban planning,” he told The Phuket News. “Our concept is Innovation, Green Infrastructure and Green Mobility for Sustainable Phuket. We want to develop our public transit to be comparable with Singapore.

5 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

Not a chance. Singapore will have an autonomous driverless public system in less than 20 years  (its already being tested on public roads) and Phuket will still have hanging wires, pot holes and specific interests.. An admirable pipe dream that will remain just a dream. Perhaps more achievable goals to start!

You have to wonder what this consortium is smoking. Phuket will live in the dark feudal days for another 20 years. The mafia rules every aspect of local authority .... sad 

"Top priority has been given to delivering a mass-transit bus network to operate in concert with the light-rail project that is still awaiting approval by the Cabinet. "

This line gives me a little hope for the future. As the light rail appears to be almost a done deal, it's essential to establish a good bus service to link with it. 

3 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

I wish them well ..... but this plan is doomed until the taxi mafia are brought under control.

I agree. 

The immediate, and very affordable solution, is to have the tuk-tuks act as a hop-on / hop-off Pattaya style baht bus system, with a flat fare of 10 baht or 20 baht.  The drivers can rotate the routes to ensure income for all. 

It's not even considered, as the transport mafia continue to hold the Phuket tourism industry to ransom. 

It's too little, too late, for Phuket. 

2 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

I agree. 

The immediate, and very affordable solution, is to have the tuk-tuks act as a hop-on / hop-off Pattaya style baht bus system, with a flat fare of 10 baht or 20 baht.  The drivers can rotate the routes to ensure income for all. 

It's not even considered, as the transport mafia continue to hold the Phuket tourism industry to ransom. 

Lets try this again:

Phuket is an ISLAND.

Pattaya is a CITY.

Constantly harping on about apples and oranges is frankly ridiculous.

53 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Lets try this again:

Phuket is an ISLAND.

Pattaya is a CITY.

I thought his suggestion was totally reasonable.

A system of Pattaya style Baht-busses running standard routes would be a huge improvement to the current extortionate fares charged by the minibus, motorcycle and taxi gangs.

5 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Lets try this again:

Phuket is an ISLAND.

Pattaya is a CITY.

FAIL!!!!

How about YOU try it again.

"Phuket is an ISLAND" - yes, it is.  So what????  Can't islands have public transport????

"Pattaya is a CITY." - yes, it is.  So what????  A large island like Phuket can have similar transport options as a City.

"Constantly harping on about apples and oranges is frankly ridiculous." - do you think baht buses would be driving off a cliff, into the ocean, because Phuket is an island???? 

Just because Bangkok "is a City" and has metered taxis, does that mean Phuket should not have metered taxis???? 

Public transport is an essential service and is not only confined to "Cities." 

The Pattaya baht bus system moves thousands of locals, tourists, and expats, 24/7.  Why don't you think a similar system would work here?

They could have a similar system up and running tomorrow, and with existing vehicles, if the transport mafia was under control.

Edited by NamKangMan

The project study should not take that long to complete.  Would be nice to see it posted on the internet for all to view.

The ideal system for the west coast would be looping circuits of smaller vehicles in each beach, which could tuk tuks.  Like Pattaya has now.  You also need a beach to beach service running north-south connected to the looping beach routes.  An airport service via VIP bus has been partially tried but hasn't worked yet, so maybe wait and see.

The other side of the coin is the rush hour traffic going to and from work.  Mostly Thais on motorbikes, but cars mixed in as well.  If somebody owns a car, doubtful they would take a bus over the hill.  For motorbikes, it will take longer and cost more than self-driving.  Probably hard to get many converts, even if free.  Let's see what the study comes up with.

Connection with LRT is ludicrous.  Focus in west coast beach towns and inter-beach services.  This ain't rocket science.

13 minutes ago, sekmet said:

Connect Kata to kamala ; loop baht bus in Patong. Done.

Will never happen .  makes too much sense. too easy to implement . 

"Will never happen .  makes too much sense. too easy to implement." - this goes back to LIK's post.

It makes sense, is easy to implement, and has already happened, and is successful, in Pattaya, yet, it will never happen here.

The reason is, the transport mafia run Phuket. 

22 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

I agree. 

You are expecting the poor overworked tuk tuk drivers to work all day?. Who would keep all the side walk seats warm?

14 hours ago, GiantFan said:

The project study should not take that long to complete.  Would be nice to see it posted on the internet for all to view.

The ideal system for the west coast would be looping circuits of smaller vehicles in each beach, which could tuk tuks.  Like Pattaya has now.  You also need a beach to beach service running north-south connected to the looping beach routes.  An airport service via VIP bus has been partially tried but hasn't worked yet, so maybe wait and see.

The other side of the coin is the rush hour traffic going to and from work.  Mostly Thais on motorbikes, but cars mixed in as well.  If somebody owns a car, doubtful they would take a bus over the hill.  For motorbikes, it will take longer and cost more than self-driving.  Probably hard to get many converts, even if free.  Let's see what the study comes up with.

