Prawit admits election may be delayed 'if risk of damage'

webfact

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Well well well, who would have thought it eh? I wonder if the UN will hear about it, not that they can do anything, except laugh and cry at the same time...'...but you said (this & that) now you're saying maybe not.'

Wonder if it has anything to do with American President elect apparently not giving a hoot about Thailand.

We can be sure that after a meeting with someone from the UN a junta spokesman will be delighted to announce that the UN completely understand, and are most impressed with the effort being made to follow the roadmap...understand problems...Thailand's unique situation blah blah blah.

31 minutes ago, david555 said:

yes.. bad luck for them  that yingluk does not flee the country ....,the longer they wait with free elections the more sure they gone to be loosing once more ... 

Well if they go on delaying elections she may well have finished her 5 years long impeachment period...:)

2 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

Oh the irony. The hallmark of this administration must be that they don't allow different views. You even have the reason for the coup wrong.....

I'd agree, except that expressing an opposing view doesn't now lead to intimidation and street riots. At the same time, they might have stopped people protesting but they haven't stopped them thinking, so return to free elections and the opposing parties, seeing things only in black and white, will likely be at each others throats again.

And the reason for the coup was, if not to stop the rival factions killing each other? To end corruption :cheesy:? To prevent the overthrow of the Highest Institution?

13 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'd agree, except that expressing an opposing view doesn't now lead to intimidation and street riots. At the same time, they might have stopped people protesting but they haven't stopped them thinking, so return to free elections and the opposing parties, seeing things only in black and white, will likely be at each others throats again.

And the reason for the coup was, if not to stop the rival factions killing each other? To end corruption :cheesy:? To prevent the overthrow of the Highest Institution?

The highest institution was never at risk. Ending corruption was never the goal. Ensuring continued power to certain peoole was, and with the new constitution this has been ensured. Make no mistake, whenever they do get around organizing elections, they won't really matter.

Of course history has shown over and over again that dissent cannot be stopped by show of force.

1 hour ago, sjaak327 said:

Yep, if they wait until january 2020, she has served her ban from politics :)

I am sure they will invent some new 'law' or 'rule' that will keep her out for even longer. They can do whatever they want. They have all the guns, all the bombs, all the power - but they don't have all the Thai people!

8 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I am sure they will invent some new 'law' or 'rule' that will keep her out for even longer. They can do whatever they want. They have all the guns, all the bombs, all the power - but they don't have all the Thai people!

" all the power" but no will to stamp out corruption, cronyism or reform their rival, the RTP. All this would be for the benefit of the country and Thai people. Who? Anything done will only be for benefit of the elite. The leopard does not change its spots! 

I guess it's official then.  Thai people can't handle democracy.  

An antelope gets born and, within 3 to 10 minutes is standing, and by the next day it can trot.

A human baby gets born and can't even turn itself over for months, and can't stand or walk for years. In some cultures, humans aren't even ready to go out in the real world until they get to their 20's or 30's.  In Thailand, people aren't allowed to vote until they're....  well, ......until they're allowed to by the military.   

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You just forgot a small detail, which is that one of the two  political faction you cite is actually in power. Which was the reason for the coup (in relation to another obvious factor).

17 hours ago, waldroj said:

Constitutionally, they can't do this !!!

Both Prawit and Meechai are telling porkies.

Their only mechanism for delaying elections (once the Constitution is promulgated) would be by surreptitiously manipulating the date the four organic laws currently being drafted by the CDC (relating to: the election of Members of the House of Reps and the Senate; the Election Commission; and Political Parties) are enacted.

Section 268 of Prayut's so-called "people's" Constitution clearly states:

Election of members of the House of Representatives under this Constitution shall be held within one hundred and fifty days as from the date the organic laws under Section 267 (1), (2), (3) and (4) have come into force.

It's going to be interesting to see how they this weasel out of this without further alienating the Thai people.

election_update.jpg

He also stated that he will decide if any elected official will take office for the next eight years. Then if he lets them he will decide what they can do. Easy man, don't you understand democracy?

16 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

I would just be happy to see an economic growth map. I don't care who is in charge as long they as they drive this faltering and short sighted economy or we have we overlooked that?

What is the National debt in Thailand?

23 hours ago, Eligius said:

According to the new Constitution, 'the sovereign power belongs to the Thai people'. 

It might be a good idea if the Thai people were actually allowed to speak and were listened to!

Thailand = freeland.  Yu'p where public hate speach can be made as long as it is of the right political color.

Thailand = freeland.  Yu'p free as long as you shut your mouth and leve everything to us.

Thailand = freeland.  Yu'p free as long as you don't compliane or ask the wrong question or else your free to live somewhere else.

Thailand = freeland.  Yu'p where civilians are tride in military courts.

Thailand = freeland.  Yu'p where elections are held and the looser can take government.

Thailand = North Korea.  

Prawit says the situation changes day by day and month by month but in another thread the PM told the Joint Foreign Chambers of Commence that the country is " as stable as it has been ' and the country is moving forward etc !

In other words they'll say whatever needs to be said on a day to day basis to justify any position and need plus the right to maintain a resident ' threat(s) ' to continue doing whatever they want to in order to cement their hold and control.

1 hour ago, joecoolfrog said:

' Needed reforms '

Oh how precious , must be lovely to be so sweetly naive.

Look up the histories of Singapore, S. Korea and Taiwan.  Every one of them was set on a road to democracy and a strong economy by a strong man.  Corrupt to the core, but strong enough to maintain order at the trough so that enough of the countries' resources accrued to the benefit of the people.

Is Prayuth that guy for Thailand?  I don't know.  But I'm seeing favorable changes, and I'm not reading about people disappearing, mass graves or fingernails being ripped out. 

Maybe it'll be a disaster.  But I'm with Einstein.  Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results this time...  Hopefully, they've learned after a dozen coups followed again and again by kleptocracies, leading to yet another coup, followed by another kleptocracy.

Naive?  Maybe.  But not insane enough to believe turning the reins over to the usual suspects will result in anything different than the last times.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Look up the histories of Singapore, S. Korea and Taiwan.  Every one of them was set on a road to democracy and a strong economy by a strong man.  Corrupt to the core, but strong enough to maintain order at the trough so that enough of the countries' resources accrued to the benefit of the people.

Is Prayuth that guy for Thailand?  I don't know.  But I'm seeing favorable changes, and I'm not reading about people disappearing, mass graves or fingernails being ripped out. 

Maybe it'll be a disaster.  But I'm with Einstein.  Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results this time...  Hopefully, they've learned after a dozen coups followed again and again by kleptocracies, leading to yet another coup, followed by another kleptocracy.

Naive?  Maybe.  But not insane enough to believe turning the reins over to the usual suspects will result in anything different than the last times.

Those strong men are elected. They have the mandate from the people to lead and to reform. They will be voted out if they lose the trust and support by mismanaging the country. Surely you can't say the same for a government that seize power from an elected government and suppress dissent and expression and corrupted with impunity.