New Honda Rebel 300 & 500

mikebike

The muffler/silencer on the Rebel looks HUGE and I bet it weighs a bit too.  Id be inclined to get something after market  but then as its mounted quite low the centre of gravity wont affect it so much.

Glad youre enjoying the rides and I prefer a bit of cloud cover when riding.... the sun can really fry ones brain in a helmet otherwise

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

The muffler/silencer on the Rebel looks HUGE and I bet it weighs a bit too.  Id be inclined to get something after market  but then as its mounted quite low the centre of gravity wont affect it so much.

Glad youre enjoying the rides and I prefer a bit of cloud cover when riding.... the sun can really fry ones brain in a helmet otherwise

Agreed on the cloud covering for comfort, but not so nice for pictures.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:35 AM, Ken said:

I just got back from a 2032 km ride on my 300 Rebel.  Starting outside Korat, near Chaiyaphum.  Back roads up to and thru Nam Nao, on to Dan Sai for the night.  Next day thru the mountains to Nan for the night.  Then back roads up to Chang Rai.  Stayed 3 nights.  Then mostly highway roads to Uttaradit for the night.  Then marathon run to Nong Khai for 2 nights.  Then back home.  Bike handled nicely thru the curves, twist and turns on the mountain roads, as well as the highway.  Very happy.  And I did have a Pillion Rider.  I did buy a small seat cushion which made her quite happy.

Couple pictures, but sorry about the overcast.  We didn't hit any rain, which was nice, but it was quite cloudy most of the trip.

Now have 16000 km on the bike.

Chang rai 2.jpg

Chang rai.jpg

Ken-What model is the Honda beside your Rebel?

7 hours ago, Ken said:

Honda CTX 700.

Now that looks like a beautiful cruising / touring bike..... Just look at the seating position in this photo, must be so comfortable and powerful  :

Honda-CTX700-2.jpg

I bet it cost a fortune too....! 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I just came accross the Honda Rebel 300.

I really love the classic retro look.

It looks a feasible buy for me because the seat at 68cm (27") appears lower than the Honda Wave and Honda Scoopy that the Thai girl and I have.

Is it suitable for a girl to drive?

I recently came accross the Honda Rebel 300.

I really like the retro looks.

I also like the fact that the seat being only 68cm ( 27") means that the Thai girl can drive it.  (It wouldn't seem such extravagant toy then).

A few questions:

1)  Should I pay extra for the ABS and how much extra is it?

2)  Is this Rebel 300 reliable and going to last for years (say 10 years)?

3)  Does it come with the passenger seat and passenger foot rests as standard in Thailand because I haven't seen a video in Thailand without the back seat and foot rests?

If it doesn't, how much extra is that?

4)  Is the passenger seat comfortable/acceptable for an 80 Kilo guy if the Thai girl is driving.

013.jpg

Edited by Cashboy
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Cashboy said:

I recently came accross the Honda Rebel 300.

I really like the retro looks.

I also like the fact that the seat being only 68cm ( 27") means that the Thai girl can drive it.  (It wouldn't seem such extravagant toy then).

A few questions:

1)  Should I pay extra for the ABS and how much extra is it?

2)  Is this Rebel 300 reliable and going to last for years (say 10 years)?

3)  Does it come with the passenger seat and passenger foot rests as standard in Thailand because I haven't seen a video in Thailand without the back seat and foot rests?

If it doesn't, how much extra is that?

4)  Is the passenger seat comfortable/acceptable for an 80 Kilo guy if the Thai girl is driving.

013.jpg

Your questions:

1.  ABS is standard in Thailand as far as I can tell.

2.  Since it has just been released beginning of this year, pretty hard to say how long will it last.  I bought it in February and have put over 30000 km on it and still going strong.  Seems "rugged" enough so far to last a long time.

3. Haven't seen one without the passenger seat and footrests in Thailand, so I am guessing standard.

4.  Back seat comfortable enough for a 50 kilo girl (so she says), but an 80 kilo guy, don't know, but I wouldn't want to be a passenger on any bike (and I am 75 kilo).

• Like 2

I agree about being a passenger on any bike...you have absolutely no control over your possible destiny.

I've road on the back of a few bikes in my younger years and can't really say that I enjoyed any of the experiences. A few were down right scary.  One guy was so short his feet couldn't touch the ground at stop lights....that should have been a warning to me.

