Govt approves 10 year visas for foreigners over 50 

Just now, wealthychef said:

I'm going in for my first 1 year visa next week and will see how it goes.  I don't see any information on the government websites.  

That's because the current 1-year visa that you are applying for isn't going to disappear within the next 7 days.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

''Applicants for the visa are expected to be foreigners who live in provinces such as Chiang Rai , Chiang Mai , and Chonburi the spokesman said''  How very strange so if you live in Bangkok it doesn't apply. It appears this isn't for foreigners per se but for a select few who want it.

14 hours ago, acid thunder said:

Hmm, well, on closer inspection it doesn't seem to be quite all singing all dancing.

I think you are right 100k annual income or 3m hmm its the health Insurance that is going to be the problem, 50-60 is ok but then the screws start to turn and you will have to drop out and then to where? 3M left in the account should be enough insurance to satisfy the requirements.

Once again hopes dashed by a good idea being over developed.

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

but how ELSE would people normally interpret the word REPLACE!?!

So you're using a strict interpretation of "replace" but not bothered by the reference to a "renewable one year visa?"

Are you currently here on a renewable one year visa? So no worries then.

Of all the things you've become quasi-hysterical about over the years, and there have been quite a few in recent memory alone, how many have actually worked out in the worst case scenario that had you all aquiver? 

Edited by Suradit69

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

''Applicants for the visa are expected to be foreigners who live in provinces such as Chiang Rai , Chiang Mai , and Chonburi the spokesman said''  How very strange so if you live in Bangkok it doesn't apply. It appears this isn't for foreigners per se but for a select few who want it.

"Expected" does not equate to "requirement".

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

Thai gov probably sees expats in BKK as working, not retirees.

3 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

"Expected" does not mean "required."  

9 hours ago, Grubster said:

Hey naam, we don't have to listen to this crap, We paid our dues and if this works out good for us then so what, I didn't see anything in the story that said any other ways of satisfying the immigration laws would be eliminated did you? Are some jealous because we worked our ass off to get where we are or what?

i did not refer to you but to a specific poster who is continously posting derogatory incorrect comments about me. please untwist your knickers and don't listen to my crap.

2 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

"It would replace one-year renewable visas and come in two installments of five years each, Athisit said. It was not immediately clear when the plan would be implemented."   source:  http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2016/11/22/govt-approves-10-year-visas-foreigners-50/

i.e. NOT within the coming week. Relax.

Just now, soalbundy said:

I agree but why even mention the three provinces at all ?

'cos the Phuketeers are all monstrously wealthy, have yachts and condos all over the world, have no plan to stay any great length of time in LOS  and thus don't have a need for this new visa.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

i.e. NOT within the coming week. Relax.

I'm sure you are right, thanks.  Don't worry, I'm pretty relaxed.  I'm not the sky is falling type and the worst case scenarios are almost always wrong (just look at the reporting on Trump for an example of how the sky is falling in the USA).  I'm a single guy with very little on the line.  But I'll try to come back with a report about what I learn if anything, as I plan to ask the lady there.  Maybe she'll help.  

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Totally agree.

Awesome bit of clickbait though.

Well done TV!

31 pages ( already ) for  nothing : nowhere is written that the one year visa will disappear, the " replace " means that , for the people who will have the new visa, this visa  will replace their old one year visa , and why only in some provinces and why only a few countries ?

32 minutes ago, tilaceer said:

Me     !     I do not need anywhere near this amount to live here comfortably....

Good point.  Thai sage fathers, sitting in their lavish air-conditioned chambers in Bkk, don't know much about what farang deal with. They know there are farang with lots of money (like their golfing buddies) and that's who they want to deal with.  There are others types, some of whom are doing good things for Thailand, such as interacting positively with their Thai communities.  Some of those 'other' farang don't have much money, but they're not a drag on their Thai communities.     I know farang who are growing a portion of their own veges and fruit, who are teaching English for no compensation, who are spending a million baht/yr on living expenses, and who are sharing skills re; organic farming, alternative energy, avoiding mental illness, etc.  Those sorts of things (other than spending money) are not easily quantified by baht or dollars.

I know some good guys who have left Thailand permanently in the past year. Reasons vary; too difficult to get visas, not enough money, too much noise, bad air.  At least two of those who left permanently have lots of money, but they didn't like the bureaucracy.   I'm going to write those folks and tell 'em they didn't leave too soon, as now the bureaucratic knots are getting even more gordian.   

