New Honda Rebel 300 & 500

mikebike

Thank you for your concern about Givi as a company, I’m pretty sure that anybody in this forum can use a Internet search engine to look if somebody else has problems with a product.

What I don’t like is that somebody sees a picture of a 1500 THB Honda Rebel Tail Rack, which looks like a solid construction, sold by a shop in Chang Rai and says it is rubbish, made in China and dangerous…

I’m deeply impressed that you worry about the reputation and income of a multinational, and seemingly have no problem about a small shop in Chang Mai (and by the way I only hear good things about Chang Rai Saddle Bag shop).

"Thank you for tour concern about Givi as a company" ???

Nobody is attacking a Chiang Mai shop. We are only making people aware that un calculated home made racks pose a higher risk of breaking than professional stuff.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Nickymaster said:

"Thank you for tour concern about Givi as a company" ???

Nobody is attacking a Chiang Mai shop. We are only making people aware that un calculated home made racks pose a higher risk of breaking than professional stuff.

What are the safety standards of Givi, which safety regulations and certificates do they have or follow? None - that much as there is no safety standard for motorcycle luggage...

• Like 1

Just now, Nickymaster said:

Hope you know what ISO9001:2008 for standard is? It's a production standard, meaning that an item produced as product one has the safe specifications as any other random selected item from the production... ISO9001:2015 is a bit better .... but Givi doesn't have that... No certification that specific target the safety of motorcycle luggage as example similar to CE-Certification....

• Like 1

Hope you know what ISO9001:2008 for standard is? It's a production standard, meaning that an item produced as product one has the safe specifications as any other random selected item from the production... ISO9001:2015 is a bit better .... but Givi doesn't have that... No certification that specific target the safety of motorcycle luggage as example similar to CE-Certification....

You should lecture the shops you buy your stuff from on ISO9001, not me.
  • Like 1

Sometimes when strolling around

papa notices the stainless-steel weldments:

fences, railings, &c.

The workmanship/welding/design looks great.

If someone that skilled offered a rack

then papa think no problem.

Good idea to glue the mounting bolts too as they sometime

try to escape.

Edited by papa al

3 hours ago, DLang said:

What testing has it been through and what regulations and standarts has it been manufactured to? 

Or is that unknown to the customer?

Screw that, you must be mad to trust a cheap, nameless Chinese rack with your life.

hyperbole

[hahy-pur-buh-lee] 
nounRhetoric.
obvious and intentional exaggeration.
an extravagant statement or figure of speech notintended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”.

Lots of Chinese manufacturers have ISO9001:2008, so anybody who have ISO9001:2008 makes good products and the once that have ISO9001:2015 must be even better than the once that makes products following ISO9001:2008…

You would be amazed how many Chinese “motorcycle” luggage manufacturers have ISO9001:2008 or even ISO9001:2015 but if I look with one eye at the products they make I would start laughing as the quality is so poorly.

The moral of the story is that IS9001:2008 and ISO9001:2015 have nothing to do with actual safety of a product. The only thing we can tell for sure is if one product breaks or cracks all others of the same model and production will have the same problem… as all items are made from the same material and with the same production process.

With the ISO9001:2008 certificate in the back of our mind, you can search on the Internet if any product that you want to buy ever cracked or had other problems… because you can be 100% (the ISO9001:2008 certification says so) that all other tail-rack with the same model number will have the exact same problem...

Edited by Richard-BKK

^ :huh: 

Here are some of the ones on sale at the shop mentioned.

CBR300-tail-rack-1640.jpg?v=2a700eebddf1

rearrack5_2_640.jpg?v=2a700eebddf1

No name, no info, no anything. 1,000-1,500 thb. Where do they come from? Some nameless backyard Thai that put it together in his bedroom? 

Edited by DLang
  • Like 1

I've seen (and personally experienced) too many locally made or imported noname parts just coming off of bikes and those are parts that don't even have to carry any load like license plate holder, rear mud guards etc. The standard that these cheap parts are made to are ridicolously low.

Now of course it all depends on what you're gonna put on that rack. If you carry your cornflakes from the supermarket home then chances are the cheap rack will hold up fine. But if you start packing it full of filled waterbottles and some weights then I wouldn't bet on it holding up.

