Award winning Thai cop nabbed over armed ATM robbery

webfact

Award winning Thai cop nabbed over armed ATM robbery

co.jpg

Picture: Daily News

SUPHAN BURI: -- A Thai policeman who had previously received an achievement award for his performance has been arrested for carrying out an armed robbery on an ATM as it was being filled up with cash.

The robbery took place at a Krungthai Bank ATM at a PTT petrol station in Suphan Buri on Nov 21st.

Today Pol L/C Withoon Phetpankan, 24, from Chonburi was arrested by officers from Provincial Police Region 7.

Police alleged that Withoon carried out the robbery and was aided by Somnuek Somsuay, a food vendor who had a stall at the PTT station, reports Daily News. Police say Somnuek, who is still on the run, tipped off Withoon as to the time when the cash delivery van would arrive at the petrol station.

Police also said that Withoon’s brother, who also remains on the run, helped him escape.

The robbery was captured on CCTV, which showed a man wearing a motorcycle crash helmet approach the cash delivery workers as they filled up the cash machine.

The suspect could then be seen fleeing on a motorcycle with the cash. As he fled he fired in the direction of the cash delivery workers.

However, the job of the investigators was perhaps made a little easier due to the fact the suspect had dropped his mobile phone at the scene.

Police later also found the crash helmet, motorcycle and clothing dumped in a pond nearby.

Today police also said that only last month Withoon had received and outstanding achievement for his work investigating cases.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-25

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, the job of the investigators was perhaps made a little easier due to the fact the suspect had dropped his mobile phone at the scene.

Police later also found the crash helmet, motorcycle and clothing dumped in a pond nearby.

Today police also said that only last month Withoon had received and outstanding achievement for his work investigating cases.

Time for the next "outstanding achievement for extraordinary stupidity".  Dropped his mobile phone while updating his facebook page. :1zgarz5:

An outstanding Google translation.......:

The villain single 9 mm gun. Shoot and threatening three shots to his head three Porter money. The money was put ATMs in Thailand's Bank of petrol PTT along two roads - the Lat Bua Luang. Len's. The two brothers. Suphanburi before sweeping the five million baht, then fled. until last Police solve crimes To arrest A. The. The. Lazuli Ratatouille comparably aged 24 years Dir. Among the police investigation. Bueng Chonburi. Troublemaker by Mr.Somnuk the pretty 35-year-old merchant who was selling corn popcorn. Gas in the scene A power point range, and Mr. Chai Ratatouille comparably aged 35 year-old brother took real villains escape. And found evidence motorcycle helmets, shoes, clothing. The criminals were thrown into a pond, Gail. The abandoned house at No. 57 Moo 2 Tambon Ban Phai Bo Ya. Don Lemon after the cause is under investigation, officials now suspect. Reportedly proposed to the... อ่านต่อที่ : http://www.dailynews.co.th/crime/538731

Edited by lostinisaan

4 minutes ago, tifino said:

'top cop', shown in the article by Rank as L/C

I bet everyone assumes that means Lt COL

555  I reckon he was just a Lance Corporal

Lance Corporals need the money...

L/C  - lousy cop is more like it

4 minutes ago, Artisi said:

L/C  - lousy cop is more like it

Lazy Creature, perhaps? 

Send him to an inactive post, playing a "Fai Daeng" for three years. 

Electricity for free.

Edited by lostinisaan

3 minutes ago, fruitman said:

I always wondered why the guys filling the atm's were not armed. They asked for this to happen but a cop?? 

With such a low rank, the income from tea money just wasn't sufficient -so next best move is to expand your criminal activities. 

2 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

An outstanding Google translation.......:

The villain single 9 mm gun. Shoot and threatening three shots to his head three Porter money. The money was put ATMs in Thailand's Bank of petrol PTT along two roads - the Lat Bua Luang. Len's. The two brothers. Suphanburi before sweeping the five million baht, then fled. until last Police solve crimes To arrest A. The. The. Lazuli Ratatouille comparably aged 24 years Dir. Among the police investigation. Bueng Chonburi. Troublemaker by Mr.Somnuk the pretty 35-year-old merchant who was selling corn popcorn. Gas in the scene A power point range, and Mr. Chai Ratatouille comparably aged 35 year-old brother took real villains escape. And found evidence motorcycle helmets, shoes, clothing. The criminals were thrown into a pond, Gail. The abandoned house at No. 57 Moo 2 Tambon Ban Phai Bo Ya. Don Lemon after the cause is under investigation, officials now suspect. Reportedly proposed to the... อ่านต่อที่ : http://www.dailynews.co.th/crime/538731

This nonsense makes fantastic reading.

Hilarious.

Well done poster of this.

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

With such a low rank, the income from tea money just wasn't sufficient -so next best move is to expand your criminal activities. 

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. 

:sorry:

“A Thai policeman who had previously received an achievement award for his performance has been arrested for carrying out an armed robbery on an ATM as it was being filled up with cash.

It's so much quicker than manning a road check station and collecting 100 baht at a time. He should have received a "Time Management Award".

Edited by jaltsc

Yesterday, I was approached by a university student to take a survey about Thailand. A class project. One question was, "What don't you like about Thailand?" I'm sure she expected me to say something about spicy food, but I replied that the police were too corrupt and the same as a mafia.  The girl actually looked surprised at my answer. Real question--do Thais really not know this? Or was my answer embarrassing to her, because she knows all too well the character of Thai police?

56 minutes ago, sirmud63 said:

it beggars beliefe that 3 men would load cash into an atm on the foot path . thats just asking for it . why not in  the back of the van ,or have a ready loaded cartrage to just swap into the machine ? :post-4641-1156693976:

ATM's are placed for customer convenience.  A foot path is a good location for that.  The ATM must be filled where it is.  If you could move the ATM to a van it could be stolen.  It was the ready loaded box that was stolen. A large box is swapped out to refill the machine which presumably would make it slightly more difficult to steal. I've seen many of these refills and always figured them as soft targets. To answer another poster, yes, usually at least 1 if not 2 of the delivery crew are armed. Weapons are always concealed though.  Also they rarely have a lookout with gun at the ready. As someone who remembers the Brinks Armored Car Heist in New York well, I  know the value of keeping an eye out for would be attackers.  Good thing no one was hurt here. Seems the cop was ready to take it to the next level.

55 minutes ago, hdkane said:

Yesterday, I was approached by a university student to take a survey about Thailand. A class project. One question was, "What don't you like about Thailand?" I'm sure she expected me to say something about spicy food, but I replied that the police were too corrupt and the same as a mafia.  The girl actually looked surprised at my answer. Real question--do Thais really not know this? Or was my answer embarrassing to her, because she knows all too well the character of Thai police?

A question here can be very heavily loaded and a negative answer is usually not expected or wanted.

This is so strange. It was just last night that I was thinking what easy pickings these unarmed guys would be. I am surprised that the Philippine bank robbery gangs have not caught onto this here. There they brazenly shoot up many banks, armored trucks and ATM's even with heavy armed security present.