I'm from the Philippines and it's my first time visiting Bangkok. Help me. :)

peeyaj

Hi, everyone. I would be solo backpacking/traveling in Bangkok and Siem Reap  this coming December 1-8 and I am quite excited. However, being a first timer on these cities, I am quite apprehensive and excited at the prospect of traveling into new environment. I have a few questions, so kindly help me. My itinerary looks like this:

December 1 -  Manila to Bangkok, (Subvharmuni)  check-in to Khao San Road, will be visiting nearby temples and palaces (Wat Poh and Grand Palace) 

December 2 -  Bus trip to Siem Reap,  Pub Street and Night Market at night 

December 3 -  Angkor Wat! 

December 4 -  Bus trip to Bangkok, check-in to Silom Area,  Silom Night Market 

December 5 -  Bangkok Visit

December 6 -  Ayutthaya 

December 7 - ??? 

December 8 -???,  Evening flight to Manila

This would be more or less my itinerary for the travel. I will be visiting this attractions i.e. Muang Boran,  Chao Prahya/River cruise, Siam Niramhit Show etc. I have a few questions per se:

1. Aside from the places/attractions  mentioned above, can you recommend other places to visit in Bangkok or nearby area that is accessible (ie I can go back to Silom at night) and cheap? 

2. With regard to baht, is it better to exchange money in Manila or just withdraw my money via visa ATM? I have more or less 500 dollars in my account. 

3. Is 15000 baht sufficient for my travel in Bangkok? All of my accommodations are pre-paid already.  I have a separate 200 USD for my Siem Reap travel. 

4. Any general tips? 

Thank you. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Should be a fun trip!  Angkor Wat is amazing.  I'd highly recommend 2 full days.  It's an amazing place.  Change your other plans to accommodate this.

ATMs are everywhere and will pretty much give you the best rates you can get.  No worrying about the exchange rate.  Just make sure you use reputable machines.  Like the PI, there are rigged machines here.

Be careful of the transport options from KSR.  Many look great on paper, but do dodgy things on the way there.  Like changing from a nice bus to an open air pickup after crossing the border.  There are also some border scams.  Be careful there.  I'd recommend getting an eVisa.  No worries with that.  Don't pay anybody money at the border for help.

Have fun!

49 minutes ago, peeyaj said:

December 1 -  Manila to Bangkok, (Subvharmuni)  check-in to Khao San Road, will be visiting nearby temples and palaces (Wat Poh and Grand Palace) 

Oho, this is a speedy.

When do you arrive?

Be aware that due to the funeral proceedings the area around Grand Palace is very crowded.

Things to do in Bangkok

Grand Palace, if open.

Temple on the Mount

Dusit zoo

Wat Arun

Ice skating and shopping at Central World

Siam Ocean World / Loius Tussard's and shopping at Siam Paragon

Erawan Shrine

Have a massage

Visit Patpong night market (but don't go in any bars that have stairs leading up)

Soi Cowboy and Nana Plaza

Edit: Cooking Nanta show (if still on)

Vimanmek Mansion

Assumption Cathedral (for confession after you've been to Patpong, Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy!)

Stroll around Lumphini Park

Edited by LongTimeLurker

2 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Should be a fun trip!  Angkor Wat is amazing.  I'd highly recommend 2 full days.  It's an amazing place.  Change your other plans to accommodate this.

ATMs are everywhere and will pretty much give you the best rates you can get.  No worrying about the exchange rate.  Just make sure you use reputable machines.  Like the PI, there are rigged machines here.

Be careful of the transport options from KSR.  Many look great on paper, but do dodgy things on the way there.  Like changing from a nice bus to an open air pickup after crossing the border.  There are also some border scams.  Be careful there.  I'd recommend getting an eVisa.  No worries with that.  Don't pay anybody money at the border for help.

Have fun!

Thanks, noted. We have visa-free entries as we are part of ASEAN. How I wish I would extend my Angkor Wat tour! But I want to witness the activities for the King's birthday. :) 

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Oho, this is a speedy.

When do you arrive?

