Man crushed under Phuket tour bus in heavy rain

webfact

Man crushed under Phuket tour bus in heavy rain

Eakkapop Thongtub

1480310540_1-org.jpg

Police are looking for the bus driver who fled the scene after local resident Sompod Butprom, 40, was crushed under the wheels of the bus in Pa Khlok on Saturday night (Nov 26). Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- Police are looking for a bus driver who fled the scene of a fatal accident in Pa Khlok on Saturday night (Nov 26), when a local man was crushed under the wheels of the bus.

The accident happened on Route 4027, the road heading east from Heroines Monument in central Phuket, at about 8:45pm, said Lt Col Sanit Nookong of the Thalang Police.

Route 4027 is the same road where 68-year-old Pa Khlok resident Soonthorn Chinphak was killed in a four-vehicle wipeout on Friday morning (Nov 25).

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/man-crushed-under-phuket-tour-bus-in-heavy-rain-60039.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-11-28

I had a week of Phuket, which was refreshing. 

After coming back here, I was feeling more relaxed. Then I took a ride with a scooter and after just few kilometres, on a previously quiet road, I encountered the crazy traffic.

Drivers who don't give a flick about others while speeding and overtaking others in dangerous places. 

My good mood was soon changed to: I hate this place and the selfish people on the roads. 

That's the accident I mentioned in the other thread. Not sure btw if it already rained when the accident happened as I drove past when the rescue workers were just starting and police on the way but the rain had just begun. Probably not key to the story though.

Position a traffic police officer on this stretch of road and you could fine hundreds of people for driving recklessly every single day. I know, I know...

Oilinki: I literally had the same experience when I went on a trip through Phang Nga last year. Even just after a single day riding through that province, you could immidiately notice the huge difference in terms of road traffic. As soon as you come to Thalang near that police station that was burned down by the mob, you encounter reckless drivers, stupidly loud scooters and traffic jams everywhere. Then during a few trips to BKK I noticed how the people are usually more civilized there. I'm not a fan of BKK as it's too busy and not enough green but it was still refreshing to escape Phuket's insanity. I've made a plan for next year to venture and explore some other parts of Thailand and think about moving even though I have my friends in Phuket. Chiang Mai is nice, especially for a motorbike enthusiast like me but I don't fancy the smoking season. Gonna check Hua Hin out next.

RIP.

Driver ran away because like most others he knew he did wrong. The bus company can give him up - if they do not want to or cannot do then let the bus company be held responsible for all monies to be paid to family of man killed.

In Phuket,  Ride the public bus system to get around. As noticed

a person on a motorcycle as no chance, even in a small car  it is not

that safe.  I ride  my motorbike in Hua Hin ,  but  that is an entire different place  and

I have been very lucky so far,  'Geezer

On 11/28/2016 at 1:29 PM, oilinki said:

I had a week of Phuket, which was refreshing. 

After coming back here, I was feeling more relaxed. Then I took a ride with a scooter and after just few kilometres, on a previously quiet road, I encountered the crazy traffic.

Drivers who don't give a flick about others while speeding and overtaking others in dangerous places. 

My good mood was soon changed to: I hate this place and the selfish people on the roads. 

I hear you Oilinki.  I went to Borneo a few weeks ago and what a nice refreshing change, polite people, much more behaved driving, and just an overall more relaxed pace of life and much better quality of residents. 

Edited by steelepulse

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 6:16 PM, nausea said:

So I guess "fled the scene" means the bus driver was either drunk or drugged.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 10:03 PM, lvr181 said:

RIP.

Driver ran away because like most others he knew he did wrong. The bus company can give him up - if they do not want to or cannot do then let the bus company be held responsible for all monies to be paid to family of man killed.

As it turned out he was hiding nearby in fear of his life from locals looking for a lynching.

It really is the wild north up there when locals get killed on the roads, usually because of their own stupidity. Mobs hunting for blood will turn out seeking revenge at a moment's notice.

Who can forget when hundreds besieged and burnt the police station after a couple of local druggies died while trying to escape from the police.

I would also decamp the scene if unfortunate enough to have a local impale himself on my bumper.

Old Croc is right. It wouldn't be the first lynch mob in this area. Lots of uncivilized folks around. Especially around the mosques it seems to be a lawless zone. Just check how many people drive in the wrong direction there. And if people complain about something, you'll face the wrath of the "community".