Police check point. Gimme a break

Anthony5

18 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

Exactly, and that is also part of the reason why I got so upset that evening.

A few hours earlier I was on Nua Road and the pedestrian light at Tesco was red. Two minivans had already stopped for the light, so I was the third in row.

I noticed tourists already crossing the road from both sides, with the ones going towards Tesco unable to view upcoming traffic because of the stationary minivans.

Comes a cement mixer who had just left the Terminal 21 site, at full speed going through the red light, missing by a hair the tourists on the zebra's.

How can you not notice that you pass 3 stationary vehicles in line?

After the light turned green I went on my way direction Central Pattaya, and on the first red lights on 3rd road where you go right to Hollywood disco, I had to wait again because it was red. I was may be fifth in line there.

Again comes a car to the left side, honks the horn because some motorbikes were waiting on that lane, and goes through the light as if there was none.

Then when I reached sukhumvit over Pattaya Tai, where the light was already green when I arrived, I noticed 3 cars coming from the south side crossing the light whereby the bikes on Pattaya Tai road that already were moving had to brake abruptly to avoid being killed.

:wacko:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

Again comes a car to the left side, honks the horn because some motorbikes were waiting on that lane, and goes through the light as if there was none.

on some of those T  junctions ( rotate T 90 degrees left ) you can actually go straight on at the red light but  only if your in the leftest hand lane..there is one on Sukhumvit near the Theprasit/Tesco junction...its quite strange  you get 3 lanes having to wait  but the leftmost lane can just carry straight on.

I like the turn left on red light rule it very much speeds up the traffic flow

( as long as I don't make a wrong lane choice and have honkers behind because I really don't want to turn left but are forced to)

Riding southbound on Sukhumwit on Thursday morning a police checkpoint between South and Chaiyapreuk was stopping all motorbikes. Hiding under the trees to deal with us unruly foreigners were two of the volunteer <deleted>. When I explained that I had inadvertently left my licence at home as I was in a big rush, one made a tick on a piece of paper and said "Go pay fine". The policeman at the desk was very polite but wanted no evidence that I actually had a licence, just had to pay a 200B fine for not having one with me and allowed on my way.

That's not law enforcement - that's just blatant money collection. Just about every bike rider was being fined for something.

Edited by Rimmer
slur also moderation

1 hour ago, johng said:

on some of those T  junctions ( rotate T 90 degrees left ) you can actually go straight on at the red light but  only if your in the leftest hand lane..there is one on Sukhumvit near the Theprasit/Tesco junction...its quite strange  you get 3 lanes having to wait  but the leftmost lane can just carry straight on.

I like the turn left on red light rule it very much speeds up the traffic flow

( as long as I don't make a wrong lane choice and have honkers behind because I really don't want to turn left but are forced to)

The one I'm talking about is a cross section instead of a T-Junction, so the one lane go through doesn't apply there are anywhere else on 3rd road, and in fact i find that rule one of the most life threatening I can think about.

It gives the people a false sense that there is no traffic coming from the left, and then, surprise.

Especially the one you mention, which is the Khao Talo junction, which has a road going only 30 - 40 meters to the right on sukhumvit, which is used a lot. Especially during school hours as it leads to Aksorn Pattaya school.

So it is not a T-junction, but I would rather call it a semi-cross section, and dnegrous as hell for people who have to enter that road comong from Khao Talo.

The turn left rule would speed up traffic flow if you were allowed to turn left, but the rule here is that you're not allowed to turn left at most traffic lights, and have to wait for the green light sign.

Many years ago the only junction in Pattaya you weren't allowed to turn left at a red light was where Second road meets Central heading North. The only sign indicating this ban was only in Thai and right by the conveniently placed Police box. Traffic-wise there was no reason for the ban. There was always a load of bikes at the side of the road where the driver had to make their own way to Soi 8 to pay the fine and return to collect their bike. The pattern hasn't changed in 30 years.