Be aware that due to the funeral proceedings the area around Grand Palace is very crowded.

My flight would be 6:00 am, so probably, before lunch I would be in Bangkok. Is half-day enough to visit the area? 

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Things to do in Bangkok

Grand Palace, if open.

Temple on the Mount

Dusit zoo

Wat Arun

Ice skating and shopping at Central World

Siam Ocean World / Loius Tussard's and shopping at Siam Paragon

Erawan Shrine

Have a massage

Visit Patpong night market (but don't go in any bars that have stairs leading up)

Soi Cowboy and Nana Plaza

Edit: Cooking Nanta show (if still on)

Vimanmek Mansion

Assumption Cathedral (for confession after you've been to Patpong, Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy!)

Stroll around Lumphini Park

Lumphini Park would be lovely as it is very near to my hostel in Silom! Do you think 15000 baht is enough for a 4-day tour? 

Just now, JHolmesJr said:

15K in bkk ... Well, you'll have to watch yiu dont fall in love for a night or two. 

I am not much a night person and I don't drink, it would be a clean travel. I just want to try Thai food and enjoy the attractions. :D

Excluding falling in love 3 times a day, my daily expenses in bkk are rarely over 500-700bht a day. I dont shop....eat maybe twice a day....take the bts train as much as possible....enjoy a massage or two...its one of thailands truly affordable luxuries

15k will be sufficient. 

I would visit a massage parlor and hire two maids to help me get to alpha. 

As for money exchange, it doesn't make much difference whether you get it via ATM or in the Philippines. 

But you will have better luck asking the bank. 

Money won't be a problem.

I think you're short changing yourself with not much time in Bangkok, for a first visit, and too much time on a bus to/from Siem Reap.

Is it possible to do Cambodia, Siem Reap and Phnom Penh, another time?

For me, no visit to BGK is complete without visiting Jim Thompson's house, accessible by skytrain and a very short walk.  Beautiful traditional architecture.

1 minute ago, F4UCorsair said:

Money won't be a problem.

I think you're short changing yourself with not much time in Bangkok, for a first visit, and too much time on a bus to/from Siem Reap.

Is it possible to do Cambodia, Siem Reap and Phnom Penh, another time?

For me, no visit to BGK is complete without visiting Jim Thompson's house, accessible by skytrain and a very short walk.  Beautiful traditional architecture.

I am thinking of extending my stay on Siem Reap until December 4. On December 5, I will travel back to  Bangkok for the King's birthday. However, I am thinking, if I would travel on that date, would there be any bus to travel with? Would there be massive traffic in Chatuchak? 

If you haven't heard already, the King passed away last month, there are no birthday celebrations. Generally there is also not much going on during the Kings birthday, it is a public holiday. The city usually have a lot of pretty light decoration all over the place, but this year it is different, it is still the mourning period so the lights are not being lit this year for most places.

23 minutes ago, mike324 said:

If you haven't heard already, the King passed away last month, there are no birthday celebrations. Generally there is also not much going on during the Kings birthday, it is a public holiday. The city usually have a lot of pretty light decoration all over the place, but this year it is different, it is still the mourning period so the lights are not being lit this year for most places.

Do you recommend that I stay in Siem Reap for additional day to have a 2-day visit in Angkor Wat?

I agree with the other poster. If possible, I would extend my time in Siem Reap, perhaps at the expense of seeing Ayutthaya. Ayutthaya is an impressive place, but Angkor is in a whole other league. I understand that you want to be present in Bangkok for the King's birthday, but with the country in mourning, I'd expect it to be a very sombre affair... perhaps not a 'must-see' under the circumstances. You might want to research what this year's 'celebrations' will entail before you lock into that part of your plan.

14 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Have fun!

He doesn't need a visa . He's Filipino.

41 minutes ago, peeyaj said:

Thanks everyone!! I modified my itinerary to extend my stay at Angkor Wat for another day. I will go back in December 5 and perhaps will witness the mourning and solidarity for our friends, Thais. :)

Just one note to add to the already excellent advice. During this mourning period, it is respectful to either wear black clothing or muted tones with a black ribbon pinned to your sleeve. Not required but Thais will appreciate if you did.

