best way to obtain non-imm O visa on basis of marriage

I am sure some will think this topic has been explained to death but I still find it confusing so would appreciate one more explanation.

I am in Thailand (Bangkok), entered on a 30 day visa exemption 11 days ago.  I am married to a Thai - we have been married for 30 years but have hitherto lived in UK and USA.  I have just paid 400k into a bank account.  

I would like a non-immigrant O visa on basis of marriage or retirement with multiple re-entries as we plan to travel hence will have multiple exits, some possibly for extended periods, from the Kingdom.

I gather going to Savannahket is an option, but I have read I would only get a single entry visa.  It seems a shame to spend so much effort for a single entry.  A previous post lists the documents needed but does not mention the need for proof of funds.  Is this also a requirement?  If I need to demonstrate having had the funds in my account for 60 days, I will need to go somewhere for a fortnight as even with a 30 day extension they will have been in the account for 45 days at the end of the extension.  Are there any alternatives?

Another option is CW in Bangkok although from previous posts it appears significantly more burdensome and it seems that here the issue of having had the funds for 60 days will definitely be a problem.  Is this correct?

I understand Chiang Mai is a place to avoid so the third alternative would be to return to UK or USA and apply from there.

Please let me know if there are any other options worth considering and what you would recommend.

For a visa you ought to be able to get a 12 month multiple in Savannakhet (although I vaguely recall reading something about only issuing single entry visa's on the 1st application) .  No financials are needed there.  You certainly can get one in Penang but there you will need THB400K in the bank.  It does not have to be in the bank for any specific period of time.

You wont get a visa within Thailand but could potentially get an extension of stay by converting your current entry to a single non-O which would give you a 90 day entry at the end of which you could then apply for a 12 month extension of stay based on marriage.  That would need the money in the bank for 60 days but that wouldn't be a problem in your case it seems.

I'd go to Penang in your case, you've got the money in place so no issue there, and they will issue a 12 month multi.  Plus the fact that its a nice place to go for a few days.

What you need is a Non 'O' visa and 90 day entry/permit to stay so that you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay and a multiple entry re-entry permit. There are a couple of ways to achieve that. 

You can go to Savannahket or Vientaine and easily get a Single Entry Non 'O' visa (2,000 baht).

or

Apply for a Non 'O' visa at immigration in Bangkok (maybe your local office) on the basis that you qualify for an extension of stay. You'll need to apply with at least 15 days of your permission to stay left. You'll need to make two visits. 

1. Apply for the visa. 2,000 baht. Proof of the 400K.
  2. Collect the visa and receive a 90 day permit to stay.

Once you've got your visa outside Thailand or at immigration, and received your 90 day permit to stay you can apply, within the last 30 (maybe 45) days, for the extension of stay. It costs 1,900 baht. You need to have the 400K in your account for at least 2 months before applying for the extension. Once the extension has been issued you can apply for the re-entry permit for 3,800 baht.

If you don't want to go down the extension of stay route you can get a Multiple Entry Non 'O' visa (5,000 baht) from Savannakhet, or Penang, Maylasia. You can enter as often as you want, but can only stay a minimum of 90 days per entry.

If you were married abroad you'll need to register the marrigae in Thailand before applying for the extension of stay, but a foreign marriage certificate would be accepted when applying for a visa outside of Thailand.

2 hours ago, nihil30 said:

How can i get a 1 year extension of Non immigrant O based on marriage without enough monthly salary oder 40k in Bank. I sometimes read about agents they offer this. Is this a safe way to get an extension. And have agents around Udonthani?

Rather than trying to get a fraudulent extension of stay you could go to Savannakhet, Loas and get a 1 year Multiple Entry Visa without the need to supply any financial. You will need to exit/re-enter every 90 days, but it's possible to stay nearly 17 months using this visa and a 60 day extension of stay, before needing a new visa or applying for a 1 year extension of stay.

Edited by elviajero

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Does the requirement to have 400,000 in the bank mean a Thai bank or can it be your regular bank in your home country ?

• If applying for a visa or extension at immigration it must be in Thai bank. 
  • If applying for a visa at an embassy/consulate it can be in a non-Thai bank.

Any visa, every visa, is for making a visit to Thailand for the purpose stated on the application form, ie the applicant lives outside Thailand. Therefore, it would be unreasonable to require evidence of a specific sum of money in a bank account in Thailand as a condition for the issuance of the visa.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• Like 1

23 hours ago, elviajero said:
  • If applying for a visa or extension at immigration it must be in Thai bank. 
  • If applying for a visa at an embassy/consulate it can be in a non-Thai bank.

Hmmm.......kind of strange that. If you walk into a Thai bank these days to open an account they will ask you for a work permit. Many banks will not allow you to open an account without said work permit. Yet you need money in a Thai bank account for a visa extension even though it is not as easy as it used to be to open a bank account here.

I had this experience myself at the bank of Ayudhaya where they refused to let me open an account. I then politely asked if they could recommend a bank that would accept my one million baht deposit. The manager was called for and quickly decided I could after all open an account . No explanation given so it gave the distinct impression that a little bit of money talks louder than official guidelines.

I have the required funds but given Thailands current situation am not enthusiastic about transferring any more money here when the goalposts are on very liquid foundations. Hence my personal preference for the multi non O.

Sorry to hijack guys, but am I correct in understanding that if there is the equivalent of 400k in a UK bank account I can obtain a multi non O based on marriage in a different place than Savannakhet? 

It seems that the flights are expensive, and I don't fancy the 9 hour bus ride from Bangkok.....

Thank you!

3 minutes ago, ukmark67 said:

Sorry to hijack guys, but am I correct in understanding that if there is the equivalent of 400k in a UK bank account I can obtain a multi non O based on marriage in a different place than Savannakhet? 

It seems that the flights are expensive, and I don't fancy the 9 hour bus ride from Bangkok.....

Thank you!

The consulate in Penang, Malaysia.

• Like 1