Edit: I wasn't discussing moderation Mr Rimmer, I was simply asking where my avatar had gone since the site enhancement. I can't find where to reset it in the menus.

Edited by eefoo
Polite question deleted by Moderator.

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 9:25 PM, Anthony5 said:

Ever considered that it is because those fools don't do their job, 28.000 people evry year die on Thai roads, which tomorrow may include you or me?

Country you come from is free of traffic accidents? Gimme a break.

On 24/11/2559 at 10:09 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

While a zero-tolerance policy on helmets would save lives, it would also be somewhat impractical in the short-term.  Long-term it's a matter of slow education.

nope. cops dont want people to wear helmets. thats how cops make their money, by collecting fines. the police force in thailand are not the same as back in the western world. it is not an easy concept to grasp for many people.

On 24/11/2016 at 2:19 PM, 4MyEgo said:

As long as they didn't stop you & ask for a bribe, wouldn't worry about it, their country, their relaxed laws, I don't really see an issue, "it is what it is" 555

Might just be the beginnings of a 28,000 to 30,000 road death toll old cock

Nothing to get excited about 5555555

As you say its their country

On 11/26/2016 at 0:52 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

The only way to survive Thai driving is to assume everyone is trying to kill you and drive accordingly. Saved me many times. The only time I was injured was when I was stationary and unable to avoid the idiot that drove into me.

I've rented cars in several countries lately that people on various travel forums said were super dangerous.  Georgia, Romania, Bulgaria, Lithuania, etc.  I'd take driving in these countries any day over here in Thailand.  Night and day difference.

You see a lot of check points set up solely for the purpose of getting money, such as the motorcycle helmet crackidoodle or the heavy truck stopping exercise where you see 50 trucks stopped way ahead of the checkpoint just waiting for the cops to go home.

But there is one check that baffles me every year, and that is the "you can count on it" check set up to check the sticker on your windscreen, this one check point never fails and always focus on actually collecting fines instead of bribes, which is puzzling......

Those posters who say "TIT, pay no attention, it's their country, get on with your life, etc, etc, etc." -- are you for real? Tens of thousands of innocent kiddies are being killed or maimed for life each year because of this very attitude. It sickens me. Our complaining might not change anything in the short term, but it's the height of irresponsibility to just shut up and say nothing at all, like mindless bloody sheep. Saying nothing means nothing will happen. Having a bitchh like Anthony5 might just be enough one day to provide the spark that sets reform in motion. Saying nothing definitely won't. Bitchh away. And .... drive responsibly, I don't won't to be your next victim.

1 hour ago, bandito said:

Country you come from is free of traffic accidents? Gimme a break.

I never claimed that, did I?

But to give you and idea, the latest year I can find statistics from is 2013, and that year my country had a death toll of 10.7 per 100.000 Vehicles, while the death toll in Thailand in the same year was 74.6 per 100.000 vehicles.

Does that say enough to you?

On 11/24/2016 at 9:34 PM, 4MyEgo said:

I hear you mate, but it has been the way it has been for ever, you and me can't change anything, people have to fear the police like back in Australia, you wouldn't think twice about leaving your place without a seat belt on, going over 60, or 40 in a school zone, all you can do is do as I do, have eyes everywhere and drive slow 555

You don't fear the police in Oz,you fear the huge payout.

I am not concerned about seat belts and helmets at all, either way.  What I don't understand is the fact that if you are not at or near a police block or one of few cameras, you can do anything you like. Driving down the wrong side of the road, no problem, parking in the "highway" no problem etc etc.  I guess overall I just laugh and carry on but I can't see it getting any better with roadblocks as the only deterrent.

2 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

nope. cops dont want people to wear helmets. thats how cops make their money, by collecting fines. the police force in thailand are not the same as back in the western world. it is not an easy concept to grasp for many people.

Fair enough for the police,but where are the brains of mc riders,all over the road sometimes.A lot more helmets being worn these days but plenty still refuse.The one i hate is when the 2-3 year old stands up on the seat between the parents.