15 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

ATM's are everywhere, but there rates are the poorest.  Do you have money changers in the Philippines (I don't mean the bank)? A non-bank money changer will give you the best rate. I suggest bring 15-20k baht exchanged in the Philippines and then finding a non-bank exchanger in Bangkok for additional funds. I know there is one in the Pratunam Market and another on Sukhumvit Soi 3 a half a block from the Sukhumvit intersection (west side).

IMO, an ATM should be your last resort for exchanging cash.

55 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

ATM's are everywhere, but there rates are the poorest.  Do you have money changers in the Philippines (I don't mean the bank)? A non-bank money changer will give you the best rate. I suggest bring 15-20k baht exchanged in the Philippines and then finding a non-bank exchanger in Bangkok for additional funds. I know there is one in the Pratunam Market and another on Sukhumvit Soi 3 a half a block from the Sukhumvit intersection (west side).

This really confuses me. I have read posts that withdrawing a one-time large amount of baht via atm is advantageous (even with 180 baht fee)  as the exchange rate that your bank uses is generally higher than money changers. On the other hand, several posts from the Internet suggests that you bring your currency in Bangkok and go to Superich to exchange,  as it has superior exchange rates. Also, posts from TripAdvisor says that you should not buy baht in your country as it would be more competitive in buying it in Thailand. I'm really confused! Anyone? 

57 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

ATM withdrawals get the customer the Visa or MasterCard exchange rate for the previous day which is certainly not the poorest rate you can find.  Quite the contrary.  However, an ATM user is liable for paying the local ATM owner a transaction fee for the withdrawal, 180 Baht in most ATMs in Thailand.  Limiting the number of withdrawals and perhaps withdrawing more at one time will mitigate the effect of that ATM transaction fee.  Some ATMs will allow you to withdraw as much as 30,000 Baht (Krungsri Bank) while charging the 180 Baht fee.  One also must consider whether one's home bank will impose additional fees for performing a foreign transaction which can sometimes be as high as 3% of the transaction.  You can find out from your home bank what sort of fees they will assess if you were to use your ATM card outside the Philippines.

There's nothing wrong with using a currency exchange in Bangkok, if it's convenient.  Generally, a currency exchange will not charge you a fee for doing the conversion, but they will make their money on the difference between the exchange rate they offer you and the one they use themselves.  Super Rich, for example, usually has a very good exchange rate depending on the currency being exchanged.  However, you will find bank ATMs everywhere, much easier to find than a currency exchange business.  While the rate at some, Super Rich for example, is good it might not be so good at others.  The exchange rate is basically the same at all ATMs on a particular day in Thailand (depending on whether it's Visa or MasterCard, I believe Visa usually offers a more favorable one).

Good overview! Cash beats it all.

Just a little correction to the worse: since a while most banks charge 200 Baht for ATM withdrawal with foreign cards. :sad: (from ? to 150 to 180 to 200 to ??)

200/30000 = 0.67%, still not bad compared to some other methods.

51 minutes ago, peeyaj said:

This really confuses me. I have read posts that withdrawing a one-time large amount of baht via atm is advantageous (even with 180 baht fee)  as the exchange rate that your bank uses is generally higher than money changers. On the other hand, several posts from the Internet suggests that you bring your currency in Bangkok and go to Superich to exchange,  as it has superior exchange rates. Also, posts from TripAdvisor says that you should not buy baht in your country as it would be more competitive in buying it in Thailand. I'm really confused! Anyone? 

Please see my reply above.  To reiterate there's nothing wrong with using ATMs in Thailand.  You will get a very decent exchange rate.  Be aware of the fees that you will be charged (in Thailand it will be 200 Baht) and any fees you may be charged by your home bank.  There's nothing wrong with using a good currency exchange in Thailand.  Superich has generally good rates, but others may not (especially, perhaps ones at your hotel, some commercial banks, some foreign exchange companies competing with Superich, etc.).  It's simply the case that ATMs are much easier to find in Thailand than good money exchange places (of which Superich is a good example).  No reason you couldn't employ both strategies, use an ATM to get your initial Baht and when you find a Superich exchange your Philippine Pesos there.