The pictured racks above are structurally very weak. Even I as a complete non-expert can see that clearly. I wouldn't trust them.

• Like 2

Handling depends on many things. A fairly large bike with adjustable suspension and a proper top box that is not overloaded will still handle good enough for sports touring. Agree that in some cases and on some bikes they are dangerous, especially when making quick turns.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Very flimsy looking indeed and as mentioned; can be very dangerous or you could hurt/kill somebody riding behind you, if the luggage comes off and they hit it.

The old saying still holds water; you get what you pay for it and when talking motorcycles, don't save money. Better pay top$ and get good quality stuff like most do with crash helmets and other safety gear, well I do.

I have a 40l top box on my pcx, very good for shopping.

On my V650 and since I always ride solo only, I use a soft strap-on bag that sits on the passenger/small side rack brackets that came fitted from the factory for side boxes and that work fine.

I don't like tank bags, used them back in EU many years ago. Scratching the tank and partly taking off every time taking fuel, no thanks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mikebike said:

I guess I just don't get the infatuation with a boot/top-box or rack. Why in god's name would any biker want to carry any weight way, way back there?

papa is trying to figure out how to mount in front.

• Like 1

One problem in mounting the top-box in front

is it blocks the lights.

Guess papa could fit some lights above the box.

But so far can't really figure how to mount the damn thing.

Edited by papa al

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the Rebel 300 in the Honda showroom today, the little strict lady seller would not let me sit on it to get a feel for the riding position, but standing next to it, the saddle seems to be so low and very close to the foot pegs (and I'm just 175cm), I am wondering if an average height farang will be comfortable on this. Also looking at a few preview videos it looks like the knees of the riders (even not that tall) comes right up to the gas tank, I don't know, this doesn't seems to be a comfortable cruising position for a long distant ride... !

I'm glad you have a comfortable ride, I was just looking at some photos on the net, and it looks like the position of the pegs are further forward on most other cruisers as oppose to be Rebel .... I really need to try it myself... 

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQONoot2IfyydjlxqSse1djBLpx_o6HVdwkQaRfL22W_sAvc-CqmsiaHArX

crup_1004_04_o+2010_honda_shadow_phantom

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWhQnqcEv6NQRnJ0pjVF160a5s63b3wcv6nMKzlzekUc9V_K2_AipSNmnErg

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJkwc7JdZ1L-1lkjulywHCJ-QLHnAlcZZ8_Db7tzbsdz8LuBI6kaTIhNhOVw

• 1 month later...

Funny that you are using the bike for touring so much. Basically, it's a boulevard cruiser...

Having said that, I did ride an old-style Honda 150 CBR from Pattaya to Chiang Mai and back. Riding in the company of much larger bikes, so many hours well up the rev counter. Never missed a beat.

5 minutes ago, bobbin said:

Funny that you are using the bike for touring so much. Basically, it's a boulevard cruiser...

Having said that, I did ride an old-style Honda 150 CBR from Pattaya to Chiang Mai and back. Riding in the company of much larger bikes, so many hours well up the rev counter. Never missed a beat.

Not that it matters so much, but I have no idea what you mean by "boulevard cruiser".

Yea, I had a 150 CBR Repsol that I "toured" on, back around 2004-2006.  Boy, talk about "CBR ass", but had good fun back then.  In fact still have the CBR, but the "family" uses it now.  The Rebel many steps above that CBR, for sure.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/07/2017 at 4:37 PM, Ken said:

Not that it matters so much, but I have no idea what you mean by "boulevard cruiser".

Yea, I had a 150 CBR Repsol that I "toured" on, back around 2004-2006.  Boy, talk about "CBR ass", but had good fun back then.  In fact still have the CBR, but the "family" uses it now.  The Rebel many steps above that CBR, for sure.

Thanks for the info Ken... glad you managed to ignore so much puerile nonsense to give us a good balanced view here... It does look like a nice little touring bike. From your perspective was there anything else (main dealer new) within it's entry level/price/cc range that you would have considered? Can you also tell us a bit about your cruising/top speed thoughts etc.

• Like 2