16 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

Fair enough for the police,but where are the brains of mc riders,all over the road sometimes.A lot more helmets being worn these days but plenty still refuse.The one i hate is when the 2-3 year old stands up on the seat between the parents.

I can't post the video here, but yesterday saw a video on FB taken in Pattaya, of a policeman on a motorbike with his dog standing on the back seat with an umbrella in his mouth.

The policeman was wearing his police trousers and a baseball cap with police logo, but of course no helmet, and went though a red traffic light as if wasn't there at all.

I notice the video has been posted on this forum

Edited by Anthony5

On 11/24/2016 at 9:19 PM, 4MyEgo said:

As long as they didn't stop you & ask for a bribe, wouldn't worry about it, their country, their relaxed laws, I don't really see an issue, "it is what it is" 555

that's an appropriate attitude if you don't live here...or if you obey the laws and believe that a threshold of reasonable safety has been reached...but the lack of enforcement affects anyone who actually lives here and must encouter the apathy...what if your kids or wife were killed by a drunk driver who was ignored by the police?

7 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

Zebra crossings are for zebras in Thailand.

Amazing stuff there, sadly it is not even close to being a rare event.  They built several of those walk bridges over the hwy by me and I never see anybody use them, well the kids do play up there some.  I probably wouldn't use them either as you need to be a mountain goat to climb them.  I feel bad when I see people trying to cross roads here, I hope it improves but looks like getting worse is more likely.

In my home town, they built an underpass that everybody uses, its only ten foot down and back up, with gentle ramps, no steps.

On November 24, 2016 at 9:25 PM, Anthony5 said:

Ever considered that it is because those fools don't do their job, 28.000 people evry year die on Thai roads, which tomorrow may include you or me?

I don't think they even count the ones getting killed on the hwy through my village, they just toss em on the burn pile.

On 11/24/2016 at 10:12 PM, Anthony5 said:

Helmet law is in place for 20 years already, which I don't call short term, but the real issue isn't that they didn't stop them for no helmet.

The issue is that they didn't stop them at all, so they could be drunk, carry a weapon or drugs, or whatever other SERIOUS offence.

The helmet law may have been around for years, but it is only enforced in some areas. The same situation exists with other traffic laws. I was drinking with a group of Thais, including two police. The topic of the discussion came to police corruption. It was acknowledged that some police take bribes and even intentionally stop farangs because they are easier to extract money. I asked why not simply enforce the traffic laws; e.g., running red lights, going th wrong way, stopping in the middle of the road etc., ad infintim. I was told that would be too much trouble because Thais were used to doing those things; then, it was noted that doing so would not bring as much money, because it was Thais who mostly did those things. Just then a bike with two policemen ran the reed light going the wrong way. 

2 minutes ago, smotherb said:

The helmet law may have been around for years, but it is only enforced in some areas. The same situation exists with other traffic laws. I was drinking with a group of Thais, including two police. The topic of the discussion came to police corruption. It was acknowledged that some police take bribes and even intentionally stop farangs because they are easier to extract money. I asked why not simply enforce the traffic laws; e.g., running red lights, going th wrong way, stopping in the middle of the road etc., ad infintim. I was told that would be too much trouble because Thais were used to doing those things; then, it was noted that doing so would not bring as much money, because it was Thais who mostly did those things. Just then a bike with two policemen ran the reed light going the wrong way. 

It is that Mai Pen Rai attitude that kills the road users in Thailand.

I remember many years ago they did a 1 month test with 10 red light cameras in Bangkok. At the end of that month they had +76.000 pictures.

I'm sure if they would install red light cameras at all major cross sections throughout the country, and charge AND COLLECT 100 Baht per offender, the cameras would pay for themselves within the first 6 months.

1 hour ago, Dexlowe said:

Our complaining might not change anything in the short term

Or in the long term.