You can even compare the Baht/Peso exchange rate before you come here.  Of course, the rate fluctuates, but you can get an idea of which might be better by looking at the Superich site and comparing the exchange rate they offer with the one available from Visa or MasterCard.  For example, Visa is offering 1 Thai Baht = 1.401101 Philippine Peso (at https://usa.visa.com/support/consumer/travel-support/exchange-rate-calculator.html/) while Superrich is offering  0.725 Thai Baht for 1 Peso, which inverted (1/x) is 1 THB for 1.379310 PHP (at http://superrichthai.com/exchange).  So, in this case at this moment Superrich is offering a better exchange rate.  You have to decide if it's better to search out a Superrich and take advantage of the better rate, or whether the convenience of the ATM is worth more to you.  You will presumably need Baht to get from the airport to a Superrich, since as far as I know there's not one at the airport.  Maybe you can exchange a little PHP for THB in the Philippines, enough to get you from the airport to a Superrich and then do the bulk of your exchange there.

In general, you want to purchase your Baht in Thailand and sell any remaining Baht in Thailand at the end of your trip.  Businesses generally do not want to hold Thai Baht outside of Thailand, so if they do, you can imagine they will want to be compensated for doing so (such as offering you a less favorable exchange rate than they use themselves).  Of course, all money exchange offers customers a less favorable exchange rate than they use themselves or they wouldn't be in business long, but for world reserve currencies like US Dollar, or Euro, they might take less of a cut to make it worthwhile for them to do so.

Edited by skatewash
It was pointed out to me that the standard transaction fee for a foreign ATM card used in Thailand is now 200 Baht, not 180 as I had earlier stated.

16 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Good overview! Cash beats it all.

Just a little correction to the worse: since a while most banks charge 200 Baht for ATM withdrawal with foreign cards. :sad: (from ? to 150 to 180 to 200 to ??)

200/30000 = 0.67%, still not bad compared to some other methods.

I stand corrected with regards to the fee being charged now for ATM withdrawal with foreign cards.  It's been a while since I used one myself as I import money into Thailand via Bangkok Bank's NY Branch and then use my Bangkok Bank ATM card to withdrawal funds as needed (no transaction fee charged within the same province).  I can remember when it used to be only 150 Baht.  Heck I can remember standing in long lines to use the AEON ATM machine because it didn't charge any transaction fee at the time.  Those were the good old days, I guess ;-)

15 minutes ago, skatewash said:

You can even compare the Baht/Peso exchange rate before you come here.  Of course, the rate fluctuates, but you can get an idea of which might be better by looking at the Superich site and comparing the exchange rate they offer with the one available from Visa or MasterCard.  For example, Visa is offering 1 Thai Baht = 1.401101 Philippine Peso (at https://usa.visa.com/support/consumer/travel-support/exchange-rate-calculator.html/) while Superrich is offering  0.725 Thai Baht for 1 Peso, which inverted (1/x) is 1 THB for 1.379310 PHP (at http://superrichthai.com/exchange).  So, in this case at this moment Superrich is offering a better exchange rate.  You have to decide if it's better to search out a Superrich and take advantage of the better rate, or whether the convenience of the ATM is worth more to you.  You will presumably need Baht to get from the airport to a Superrich, since as far as I know there's not one at the airport.  Maybe you can exchange a little PHP for THB in the Philippines, enough to get you from the airport to a Superrich and then do the bulk of your exchange there.

Really helpful! I will use your computation for the exchange. I called my bank and they told me that they are charging 150 Pesos ( 106 baht, 3 USD) for every withdrawal  transaction abroad. So, correct me if I'm wrong, 200 baht (Thailand bank's fee) + 106 baht (Philippine bank fee) = 306 baht for every transaction, which is a good meal itself in Bangkok. So, I'm leaning to Superich! Any Superich branches near Suvarnabhumi ? :D