Try telling a Thai bureaucrat that this country's boundaries are man-made and have switched like a wriggling snake for centuries.   ....and that the original people here were Malays with near-black skin, and thick lips and wide noses.   You'll probably get an angry look for your efforts.   To take it a step further, tell 'em that, if the age of the Earth were put on a yearly clock, the first people here would have arrived about 1/10th of a second before midnight on NY's eve.     We're all newcomers, .....even the oldest, most established families.   If I sound like an old hippie, that's because I am an old hippie.   I'm not Christian, but I love Jesus' response when someone asked him whether we should pay taxes.  His reply, after looking at who's likeness was on the coin; "Give unto Caesar that which is Caesar's."   

6 hours ago, rogeroc said:

It is 100% understandable that some Expats will be worried about the proposed changes and i really hope that they will be accomodated.

However in effect this is a new product and presumably primarily designed for people, in the future, wanting to reside in Thailand for a long period of time. I am from the UK i don't think it is unreasonable to expect to have either Baht 100000 per month income or Baht 3000000 savings (particulary so if the income and savings can be combined) to stay for 10 years even if those figures must be reconfirmed after 5 years.

I knew from many years back that i wanted to retire abroad and i set myself a combined income and savings target to be able to comfortable do so before i took retirement. The figure i set myself was way in excess of the proposals on the table here!

This... Some folks seem to think its some kind of hatred of the poor or something.. When in reality its more simple amazement that people would sell up, put all thier eggs in one basket, and plan a multi decade life when on such a knife edge of weak finances. 

If your looking at a decade or two future ahead of you, understand that 100k a month income is not a lot to move and retire in a rapidly developing and prospering region. If thats your budget, consider it very carefully and do nothing which is not living on a year to year visa, with a strong foothold back in the social safety nets of your home country. 

5 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I agree but why even mention the three provinces at all ?

To fluff up their reporting and make it look like they are saying something wise, when really they are just passing on an announcement from the government.  What's weird is that there is no link to an actual government announcement.  Is this how government announcements are made in Thailand, through magazines?  

57 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Indeed, but I don't visit immigration to report.

Sadly there's zero meat on the bones of the reports as to what exactly this visa is and who are the targets.

What they do with Re Entry single and multi ?

14 hours ago, catinthehat said:

IN addition the article goes on to say: " Applicants for the visa are expected to be foreigners who live in provinces such as Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai and Chonburi, the spokesman added. "

So no foreigners have ever moved to Isaan then?  Someone on that panel has their head up their fundamental orifice, by the looks. 

I'd say that the largest proportion of all foreigners living here probably live in Isaan.  Yes, there are also plenty in the North, Pattaya and down the western coast, but I susect most foreigners end up in Isaan and Bangkok area.

I am from China and have 100,000,000,000 baht in over 10 bank accounts....this is EASY...

There are millions like us.

to the few thousand poor............don't worry, this was designed to alienate you more!!!!

there really are plenty of rich people on this planet....when i'm 50, i can satisfy this.....

but have a house abroad and still not sure if i want to retire in LOS....

18 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

I'm going in for my first 1 year visa next week and will see how it goes.  I don't see any information on the government websites.  

Visa or extension of stay, they are 2 different things. Visa is what you enter the country with and you get that outside of thailand. Extension of stay is after your visa runs out. Sometimes if you use the wrong term, you will get the wrong information.

3 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

Wow you Americans must all be rich. In my country a pension of 3000 USD or in Euros 2823 is well well above average. In fact in the Netherlands the average wage is probably in the 2200 euro range, give or take. Now even IF someone waits until they are 65, the most they can hope to get is about 1800 euro maybe a hundred more if they are lucky.

People just dont get the inflation aspect thats coming.. 

I employ people right now in Holland and belgium.. These are lowish skilled construction workers.. I am paying them 1200 euros a week +- 

Who is existing on 450 euros a week ?? Poles ?? Slovakians ?? 

22 minutes ago, the guest said:

I think it proves, that making long term plans in Thailand is not wise when your an expat. Your stay here could at any time be revoked.

And i'm pretty sure bank funds FROZEN, then seized......a nice 3 million baht!!!!!  and likely a house sold...

6 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Visa or extension of stay, they are 2 different things. Visa is what you enter the country with and you get that outside of thailand. Extension of stay is after your visa runs out. Sometimes if you use the wrong term, you will get the wrong information.

Sorry I wasn't clear.  I'm applying for my non-immigrant "O" visa next week.  I'm currently on a 60 day tourist visa.  

Edited by wealthychef