Gen Prawit wants all CCTV cameras checked and linked up together

webfact

1 minute ago, fruitman said:

A girl is a girl, but not in Thailand...Those wires are soo thin you barely see them, they might even use fibrecables for it. You'll hear and see from these camera's after another bomb went off in BKK, i guarantee you that.

What will the cameras say ?

not that simple. to connect them they would require them to be connected to the internet. many systems are stand alone. many are on private property so i doubt they can get access to them. this was proposed for phuket a few years ago. never heard how far they got with it. probably not very. is a lot harder than it sounds. i just went to buy more cameras for my system today as they only last a couple years before needing replacing.

10 minutes ago, Eligius said:

It has NEVER been about stopping crime. It has always been about control.

Sometimes I think Orwell, who wrote 1984  literally in his last dying months, might not have bothered. Who listened to his warning? Are they listening now?

maybe he has flown on a 'jolly' to London, and simpleton(ly) liked the look of them

but his idea will only work if there are 1984 'working' CCTV units working in BKK etc

Edited by tifino

Computer-controlled cameras can identify, track, and categorize objects in their field of view.

A system using VCA can recognize changes in the environment and even identify and compare objects in the database using size, speed, and sometimes colour. The camera's actions can be programmed based on what it is "seeing". For example; an alarm can be issued if an object has moved in a certain area, or if a painting is missing from a wall, or if a smoke or fire is detected, or if running people are detected, or if fallen people are detected and if someone has spray painted the lens, as well as video loss, lens cover, defocus and other so called camera tampering events.

VCA analytics can also be used to detect unusual patterns in an environment. The system can be set to detect anomalies in a crowd, for instance a person moving in the opposite direction in airports where passengers are only supposed to walk in one direction out of a plane or in a subway where people are not supposed to exit through the entrances.

VCA can track people on a map by calculating their position from the images. It is then possible to link many cameras and track a person through an entire building or area. This can allow a person to be followed without having to analyze many hours of film. Currently the cameras have difficulty identifying individuals from video alone, but if connected to a key-card system, identities can be established and displayed as a tag over their heads on the video.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed-circuit_television

we use Alfed (app), to spy on our pet Cockatiel when we are out shopping

and it is sooo hi-tech, we can link 4 old smart phones,

and each scare him on the 2 way comms of the App

(when we see him being a naughty boy)

spy on animals - NOT people

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

Mate this topic is about the camera's, not about the electric cables...

What seems to be your problem? The poster was merely pointing out history about other pronouncements from upon high.

There is always much talking and very little action. Hence the scepticism of further pronouncements.

I still think they should just make us all wear tracker bracelets, as that would be a lot cheaper. Better still insert micro-chips.  I would feel a lot safer knowing that someone out there knows where I am at all times and I am sure that it would play a major part in National Security, which appears to be the new buzz word and the reason for any Goverment action whatsoever.  :whistling:

10 hours ago, Lupatria said:

...and while we're at it, in phase two we make it mandatory for every household to have at least one camera connected to the system inside your home and every tenant will get a free bar code tattooed to the forehead.

You know, that was the way they identified citizens in feudal Siam, at least kingdom of Ayutthaya. I'm not sure about Sukhothai. Every "phrai" had a tattoo on his wrist. I don't know exactly what information was written there, but I'm pretty sure it specified the location where he was required to perform his labor service (tax).

9 hours ago, fruitman said:

Which will be mounted on a wall covered by a tray....so no more webs of wires sir....time to wash the buffalo mate.

Your extreme confidence in Thai workmanship, forward planning, environmental concern, true diligence and absolute safety is admirable. I wish you every success in your mission to convince us all of the same.

If this is going to come to fruition, then it's time to buy stock in storage manufacturers .. these images will need to be stored for some considerable time (120 days ??). Analytics will certainly help, but there will have to be new massive infrastructure, control rooms, trained monitoring staff, etc. You can bring regulations requiring cctv to be installed in allsorts of locations (remember the hoo ha about installing cctv in the bars ??), but who is watching all of this ?? This will take years to fully implement.

15 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

It does enable less officers to be on duty, sitting in a nice warm office watching screens. 

That old fashioned idea of a realistic force, with operational officers out on the beat and in patrol vehicles supported by CCTV rather than replaced by it, obviously is just too sensible.

CCTV in London has seen the police become more remote from communities, and allows much more selectivity in crime response. That might keep budget conscious politically correct politician happy, help police produce nice statistics, but it hasn't been appreciated by the general public. Theft - Met now seem to regard as an insurance issue.

Can't see that working here. BiB like to be out and about, especially lunch and dinner times! 

And most importantly tea time