Passenger van operators want to return to Bangkok's Victory Monument

webfact

Passenger van operators want to return to Victory Monument

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi4Fs6tuQORE9qixbHsC2IJ88K

BANGKOK: -- Operators of inter-provincial passenger van service have petitioned Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha asking for their vehicles to be relocated back to the Victory Monument, claiming that both the operators and passengers have been affected by the change of the parking site.

In a petition to the prime minister, Mr Boonsong Srisakul, acting president of the Association of Inter-Provincial Passenger Van Business, claimed that several passengers who would have to do some business or to visit hospitals around the Victory Monument found it very inconvenient to get off at one of the three bus terminals designated as the parking lots for the vans.

He claimed that van operators themselves had also been affected by a drop in passengers using their service after they were forced to park at one of the three bus terminals.

He also claimed that the space at the bus terminals was too small and not convenient for van operators.

Passenger van operators are allowed to use space at the three designated bus terminals without any charge for a certain period of time after which they will have to pay rental fees for the use of the space.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/passenger-van-operators-want-to-return-to-victory-monument/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-11-25

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate the minivans as much as the next man, but if driven somewhat half decently, they do provide a much needed service. 

On Pahon Yothin road there is a more visible police presence. They're ushering vehicles to move to help ease the traffic. There are a few stops on the side of the road where you can park your car. It's not for parking, and I'm not actually sure what they're for. Anyway, minivans park in there for about 10 mins most while passengers load on. They're not allowed to do it anymore so they stop abruptly on the road every 20 metres to pick people up. 

Anyway, there's one of these parking spots opposite central. You'll quite often see a white Mercedes with a red plate parked there. Guess the owner has a restaurant there or something. For some reason, the white Mercedes can park there, but minivans can't stop there for 10 mins. Another reason why the roads are so messed up. Little enforcement and no consistency. 

I wonder if there are any ''operational fees' they usually pay to the BIB and now the military have stopped this someone isn't getting a big slice of pie every month. Just a thought.

I have also noticed a spot on Ramkamheng Road where the police had road block at least 3 or 4 times a week and stopping anyone and everyone, has now a soldier sat there. Not one road block since his appearance. Funny that!

Edited by Laughing Gravy

Easily the worst decision made as of late. 

If they want to cut congestion how about they address the ever growing number of private cars, or maybe improve the awful road layout?

Victory monument is the perfect location for bus and van services to connect at. Moving them is a superficial move designed to give the appearance of progress, rather than making hard choices elsewhere. 

Edited by the donger

"Passenger van operators are allowed to use space at the three designated bus terminals without any charge for a certain period of time after which they will have to pay rental fees for the use of the space."

And there lies the real reason that they want out of the bus stations.

1 hour ago, Mango Bob said:

This move must be the craziest move this government has made.    Everyone is pissed about this move except those who don't use this service because someone drive them where they want to go.

But consider that Victory Monument was severely congested due to the minivans. Sometimes the traffic was solidly jammed all the way to Saphan Kwai intersection and nothing was moving - cars, buses or minivans. The two lane road between Phaholyothin and Din Daeng Road was used by some minivans as their own personal collection points, thus blocking that. Then there were taxis stopping everywhere in stuck traffic to despatch passengers for the minivans, or collect them as they got out of of minivans. Yes, some of us do have to drive, whether by choice or necessity, just as in any city. Then there are other vehicles such as delivery vans and commercial vehicles that have no choice but to pass Victory Monument. There is a huge improvement in that area now.

Also,  was no organised place for passengers to board and many were dodging traffic to run to a minivan that was stopped and blocking traffic, thus putting those pedestrians in danger. 

And as Sphere said "What could be more convenient than blocking 2-3 lanes at the city's biggest roundabout?" 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

, Mr Boonsong Srisakul, acting president of the Association of Inter-Provincial Passenger Van Business, claimed that several passengers who would have to do some business or to visit hospitals around the Victory Monument found it very inconvenient to get off at one of the three bus terminals designated as the parking lots for the vans.

Wow, several passengers? That many eh?

Boo hoo...the upside of your relocation massively outweigh any inconveniences  several people may experience. 

As previously suggested the ending of free rental may be the real cause of this "petition" to the pm. 

Edited by Bluespunk

1 hour ago, Mango Bob said:

This move must be the craziest move this government has made.    Everyone is pissed about this move except those who don't use this service because someone drive them where they want to go.

what about the congestions problems it causes. unfortunately there is some pain when a new idea is tried out but if the new idea is not working it should be given up.