, but it's the height of irresponsibility to just shut up and say nothing at all, like mindless bloody sheep.

Rather, the height of rationality. Nothing sheep-like here except following the herd into yet another Thai driving, traffic laws, and traffic law enforcement complaint thread.

Saying nothing means nothing will happen. Having a bitchh like Anthony5 might just be enough one day to provide the spark that sets reform in motion

That's what we might call The Whinger's Fallacy. A not-uncommon defense of our posturing, school marming, hand wringing, and the smug superiority of having the solutions.

This particular whinge goes back at least 30 years, indeed ever since farang set foot in Thailand I suppose. Here's Oliver W. Minto complaining about the dangers posed by the lack of traffic lights and local idiot driving on the new--entirely useless, of course--"Grand Prix track." And of course about do-nothing Authorities allowing it all, so that it's most likely there never would be any lights:

. . . a Grand Prix track . . . . At the moment there is no evidence to suggest that traffic lights will be installed. The fourth solution, and the one most likely to be adopted, is to do sweet nothing! First come first across, and where is the nearest hospital? . . . What on earth is the point of the new Third Road? (Apart from providing the local idiots with a race track.) It ends in a full stop at the Crystal Beach which hardly anyone wants to visit. . . .

Oliver W. Minto, "What to do about Third Road junctions," Pattaya Mail, Vol. V No.11 Friday 14 March 1997 - 20 March 1997

Farang complaints over the many years have done nothing to improve Thai driving habits and never will do anything. We've merely repeated them all again here. Some of our more obtuse or FOB posters have finally figured out the poetry of the Thai traffic light, the dangers of the zebra crossing etc. etc. and wish to share the excitement of discovery. Good progress. :) Yep, way it is.

As has been said ad nauseam, drive defensively, have your paperwork in order, wear protective clothing (bikers), and "face piles and piles of trials with smiles." That's IT. Or if you're that worried, as many of our Nervous Nellies are indeed, then  stay away from the roads--which, yeah, may mean leaving.

Meanwhile, we can expect at least 50 pages of TVF traffic cop "incident reports"--to which I could add a few pages, but what's the point?

Edited by JSixpack

You write as if you have forgotten what country you are in and are surprised at what you saw. The police are smart enough to realise that they get paid whether they do their job or not so it's simply easier not to bother. They also know full well that Thais (including the police) do not accept any kind of discipline so they don't bother trying. They have a similar helmet law in Bali and no doubt in other areas of Indonesia. There, 95+ percent obey the law, in Thailand 95+ percent do not. Different countries, different culture, and you can't alter the culture of a people so nothing is going to change.

For all those posters in this thread, who claim that my OP is just another whinge and nothing ever will change.

I guess the traffic situation in your country was perfect when the country was founded, and no improvements ever had to be made?

I'm sure there also were never corrupt policemen in the history of your country, and law enforcement was just perfect from the start?

My post will probably not change much, I agree to that, but if just ONE policeman takes heed of it or just ONE deadly accident was prevented because someone took up his responsibility after reading this thread, it will have been well worth the effort.

46 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

It is that Mai Pen Rai attitude that kills the road users in Thailand.

I remember many years ago they did a 1 month test with 10 red light cameras in Bangkok. At the end of that month they had +76.000 pictures.

I'm sure if they would install red light cameras at all major cross sections throughout the country, and charge AND COLLECT 100 Baht per offender, the cameras would pay for themselves within the first 6 months.

Yeah, bu that requires logic and common sense. I was waiting for some paperwork at the Driver's License bureau and was having coffee by the driving portion of the process. As they called each new prospective license holder to drive the course, the first road sign was a stop sign, then a left turn. Only two in 18 prospective license holders stopped. 

This morning  going south on Sukhumvit  at the newly opened dangerous U-tuns ( near Makro )  there is a police checkpoint  stopping every motorcycle and checking for helmet, licence,tax and green book copy

Edited by johng