Thai celebrity speaker denied visa to US

webfact

Thai celebrity speaker denied visa to US

p1.jpg

Image: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- A celebrity speaker due to address Thais resident in Los Angeles and Boston next month has been denied a visa to visit the US.

She has been told she does not have enough money. And she is on a credit blacklist.

Oraphim Raksaphon - better known as Best - says the problem about the money relates to the fact that she does not have regular work. The credit problem is over an issue related to the purchase of a building that fell through.

She said that she will represent her documents with more evidence and hopes that everything will be sorted out.

Best is due to speak in Los Angeles on December 3rd and Boston on December 5th. She has been invited by the large Thai communities in those cities to be a guest speaker.

Admitting responsibility she said that the US embassy in Bangkok had acted properly according to their regulations but she hopes to get the decision reversed with some better paperwork.

She wanted to assure the US authorities that she was indeed travelling to speak and would be returning to Thailand after her assignments.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-16

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She has been told she does not have enough money. And she is on a credit blacklist.

Just curious... when the U.S. Embassy turns down a Thai applicant seeking a U.S. visa, AFAIK, they never detail the reasons why to the applicant. They get just a paper with a checkmark giving the standard reason of not meeting U.S. Immigration law requirements.

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Just curious... when the U.S. Embassy turns down a Thai applicant seeking a U.S. visa, AFAIK, they never detail the reasons why to the applicant. They get just a paper with a checkmark giving the standard reason of not meeting U.S. Immigration law requirements.

Because she is "entitled" and started complaining/whining:

"Don't you know I'm a white-skinned celbruty motivational spreeker!?"

So they told her why?

Edited by Enoon

16 minutes ago, halloween said:

Doesn't the US have laws regarding working on a tourist visa? I'm sure they have enough home-grown BS artists.

Except, the article doesn't say she was denied for seeking a TOURIST visa, just a visa without specifying the type.

She could well have been applying for one of the other types that allow limited work, such as B1 or other.

Business (B-1):

consult with business associates

attend a scientific, educational, professional, or business convention or conference

settle an estate

negotiate a contract

Illustrating how tough it is to get my wife of 5 years into the US for a few weeks of visiting relatives. She doesn't work. She's a housewife. It's frustrating. We're going to try it again next month with some more new bogus financials. She felt the interview process was over last time when she said she doesn't own a house. I'm never buying here. I have a feeling it may work this time around, just because she's applying for the second time showing she's spending a lot of money each month here. Everything now goes through her bank account. 

Assuming you're talking about a tourist visa...

My wife was approved for her first one a few months ago. She is employed regularly, but the consulate staff weren't particularly interested in that.

They were seemingly focused on two other things:

--the formal letter of invitation that I had my father in the U.S. write on behalf of my wife and that we submitted as part of her application.

--the fact that I've been resident in Thailand for many years with a stable history of retirement extensions of stay.

BTW, since you mentioned visiting relatives (without specifying whose...) the tourist visa application DOES ask if the Thai applicant has any (I assume they mean blood) relatives or knows anyone living in the U.S. My wife doesn't, but I'm guessing yes answers to either of those questions might raise some doubts.

PS - My wife also doesn't own a house or any property in her name, nor is she inordinately wealthy.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

55 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Well on the typical visa exemption on arrival that many casual tourists use for short term visits, money is rarely asked for or checked

Being on a tourist visa to Thailand does not allow you to work.

I would think that the same thing applies going to the USA.

4 hours ago, Thechook said:

Farangs have to have a certain amount of money to go to Thailand also.  Works both ways

Yes and if denied entry a  farang will come on Thai Visa and whine, soon to be joined by the chorus of TV whiners who will chant that Thailand needs them and they shouldn't turn down any farang who on his Baht 25000 monthly income single-handedly props up the Thai economy.

Whereas she said: 

Admitting responsibility she said that the US embassy in Bangkok had acted properly according to their regulations but she hopes to get the decision reversed with some better paperwork.

Can't recall many farang accepting personal responsibility or saying that the embassy or immigrations office involved "had acted properly."

Compare her behavior to the Australian woman described by ThaiFelix in another thread.

, ThaiFelix said:

Reminds me of a few years ago I was in the Thai consulate in Perth waiting to get a visa.  The girl in front of me was really spitting the dummy at the ever so helpful lady in attendance behind the counter saying "No, its you who doesnt seem to understand, all I want is a visa that allows me to enter and  travel around Thailand plus allows me to work IF at some point I decide I want to get a job, now why is this so damn difficult??!!!":sleep:

Edited by Suradit69