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Wow, several passengers? That many eh?

Several critically ill passengers in ambulances headed to Phayathai 2 hospital will also probably be grateful that the transit time has been significantly reduced now as well.

14 minutes ago, CelticBhoy said:

"Passenger van operators are allowed to use space at the three designated bus terminals without any charge for a certain period of time after which they will have to pay rental fees for the use of the space."

And there lies the real reason that they want out of the bus stations.

They had to pay rental space at VM also

The real reason is nobody is using the minibus service since they moved to the new locations as I found out myself a couple of weeks ago, 

The minibus companies are totally correct in what they are saying, it needs to be moved back to VM for the convenience of the passengers and to ensure the drivers can keep their jobs and also for domestic tourism as many Thais use the minibuses for their trips away

36 minutes ago, impulse said:

Are any of the 3 bus stations on the MRT or BTS?  

Or are they like the last one I used that cost 100+ baht in a taxi just to get to it?  

For the North East Minivan operators and users the move to Mor Chit 2 was ridiculous. Their former parking locations at Victory caused NO congestion. Now  from Mor Chit BTS to Mor Chit 2 you have the choice of a 20 minute walk, a taxi if you can get one or by necessity a "scary" motor bike taxi!

Edited by Raaraab

we should ****all**** be able to conveniently travel.... unimpeded.... quickly.... at low cost... not just by air... all 7 billion of us. (not).

that would be really cool. (not).

oops! did I go off topic? (not).

Edited by maewang99

I wonder why they don't convert the Express side of Makhassan into a mini-bus terminal and add a few hundred food and trinket kiosks into the acres of vacant space indoors and out.  Easy access to the ARL x MRT, and some utility out of the white elephant they built.

5 minutes ago, Raaraab said:

For the North East Minivan operators and users the move to Mor Chit 2 was ridiculous. Their former parking locations at Victory caused NO congestion. Now  from Mor Chit BTS to Mor Chit 2 and vice versa you have the choice of a 20 minute walk, a taxi if you can get one or by necessity a "scary" motor bike taxi!

The minivan pandemonium at Victory Monument "caused NO congestion"? Seriously?

1 minute ago, fruitman said:

I want to get rid of ALL minivans. And a better mrt/bts system....Bang Sue has to be improved, have to walk too far there. Travelling by 2 persons it's still cheaper/faster to get a taxi anyway.

Good idea but doesn't help us travellers from the provincial cities

2 minutes ago, Raaraab said:

Good idea but doesn't help us travellers from the provincial cities

Just let the minivans operate from the real busstations ONLY...no more stopping every 300 metre at mainroads, no more stopping/waiting at the malls....the big bus can do that.

13 minutes ago, Raaraab said:

Now  from Mor Chit BTS to Mor Chit 2 you have the choice of a 20 minute walk, a taxi if you can get one or by necessity a "scary" motor bike taxi!

Or use the new, free shuttle service.

3 hours ago, trogers said:

The drop in business could well be due to their excellent driving records...

It really scares the <deleted> out of me to travel in such a grave bucket vehicle.....

Edited by lostinisaan

1 hour ago, bubba said:

Isn't there regular bus service to the provincial cities?

Probably.  

And if I'm going to take the trouble to go to one of the 3 relatively remote bus stations, I'm probably going to forgo the mini-van and hop on a professionally driven big bus instead of a kamikaze mini-van.  Their main advantage was mostly the convenience of a handy drop off point.

Mango Bob is correct.  Madness!! I have used the Pranburi service regularly for years.  Our buses went in off the highway, straight underneath the overhead freeway and straight back out again.  Did not touch Victory Monument roundabout.  Very organized under there.  I am disgusted  every time I think of the number of workers for which those buses are a lifeline, not to mention business/holiday/family travelers.  The extra burden of wasted time and money that has now been added to their daily travel  lot is shameful.   Why not split the services between VM and Makhassan.  At least they are central and connected to BTS or MRT.  The people who use these vans have not been given one iota of consideration and deserve just as much convenience as all the car/taxi users.  I will not use the service now until hopefully a better solution is in place but what about those who have no choice.

Lets all enjoy  the spacious areas at Victory monument.  There were a few of the mini

bus companies that actually had offices, If they had been allowed to stay and kick out

the rest of the free loaders  that had tiny illegal booths.  This situation would have been

better, and,  Yes there is also the regular buses that operate from a few locations,  but  are

a bit more inconvenient.  Boo Hoo.

Geezer