Luggage Lookers: Major Thai airports to X-ray incoming items on baggage carousel

webfact

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

My Bag always got pulled out by the Sniffer Dog in Poland almost every time on my many trips a year their. A bit annoying after awhile as you go to a private room, empty everything out of your suitcase, and have a Customs Official do a close inspection on it and every thing else.

I have never carried anything like illegal drugs before and in this suitcase so I was puzzled why he always chose my bag. It got to the point that I knew the sniffer dog by name (Brutus) and he would smile at me every time he saw me.

The Customs Official was surprised by this to, as Brutus is seldom wrong, so after further investigation with his superiors, he concluded that my suitcase must have rubbed against another suitcase that did have drugs it it, on some other flight, and why Brutus could still smell it.

Amazing Dog and a sense of smell to detect something so small and so long ago. But he did cost me a new suitcase even though my old one was still like new. But Brutus still smiled at me and wagged his tail when I walked past him next time. But lucky for me I didn't have to stop for another visit.   

A little off topic, but along the theme in the post. 

The first time I left Thailand in 1973, when I was in the Army, the Military Police at the Udon Thani Airport, told me that their drug sniffing dog had alerted on my back pack.  They wanted permission to search it.  I said yes, knowing that there was no drugs in it.  They also requested that I strip down to my shorts and they let the dog smell each item of clothing.  

Their drug sniffing dog, however, did not alert on my hands, with which I had just 30 minutes before, been rolling wacky tobacco with.  I could still smell it on my hands myself.  Neither did it alert on any of my clothing, especially my pants, which had that same wacky weed dropped on them.  

I think that someone at the company called them had claimed I had something with me.

There may be good, well trained dogs, that can find drugs of all kinds, but I suspect that sometimes the dogs alert to something else and not drugs. 

The customs beagle who was roaming around the baggage carousels at the  Newark International Airport followed by his handler, also failed to smell the apple in my carry on backpack, one time when I returned from Thailand.  

Back on topic: 

I am now wondering if my bags will be x-rayed and pulled aside the next time I go to Thailand.  I have a nephew (Thai) that buys shoes off of ebay and then are sold  in Thailand by his business partner and friend.    I have, on several trips, had a large suitcase packed with up to 30 pairs of shoes.  

I guess I am just a mule.  I am paid $10.00 a pair to take them to Thailand.  Never paid less than $200.00 dollars doing this.  My wife (also Thai) packs the shoes, so we know what is in the bag.  

As I reported earlier, when the AEC mob were in town they were X-raying every bag coming through customs. Not one jot of attention was being paid to the screen, attention being shared between the operators mobile and chatting to their mates.

I arrived at Suvarnabhumi yesterday with three bulging bags and walked straight through customs. Three staff sitting at the X-ray machine talking to each other whilst two staff were watching three Japanese emptying their bags for inspection. This was the customs area at luggage belt 22 which is smaller than the main one, less staff and always talking to each other.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect