What has happened to the high season?

cyberfarang

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

C M nightlife :cheesy:.

It's dead by 10 pm and I gather they have to close at midnight.

I went to the small barbeer complex, but there are hardly any bargirls ( or even ladyboys ) in sight. Not surprising though, as hardly any customers.

Even less surprising given the prices they are asking. One would have to be seriously desperate to pay that much.

The nightlife in Chiang Mai isn't what it used to be, but there are still some places worth going to.

The bar girl situation in Chiang Mai is a joke.  If you want that kind of nightlife you need to look elsewhere.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, FredNL said:

It is possible to have it registered on an offshore investment company for 100% and then lease it for 99 years to your local company. 

Not all companies need 51 - 49% shares dividing !!! 

So you would have to trust the laws and legal system in Cambodia.  That seems even more reckless than do so in Thailand.

6 hours ago, cmsally said:

I would agree that numbers are down but then just about everybody seems to be opening a hotel. Can't quite get my head around it! The numbers needed for investment and the returns don't really add up.

Numbers of western tourists are well down but the Chinese are plugging the gaps. However you won't see too many of the Chinese hanging out in bars late at night. They are mostly on package tours or travelling in small groups. They are probably spending more money than the backpackers were too...

42 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

'never to return'... how can you be so sure. Come on!!

I first came here in 1991, lived here full time since 2005, and had a bar for nearly 10 years.

Most people who have been coming here for that length of time, or even longer, I imagine would agree with me.

By the way, I don't think it is just Thailand.  

Mikes Pizza was a reasonable place for a feed, frequented by Families and backpackers , they then expanded and got the premises next door and knocked it into one and had a bar one  one side and Pizzas on the other , a group of bar girls also sat at the bar, working .

Not a good combination, who wants to take their family for a pizza with bargirls plying their trade?

It closed down soon after .

chiang-mai-mike-pizza-14006.jpg

19 minutes ago, heybruce said:

So you would have to trust the laws and legal system in Cambodia.  That seems even more reckless than do so in Thailand.

Do you really think that international companies in Cambodia are owned for 51% by Cambodians ???
Le Méridien Angkor is Cambodia's largest hotel and owned by the Sheraton Group. There is not 1 Cambodian shareholder !!!

I'm in international business for over 30 years, also having (offshore) investment companies. Having 3 companies in Thailand. In 2014, I have moved one mayor company from Bangkok to Cambodia. Just because of some ridiculous law implemented by the current government. I must say it was the best move in  years. Reducing costs and having a giant upgrade on quality. (most of the labourers already were Cambodian nationals, Thais couldn't be trusted. Cambodians need calculators to add 1 plus 1.)

Edited by FredNL

17 minutes ago, FredNL said:

Do you really think that international companies in Cambodia are owned for 51% by Cambodians ???
Le Méridien Angkor is Cambodia's largest hotel and owned by the Sheraton Group. There is not 1 Cambodian shareholder !!!

I'm in international business for over 30 years, also having (offshore) investment companies. Having 3 companies in Thailand. In 2014, I have moved one mayor company from Bangkok to Cambodia. Just because of some ridiculous law implemented by the current government. I must say it was the best move in  years. Reducing costs and having a giant upgrade on quality. (most of the labourers already were Cambodian nationals, Thais couldn't be trusted. Cambodians need calculators to add 1 plus 1.)

"Do you really think that international companies in Cambodia are owned for 51% by Cambodians ???"

No.  So long as the big companies have suitable influence at the top levels of government, they can operate profitably.  That is why big hotels in Cambodia and auto manufacturers in Thailand can safely invest.

However small business in both countries are subject to the whims and greed of countless officials and cronies at all levels.  Some make their businesses work in spite of this, but there remains the risk of losing everything.

14 minutes ago, claffey said:

Numbers of western tourists are well down but the Chinese are plugging the gaps. However you won't see too many of the Chinese hanging out in bars late at night. They are mostly on package tours or travelling in small groups. They are probably spending more money than the backpackers were too...

We don't go in to the old city at night but at midday today many sois had 100's of foreigners ,mostly Europeans, going about their business.

Didn't see as many Chinese but the city was busy, restaurants and coffee shops most at least 2/3rds full.

I dont think tourists give a damn about whose running the country apart from bars closing early its business as usual

Thailand is still a very cheap option for those from countries whose currencies are faltering and our first time Australian vistors are simply amazed at the low cost of eating out compared with Oz,Singapore,KL, Hong Kong etc

4 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

We don't go in to the old city at night but at midday today many sois had 100's of foreigners ,mostly Europeans, going about their business.

Didn't see as many Chinese but the city was busy, restaurants and coffee shops most at least 2/3rds full.

I dont think tourists give a damn about whose running the country apart from bars closing early its business as usual

Thailand is still a very cheap option for those from countries whose currencies are faltering and our first time Australian vistors are simply amazed at the low cost of eating out compared with Oz,Singapore,KL, Hong Kong etc

Good point.  I had dinner with a friend last night at a nice place not a dive, filled the table with many dishes of excellent Thai food, and drank many large Leos.  The total bill was less than 1000 baht.  How many of those reading this can do that in their home countries?

Main reason for die hards mongers to abandon Pattaya /Bkk.., is the Thai economic thinking : today quite ....ok tomorrow double the  prices and must give lower service as not feeling happy with tourist , this same for bars , girls gogos etc.  including  the farang controlled ones .....

they thought the Sky was the limit .... was predicted by many , now it is here .......and yes some places are crowded as all hook together where some good atmosphere is inside ....but out of those look around ....dead ,low season is history & wishfully expectation .....but don't cry ....around Christmas and the New year ,high season shall be there ....for 3 weeks ....ready to kill that too business men ..?

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Many trinket sellers in Anusarn Market appeared to have not even bothered coming in. Half of them were all bundled up, covered with tarps.

If that was the weekend, they go to the different places. I was fooled by that too. During the week they are all there and plenty of customers. I went to Thapae Gate on Sunday, and there were too many people there for my liking.

It was on a Monday.

24 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Yes, lots of tourists in daytime, but the city has nothing for anyone that isn't interested in girly bars. having to pay rip off taxi fees to get around after dark is a big disincentive to going out as well. In Pattaya the share baht buses run till well after midnight on the standard routes.

Imagine London if they said "6pm" only taxis from now on"!

If C M wants to be a tourist hub they should get real and give tourists an incentive to visit. At the moment I think people come because of the reputation that was built in the old days of backpackers. Once the rep is gone, so will western tourists that don't want to risk their life in the atrocious traffic or have to pay rip off taxi prices. In Bkk I can take a taxi for 35 baht or something like that, but in C M for the same distance they want 80 or 100.

2 hours ago, cmsally said:

From what I can decipher, I see 2 types of investors in the city. One has way too much money and decides to pay premium prices for land and then build the obligatory hotel.

The other gets excited at watching everyone else and thinks its a good idea to take out a big loan and then ....... build the obligatory hotel.

However you look at it , this doesn't bode well for the future. Minimal wages and competition for jobs, its looking pretty tough. The honey pot is becoming smaller and the bees more prolific.

As I see it, everyone is going upmarket with the hotels and forgetting that one of the largest tourist demographics in C M is backpackers. If less cheap places are available, less backpackers will come.

Even Loi Kroh has upmarket places trying to attract the backpackers with dorm prices higher than a room in guest houses away from the most popular areas.

Loi Kroh represents everything that is wrong with C M tourism. If ever a street was prime for becoming a Walking Street, closed to traffic every night from 6 pm, it is that street. The potential for a real tourist destination with tables in the street etc is immense. Unfortunately, the only night place at present is the crappy night market that is badly laid out and really only to buy tourist junk or eat at the restaurants. They need a street to relax and have a beer or whatever, without getting exhaust fumes to breath.

NB, I'm not saying it should be lined with girly bars or gogos. Could be for everyone.

As I see it, no one in authority has a clue about tourism. That is being seen in the empty places every night, and the bored service people.

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

having to pay rip off taxi fees to get around after dark is a big disincentive to going out as well. In Pattaya the share baht buses run till well after midnight on the standard routes.

Imagine London if they said "6pm" only taxis from now on"!

Probably a good time to mention Uber and Grab both started in CM a month ago!

Support them! 

Screw those taxi and tuk tuk mafia jerks once and for all.

This topic feels like an alternate world.. I saw the headline and thought it would be about the large numbers of people around town.    It's a GREAT high season, in face I didn't even notice much of a low season, at all.

A smattering of gems:

Don’t believe the Chiang Mai tourist figures put out by TaT.

Do you believe Flightradar24.com? 

Right?  Right.

There's bugger all to do in the late hours because the nightlife has to close early.

Just in the tourist area there are 4-5 places that open very very late (early).  It's well and truly light when I still see some people stumble out of there.  Spotlight is now closing at 4am.  There's a new dance club (renovated Lucky Bar/Club) that stays open super late and is right on the moat.  And many many more.

Chiang Mai never sleeps!

I would agree that numbers are down but then just about everybody seems to be opening a hotel. Can't quite get my head around it! The numbers needed for investment and the returns don't really add up.

So logically, either all of those people building hotels are stupid, or you missed something.  (And I know which one it is.)

I'm scrambling myself to grab more property;  in a couple years I will be saying here on this forum how low prices used to be in 2016 (relatively speaking) and nobody will believe me.    It's like free money flying in at CNX every 2-3 minutes and it needs grabbing!

(Even more so as it appears that civil war isn't going to break out.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

1 minute ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Just in the tourist area there are 4-5 places that open very very late (early).  It's well and truly light when I still see some people stumble out of there.  Spotlight is now closing at 4am.  There's a new dance club (renovated Lucky Bar/Club) that stays open super late and is right on the moat.  

For a few nights Lucky bar stayed open late , I had high hopes for it .

Two nights ago it got "raided" by the RTP at 1.30 AM and everyone got turfed out

9 minutes ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

This topic feels like an alternate world.. I saw the headline and thought it would be about the large numbers of people around town.    It's a GREAT high season, in face I didn't even notice much of a low season, at all.

A smattering of gems:

Do you believe Flightradar24.com? 

Right?  Right.

Just in the tourist area there are 4-5 places that open very very late (early).  It's well and truly light when I still see some people stumble out of there.  Spotlight is now closing at 4am.  There's a new dance club (renovated Lucky Bar/Club) that stays open super late and is right on the moat.  And many many more.

So logically, either all of those people building hotels are stupid, or you missed something.  (And I know which one it is.)

I'm scrambling myself to grab more property;  in a couple years I will be saying here on this forum how low prices used to be in 2016 (relatively speaking) and nobody will believe me.    It's like free money flying in at CNX every 2-3 minutes and it needs grabbing!

Because property *never* goes down, the banks are too big to fail (only this time we have no money left to bail them in except the population's savings, just like Cyprus) Oh and a million other things stretched to the absolute limit, apart from investing here right now being somewhat optimistic to say the least. Now if you were looking at investments like, medicinal weed, pure water, alternative energy and traffic technology, I might put more faith in your optimism.

It takes an airline about an hour or two to change a route, just saying.

Edited by dhream

5 minutes ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

.  Spotlight is now closing at 4am.    And many many more.

Spotlight closes about 1 AM  and thats a Go-go bar , not for most people to enjoy a drink .

Which other bars stay open in CM legally until 4 AM ? Let alone 4 AM , which bars stay open legally after 2 AM ?

They wouldn't be waiving all tourist Visa fees (they have just announced they have extended this to ordinary tourist visas as well as visas on arrival for 19 countries) if things were that good. this sounds like  an act of desperation.

If I remember correctly the last time they waived tourist Visa fees was in 2012 after the floods in Bangkok but to do it in the middle of the high season speaks volumes in my opinion

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

For a few nights Lucky bar stayed open late , I had high hopes for it .

Two nights ago it got "raided" by the RTP at 1.30 AM and everyone got turfed out

The 'mega club' called Mandalay was pumping until dawn back in April, havn't been since as I was drinking with a younger crowd, and the entire security are off duty BiB, so it was the place to be back then, is it still a thing?

Is Thailand experiencing a general tourist slump ?

We have had threads about Pukett , Udon Thanni , Pattaya , CM and Ko Samet all being very quiet and I ve had numerous posts on FB groups staying in various places stating that their hostel is empty and where is everyone

Edited by sanemax

4 minutes ago, dhream said:

The 'mega club' called Mandalay was pumping until dawn back in April, havn't been since as I was drinking with a younger crowd, and the entire security are off duty BiB, so it was the place to be back then, is it still a thing?

It closed down for a while and then re-opened recently .

The thumping music has stopped and it closes about 1 AM .

It seems like a place for younger dressed up Thais , rather than for casual older felangs

There was a very popular film in China a few years back which was set in CM , called "Lost in Thailand" and many Chinese came to Thailand because of the film . Now that that film has passed, maybe Chinese people have lost their incentive to come here .

4 hours ago, DSJPC said:

it is no wonder tourism has dropped off!...the current Thai regime keeps making it more difficult for tourists, with more stringent visa regulations, invasion of tourists' privacy with police/immigration checks, etc...no wonder they go elsewhere...duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

but the Tourism Minister has the right idea!...Pokemon Go will bring lotsa tourists here now!...where do they find these idiots???

You mean they do not just save their wrath for us. Golly gee.