He zipped into the city with muggins on the back of his GSX1000. 160+ kmph weaving in and out of traffic.  I was none to impressed and threw the open face helmet at him once we reached our destination.

Needless to say I returned to the Army camp via bus.

But when you're riding/driving the bike it is a completely different story. You are in control and can ride as you prefer.

Back on topic...Lots of these as rental bikes in chiang mai now. May be tempted to try one soon.

I have been doing a lot more research on the Honda Rebel 300.

This comprised of doing searches on the internet for reviews and watching YouTube.

Everyone seems to say that the Rebel 300 is an entry level motorbike and you should buy the 500 for smoothness and keeping up with traffic on the "highways".

I asked a serious motorcyclist client of mine in the UK ( has 8 bikes) that told me go for the Rebel 500 for the smoothness and definately opt for ABS.

So I started thinking; yep; it has to be the 500 then.

But then I started  reading and watching reviews that say there is a vibration on the 500 between 100 and 120 kph which i would have said was the cruising speed on the large main roads in Thailand.

I understand that the Rebel 300 can be bought at any Honda dealer and the Rebel 500 can only be bought at Honda Big Bike shops.

I then looked at the retail prices:

Rebel 300 is 145,000 bt

Rebel 500 is 220,000 bt

That is a 75,000 bt difference for exactly the same bike except the engine being a twin and 200 cc more.

My question to you all is is the Rebel 300 adequate for cruising on the main roads in Thailand for a 80 kilo guy with the 42 kilo Thai girl as pillion to go to Udon Thani 30 kms away and Koen Kean 70 kms away?

I have a CBR500R which has pretty much the same engine as the Rebel 500. Over about 95kph in top gear, which is about 4.5k RPM, vibrations start and you don't want to ride in that RPM range for extended periods of time. I have not ridden the 300 yet but a single cylinder probably wont make things smoother. You can change the sprocket in order to lower your RPM for your cruising speed. Not sure how far you can take this though.

I think a bit under 100kph is a decent cruising speed for a bike without fairing and windshield. Otherwise the windblast will be annoying after a while unless the bike has very good aerodynamics. A CB650F for example isn't too bad as the air is channeled upwards and I could cruise at 130kph no problem. But the Rebel has really bad aerodynamics for the rider.

• Like 1

Ironically,  I just don't like going fast anymore.. ride the CBR 300R.   I basically use the bike for city driving to and back from Work and Home... I have taken it out on the highways where you can let it out...Performance seems...for rides under an hour.   However, I still consider perhaps taking this CBR 300R on a Tour of the South.

On the pegs mates,  Be safe and alert.

Cheers

Edited by Rhys

Another question about the Honda Rebel.

What percent discount can you get on a new Honda motorbike at a Honda shop?

I would like to buy the standard Rebel 300 that I believe RRP is 145,000 bt or Rebel 500 that I believe RRP is 220,000 bt

I don't need all the free stuff like helmets and promotional t shirts and jackets etc. 

Edited by Cashboy

On 2/20/2017 at 12:48 AM, Ken said:

The 500 is a twin cylinder and would have two exhausts coming from the engine.

I believe that the 500 has only one exhaust and looks exactly the same as the 300 except the engine in the frame.

Edited by Cashboy

9 hours ago, Cashboy said:

I believe that the 500 has only one exhaust and looks exactly the same as the 300 except the engine in the frame.

3 hours ago, Ken said:

2 exhausts, 1 muffler.

I believe technically it's a 2-into-1 exhaust system. Two exhaust headers going into one collector/cat/muffler. The muffler is part of the exhaust system.

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, eisfeld said:

I believe technically it's is a 2-into-1 exhaust system. Two exhaust headers going into one collector/cat/muffler. The muffler is part of the exhaust system.

Your description works for me.

8 hours ago, eisfeld said:

I believe technically it's a 2-into-1 exhaust system. Two exhaust headers going into one collector/cat/muffler. The muffler is part of the exhaust system.

Sorry about my ignorance; I thought "exhaust" was the section that actually meets the air as I also thought the muffler was inside the exhaust box.

Edited by Cashboy

11 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Technically,

a header (manifold) is a collection of tubes

converging into one..

A V-8 car has two headers, normally.

So, one two-tube header on the 500 boys.

;-)

• Thanks 1