Connection with LRT is ludicrous.  Focus in west coast beach towns and inter-beach services.  This ain't rocket science.

The plan alone is going to cost almost USD 3 million.

I have no idea how they are going to productively spend all that cash on a plan. All they need to do is to make an anonymous post on Thai Visa and we'll do it for them!!!!!!!! Free!!!!!!

On 13/11/2016 at 11:57 AM, yellowboat said:

Article did not mention hiring any Singaporeans to help out with this project.  You may want to hire experienced people who currently maintain a successful system.  

Hiring experienced people does not guarantee a successful system.  You need political will to push for it.  Even the bus system in Singapore today has its problems.  I can't see any political will in Phuket.  Too many people with influence with conflicting agendas.

5 hours ago, useronthenet said:

Singapore is decades ahead of Phuket. Perhaps before trying to run, learn to walk first!

Singapore also has nearly zero corruption. I don't see any Thai government officials or consortiums chomping at the bit to emulate that little trait.

As long as corruption is allowed to run rampant in Phuket, there's little chance for meaningful infrastructure improvements that would benefit everyone.

I, and I think a few others, missed one of the main points here.

This consortium is called the Phuket City Development Co Ltd (PKCD). The emphasis should be on the word City.

Looking at the maps provided with the concept, initially they are only planning to create a commuter system servicing Phuket City, not Phuket Province. They are not going to venture into the west coast tourist nor the southern population centres in the first 5 year stage of the concept. Therefore clashes with the main mafia groups should be minable.

The plan for a complete transport system is 20 years down the track, if it ever happens at all.

I don't think anyone will interfere with stage 1. Don't underestimate the influence of "key people from prominent Phuket business families".

Small steps, but hopefully it will eventual lead to real change.

On 14/11/2016 at 2:24 PM, Reigntax said:

You are expecting the poor overworked tuk tuk drivers to work all day?. Who would keep all the side walk seats warm?

Yes, they are lazy. 

They would rather play cards all day and then rip off one tourist for 400 baht, than drive all day and make a lot more money.

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

This consortium is called the Phuket City Development Co Ltd (PKCD). The emphasis should be on the word City.

Looking at the maps provided with the concept, initially they are only planning to create a commuter system servicing Phuket City, not Phuket Province. They are not going to venture into the west coast tourist nor the southern population centres in the first 5 year stage of the concept. Therefore clashes with the main mafia groups should be minable.

The plan for a complete transport system is 20 years down the track, if it ever happens at all.

I don't think anyone will interfere with stage 1. Don't underestimate the influence of "key people from prominent Phuket business families".

Independent tourism will have all but collapsed on Phuket, in 5 years time.

In 20 years time, Phuket will be another Costa del Sol.

As other members have mentioned, it is corruption that impedes Phuket's progress.

The only way for Phuket to deal with this issue is with Thai Army intervention.  The Thai Army has been in power for over 2 years, and they will not even touch this issue.  Thus, there is no "hope." 

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

As other members have mentioned, it is corruption that impedes Phuket's progress.

The only way for Phuket to deal with this issue is with Thai Army intervention.  The Thai Army has been in power for over 2 years, and they will not even touch this issue.  Thus, there is no "hope." 

1 hour ago, NamKangMan said:

The Costa Del Sol hs made quite a comeback after people realised their mistakes and have now created a much more pleasant place to visit. But they have decent roads, a train system, mater taxis, pedestrianised beach areas, controlled umbrellas and beds on the beaches, and it's clean. 

I agree that Phuket is heading the way of the Costa Del Sol in the nineties. Will it recover in the same way?

7 hours ago, madmitch said:

The Costa Del Sol hs made quite a comeback after people realised their mistakes and have now created a much more pleasant place to visit. But they have decent roads, a train system, mater taxis, pedestrianised beach areas, controlled umbrellas and beds on the beaches, and it's clean. 

I agree that Phuket is heading the way of the Costa Del Sol in the nineties. Will it recover in the same way?

I agree with you MM.  Recent reports suggest Costa del Sol is making a come back. 

Have you ever known Thai's to learn from any foreigners, either as individuals, or collectively?  Just look at their draconian foreign employment laws here.  They really don't want to learn from foreign experience, and foreign country experiences.  This country could have been bigger, and better, than Singapore, alas, it's a basket case.

In my opinion, by the time Phuket / Thailand "wakes up" -  their competition, particularly, Vietnam, will have have seized a large slice of the lucrative western tourist market, and their competition will hold onto that market for decades, in the same way Thailand did, thus, Phuket will be a Costa del Sol for some time. 

They resist change here, despite financial loss.  No future in that. 

On 13/11/2016 at 10:40 AM, LivinginKata said:

You have to wonder what this consortium is smoking. Phuket will live in the dark feudal days for another 20 years. The mafia rules every aspect of local authority .... sad 

They did not talk about any Bus line connecting Kamala, Patong, Karon and Kata anyway, or did I miss something ?