US police officer fatally shot while writing ticket

webfact

San Antonio police officer fatally shot while writing ticket

By JAMIE STENGLE

SAN ANTONIO, TX: -- A San Antonio police officer writing out a traffic ticket to a motorist was shot to death in his squad car Sunday outside police headquarters by another driver who pulled up from behind, authorities said.

San Antonio police Chief William McManus identified the officer as Detective Benjamin Marconi, 50, a 20-year veteran of the force.

McManus said the suspect had not been apprehended Sunday night. He said he doesn't believe the man has any relationship to the original motorist who was pulled over, and no motive has been identified.

"We consider this suspect to be extremely dangerous and a clear threat to law enforcement officers and the public," said McManus, who added that after the shooting officers had been instructed to not make traffic stops alone.

McManus said Marconi had pulled over a vehicle and while he was inside his squad car writing a ticket, a car pulled up behind him. The driver of that car got out, walked up to the officer's driver-side window and shot Marconi twice in the head, then walked back to his car and drove away.

Marconi was pronounced dead at a hospital.

McManus said investigators are looking into all leads and motives, including whether it could be related to an officer-involved shooting earlier Sunday in the city. In that incident, McManus said, police fatally shot a man who pointed a gun at officers outside an apartment following a seven-hour standoff.

"Hopefully, we'll solve this one real quick," McManus said.

The police department posted a photo of a man on its Facebook page Sunday evening, saying "he might have information on the murder" of Marconi. Police are asking for assistance in identifying the man, who is shown wearing a hat and walking in the photo.

Some streets downtown were blocked off with police tape as officials investigated the slaying.

The shooting came less than five months after a gunman killed five officers in Dallas who were working a protest about the fatal police shootings of black men in Minnesota and Louisiana. It was the deadliest day for American law enforcement since Sept. 11, 2001.

Ten days after the Dallas attack, a man wearing a ski mask and armed with two rifles and a pistol killed three officers near a gas station and convenience store in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. And earlier this month, two Des Moines, Iowa-area police officers were fatally shot in separate ambush-style attacks while sitting in their patrol cars.

"It's always difficult, especially in this this day and age, where police are being targeted across the country," McManus said.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott called the slaying a "horrific act of violence." Abbott said in a statement that "attacks against law enforcement officers will not be tolerated in Texas and must be met with swift justice."

San Antonio Mayor Ivy Taylor extended condolences to the family of the slain officer and the entire police force.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-11-21

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There were two police shot yesterday - this one in San Antonio, and another cop in St. Louis, where a car pulled up net to a cop car and opened fire; the police sergeant was hit twice in the face but is miraculously expected to survive. The gunman in the St. Louis incident was later killed by officers trying to apprehend him.

I am a former cop, including several years in a street crimes unit dealing with violent street criminals.  Both of my sons are cops - one detective, one sergeant - and I wake up every single day hoping that they are both safe.

The US is awash in firearms, and far too many wind up in the hands of people who should not be allowed anywhere near a firearm, yet the NRA has a such a stranglehold on Congress that there is almost no chance of remedial legislation gaining approval.

2 minutes ago, WaywardWind said:

There were two police shot yesterday - this one in San Antonio, and another cop in St. Louis, where a car pulled up net to a cop car and opened fire; the police sergeant was hit twice in the face but is miraculously expected to survive. The gunman in the St. Louis incident was later killed by officers trying to apprehend him.

I am a former cop, including several years in a street crimes unit dealing with violent street criminals.  Both of my sons are cops - one detective, one sergeant - and I wake up every single day hoping that they are both safe.

The US is awash in firearms, and far too many wind up in the hands of people who should not be allowed anywhere near a firearm, yet the NRA has a such a stranglehold on Congress that there is almost no chance oree with uf remedial legislation gaining approval.

i totally agree with u.  while it is a complex issue, and some cops do take advantage of their superiority, "been on that end as well".   i have a lot of respect for the police that have to deal with this bs.  Anyone can have a gun in any situation.  once u put budget cuts on mental care,  not enough salary for police,  and all the drugs out there.  I find being a police man in the usa to have to be one of the toughest jobs out there.  Its a total mess, and the lack of respect is idiotic.  Who will they call when they have a problem?  Hope your sons are safe.  

6 minutes ago, WaywardWind said:

The US is awash in firearms, and far too many wind up in the hands of people who should not be allowed anywhere near a firearm, yet the NRA has a such a stranglehold on Congress that there is almost no chance of remedial legislation gaining approval.

You are a former US Cop and still believe the NRA is the problem? Like, literally the NRA is controlling congress legislation? 

Pretty far out man. 

12 minutes ago, Strange said:

You are a former US Cop and still believe the NRA is the problem? Like, literally the NRA is controlling congress legislation? 

Pretty far out man. 

Do you live in a cave perchance?

The NRA can and do directly influence congressional elections. They have both the money and the lobbying power.

They are extremely good at what they do, although in my opinion misguided.

18 minutes ago, Strange said:

Pretty far out man. 

Not even going to engage with you if you believe that the NRA is not a major impediment to responsible firearms regulation in the US.

6 minutes ago, Chicog said:

Do you live in a cave perchance?

The NRA can and do directly influence congressional elections. They have both the money and the lobbying power.

Wasn't talking to you Mr. Englishman. 

Just now, WaywardWind said:

Not even going to engage with you if you believe that the NRA is not a major impediment to responsible firearms regulation in the US.

The NRA Has nothing to do with Legislation. Congress = Legislation. People use the NRA as a cop-out and say things like "Well the NRA gave money to so & so's campaign therefore so & so works for the NRA" 

Its retarded and I don't agree with it at all. I do however value the NRA and Im a lifetime member. 

4 minutes ago, Strange said:

The NRA Has nothing to do with Legislation. Congress = Legislation. People use the NRA as a cop-out and say things like "Well the NRA gave money to so & so's campaign therefore so & so works for the NRA" 

Its retarded and I don't agree with it at all. I do however value the NRA and Im a lifetime member. 

Like I said, not going to engage because there is no chance that you will ever change your opinion, short of a tragedy which affects you personally, and maybe not even then.

I could have easily guessed that you value being led around by Wayne LaPierre and his ilk at NRA. Maybe not so much if you ever had to face the effects of his rhetoric up close and personal as I have many times.

6 minutes ago, WaywardWind said:

Like I said, not going to engage because there is no chance that you will ever change your opinion, short of a tragedy which affects you personally, and maybe not even then.

I could have easily guessed that you value being led around by Wayne LaPierre and his ilk at NRA. Maybe not so much if you ever had to face the effects of his rhetoric up close and personal as I have many times.

Look, I got a lot of respect for law enforcement, to a point. I have family in law enforcement as well. 

I do value my right to protect myself when you guys are not around. NRA isn't leading me anywhere. 

Anyway I have no idea what you are talking about with the whole 'tragedy & dangerous rhetoric' deal. 

3 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Cops Lives Matter.

Just out of curiosity, are you saying "Cops' lives matter more than other peoples' lives?" Because if you're not saying that then there's no need to comment at all. All lives matter. Cops' lives are included in that. So are black lives.

2 minutes ago, Get Real said:

No but you took part in the conversation, and then you might be the one that should wear a plastic bag when the rain of truth are upon you.

Welp, considering the demographic of this forum, I don't expect much support. But, um, yeah. lets all just blame the NRA for running congress & stuff cause that makes sense & stuff because tragedy & stuff. 

Anyway, with a Repub Prez-elect, Senate, House, and some Justices coming up, I'm good for a while and the NRA & Firearm Debate is pretty much an untouchable issue. 

Its unfortunate that some crazies do crazy things. 

3 hours ago, Chicog said:

But let's make sure they keep letting nutters get guns eh?

:saai:

Come now if they don't have a gun they would not be effective against criminals.

Besides..have you seen those countries where they only give the cops batons?

pffft 

Just now, Strange said:

Welp, considering the demographic of this forum, I don't expect much support. But, um, yeah. lets all just blame the NRA for running congress & stuff cause that makes sense & stuff because tragedy & stuff. 

Anyway, with a Repub Prez-elect, Senate, House, and some Justices coming up, I'm good for a while and the NRA & Firearm Debate is pretty much an untouchable issue. 

Its unfortunate that some crazies do crazy things. 

Just wait to see what the new clown in the US can do about that. I am pretty sure that he can mess that up real good too. Even if he like guns. It´s just that the wrong people in the wrong places always seems to be the mother of a perfect disaster.

1 minute ago, Get Real said:

Just wait to see what the new clown in the US can do about that. I am pretty sure that he can mess that up real good too. Even if he like guns. It´s just that the wrong people in the wrong places always seems to be the mother of a perfect disaster.

Seems like you are foaming at the mouth in anticipation.... 

I got some bad news though - aint gonna happen. Good ole USA will be just fine. 

2 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

The supply of guns and the carry regulations are clearly a problem.  That said, there is a much deeper societal problem that is much tougher to fix.

People that legally buy and go through the process to legally carry guns don't shoot police officers. 

Just now, Strange said:

Seems like you are foaming at the mouth in anticipation.... 

I got some bad news though - aint gonna happen. Good ole USA will be just fine. 

Yep! Once a believer, always a believer. Stay strong! Ain´t going further with this, and ain´t even near the country anyway.

I actually hope it´s going to be fine. There is a lot at stake here.

Edited by Get Real

1 hour ago, Chicog said:

Thats because "your opinion" comes from being raised in a different country and getting all your info from BBC & the like with out any real on the ground exposure. You choose to be critical of everything the US does, and thats entirely your problem. 

10 minutes ago, Strange said:

Such a well thought out and articulated response. 

So what about this? Since you didn't get the first one

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/07/12/dallas-police-killer-reportedly-bought-weapons-legally.html

Investigators in Texas reportedly believe that the sniper who shot and killed five Dallas police officers Thursday had legally purchased the weapons

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/20/AR2010112002865.html

Legal purchase was the leading source of weapons used to kill police officers. In 107 slayings, the killers acquired their firearms legally. In 170 deaths, The Post could not determine how the shooters got their guns, including 29 killings in which weapons were not recovered

Edited by bokningar

1 hour ago, Strange said:

Perhaps you can convince a class of first graders, but anyone over the age of 6 knows the NRA have mega-influence with politicians and laws.  NRA shovels tens of millions of $$'s to politicians who play ball with increased gun sales operatives.   With Trump at the helm, NRA will push for liberal gun laws nationwide, without state-by-state limitations.   That will translate to open- or concealed carry of semi- and automatic weapons anywhere in the US.  Right Wing hate groups will love it.  So too will hardened criminals, mafia-wannabes, and drug dealers.   Brace yourselves for many more firearm deaths in upcoming years.   Some will be baddies, and some will be innocents, but the numbers will surely soar, and gun sellers and NRA/gun huggers won't mind a bit, unless it's someone they care for.