Can I travel on a 'lost' U.S. passport?

I lost a passport, got a new one, found the old one and the new one was stolen in an armed home invasion. So I have the 'lost' one, which has 8 years left on it. I don't plan to go back to the u.s., if so, I know I must get a new one. But, can I travel with the 'lost' one? Or is that passport already in a system that airlines and immigration check? 

Feels wasteful to buy a new one. Also, I reported 2 lost ones in 3 years and they will probably give me one of those 3 year passports or less  because of this. Also, I will have to update many legal things, including overseas bank accounts etc.

When you got your new U.S. passport the U.S. State Dept cancelled your old one.    With immigration/countries "interconnected" more and more/sharing databases you could very well attempt to exit or entry a country and your old  passport is flagged as cancelled/invalid...then you get led off to the little room for integration.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lamkyong said:

new one was stolen in an armed home invasion ????? and your police report stated this armed theft   that must have been an interesting time

Yes, although I told them it was lost as I imagine them requiring police reports etc. "Lost" is more simple. My roomate and I interrupted the invasion. We came home and went to put the key in the security gate and realized its cut. Two seconds later, a guy put a gun on us. He was waiting in the car while the other two were inside the apt complex robbing others. He directed us into the courtyard and put us face down with others. Some dude put a shotgun to my head. We thought we were dead. This was a friday 5pm. The building owner called police and a car came out for a few minutes after they left. That cop gave us a business card to call the Investigative unit. That unit told us to come in on Monday, they were busy!! After complaining, finally they sent a detective out at midnight and he dusted for prints for 10 mins and left.............

My lazy ass had just gone to an ATM and withdrew 600usd and left it on the kitchen table, planning to hide it when I got back from the gym.....DOH!! LOL.

This was in Costa Rica. That place is lame. I was only there as I was stuck there for a while with an investment.

Yes, although I told them it was lost as I imagine them requiring police reports etc. "Lost" is more simple. My roomate and I interrupted the invasion. We came home and went to put the key in the security gate and realized its cut. Two seconds later, a guy put a gun on us. He was waiting in the car while the other two were inside the apt complex robbing others. He directed us into the courtyard and put us face down with others. Some dude put a shotgun to my head. We thought we were dead. This was a friday 5pm. The building owner called police and a car came out for a few minutes after they left. That cop gave us a business card to call the Investigative unit. That unit told us to come in on Monday, they were busy!! After complaining, finally they sent a detective out at midnight and he dusted for prints for 10 mins and left.............

My lazy ass had just gone to an ATM and withdrew 600usd and left it on the kitchen table, planning to hide it when I got back from the gym.....DOH!! LOL.
This was in Costa Rica. That place is lame. I was only there as I was stuck there for a while with an investment.

So you traveled out of Costa Rica with the first lost passport and into another country already by your "was stuck there" comment.
So we're you able to travel on it?

Just now, KMartinHandyman said:

So you traveled out of Costa Rica with the first lost passport and into another country already by your "was stuck there" comment.
So we're you able to travel on it?

No. I traveled on the replacement passport, which I no longer have.

17 minutes ago, fekman said:

No. I traveled on the replacement passport, which I no longer have.

I thought the replacement one was the one that got stolen at gunpoint (and fraudulently reported as lost) in CR? So you already departed CR on the original passport (and legitimately reported as lost) that was found some time before the replacement one was stolen at gunpoint?

Never mind... the following admonishment still stands.

7 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

You seriously need to rethink your handling of passports.

• Like 1

If it's anything like travelling on a UK passport that's been reported lost, they take it off of you the first chance they get and no argument will convince them not to - been there, done that, lost the passport, got a new one, found the old one and used the old one by mistake upon arrival at HR, lost all my work related visa's in the process.

Some of the stories, problems, experiences, etc described, on TV, seem to either bring a tear, a chuckle, or are not very believable.  A few bring back memories of similar experiences, but this one seems to have missed on all counts.

Better you no longer travel. Would hate to hear of your experiences once you arrived in Thailand. The dodgy Thais would chew you up and spit you out before you even left the airport. The answer is no on your old passport. My question is : Why are you asking this on a Thai oriented website if your in South America? Your not related to the forty something guy in Issan Thailand who knocked up a twenty something Thai girl and plans to visit her parents are you ? For your own future safety stay home and lock the door. And most of all if you have a Lonely Planet guide book to anywhere destroy it as the misinformation is often so bad it will likely get you killed.

0014_insanity_einstein_quote_960.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mitkof Island said:

Better you no longer travel. Would hate to hear of your experiences once you arrived in Thailand. The dodgy Thais would chew you up and spit you out before you even left the airport. The answer is no on your old passport. My question is : Why are you asking this on a Thai oriented website if your in South America? Your not related to the forty something guy in Issan Thailand who knocked up a twenty something Thai girl and plans to visit her parents are you ? For your own future safety stay home and lock the door. And most of all if you have a Lonely Planet guide book to anywhere destroy it as the misinformation is often so bad it will likely get you killed.

0014_insanity_einstein_quote_960.jpg

And some consider that I may have lost the plot....