Does Thailand have such a thing as public library?

theguyfromanotherforum

So, I am staying in a city that is the armpit of Canada. One of the poor cities for sure. Out of boredom I step into the public library where you can rent more movies than Blockbuster (RIP) including latest blu ray and music titles for free. Endless amount of books, of course, all neatly catalogued. Library is super clean and employs people of all races.

So, does Thailand at least have a public library where people can loan out books? You know.... it's something that wouldn't cost government a lot like free healthcare, safe public transport, first world infrastructure, etc, etc.....

Yes, it's one of those why the hell I'm living in a third world country posts.

There are plenty of public libraries in Bangkok. Try using Google before ranting on TVF. As for the provinces, I don't know if a library would be funded on a provincial or municipal level, but my gf is from a village in the South and they had a public library there, and a larger one in the provincial capital. 

So as a "3rd world country", Thailand is not so bad, with libraries, decent infrastructure in large parts of the country and free healthcare and education.  Public transport needs improvement for sure!

There are many public libraries around Bangkok and Thailand. If you've ever been to Lumpini Park you've probably walked passed the one near the centre of the park. Thai bashing for the sake of it! Get your facts straight before posting... By the way Thailand is not ' a third world country'. It's a 'developing' country. If you lack so much respect for the country that you have chosen to live in maybe it's time to move on??? Thailand doesn't need negative, arrogant people that always assume their own country's superiority...

In the UK there are many 'free public' libraries with great facilities. What many people don't realise is that their exorbitant monthly council taxes pay for them. So they are not really free! In Thailand there are no council taxes as such. There are many free public services. Free buses, trains etc... The Children's Discovery museum near Jatujak is free and brilliant for a day out. Let's make a list of free public services to prove this Thai basher wrong...

There are many public libraries around Bangkok and Thailand. If you've ever been to Lumpini Park you've probably walked passed the one near the centre of the park. Thai bashing for the sake of it! Get your facts straight before posting... By the way Thailand is not ' a third world country'. It's a 'developing' country. If you lack so much respect for the country that you have chosen to live in maybe it's time to move on??? Thailand doesn't need negative, arrogant people that always assume their own country's superiority...

Thailand is third world.

That being said, I can go to one of those "libraries" and borrow a book. Right?

The term 'Third world' is outdated and a relic of the Cold War era. Countries without enough food or basic utilities, I suppose, could be considered 'third world' if you would like to use those terms. Last time I looked around me in Thailand there's no lack of food or shelter. Everyone has the latest phone and there are millions of cars in the country too. All bought on credit of course but that's another issue.Which paradise do you hail from? 

I believe that yes you could borrow a book in those libraries with the correct identification. 

23 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Funny. So, I did some googling (which admittedly I should have done before posting this) and found out that the libraries you speak of are private libraries which require some paid membership to loan out books.

So, my question still stands.

A (small) membership fee does not make it a private library. Similar to public transport, public healthcare, public education, public parks, etc. 

regardless, one of the first Google results links to a 10yr old archived TV thread. There it shows this list for Bangkok;

National Library

Samsen Road,

Tel : 281-5212281-5313281-7746

Open : 9:30 a.m. - 7.30 p.m.

Closed on Public holidays

Membership is free

Neilson Hays Library

Surawong Road

Tel : 233-1731

Open : 9:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday to Saturday

Open : 9.30 a.m. - 12.30 p.m. Sundays

Yearly membership for children : 800 baht

Yearly membership for adults : 1,700 baht

Yearly membership for senior citizens : 1,300

British Council Library

Siam Square

Tel : 661-6830

Open 10 a.m - 7.30 p.m. Monday to Friday

Open 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. Sat

Central library Chulalongkorn University

Phya Thai Road

Tel : 215-0871-3

Open 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. Monday to Friday

Non-student reader is charged 20 baht

Academic Library

Dinsor Road

Tel : 221-2141-61 ext 4446

Open : 8:30 a.m. - 4.30 p.m. Monday to Friday

Lumpini Public Library

Lumpini Park

Tel : 252-8030

Open : 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Closed on public holidays

Soi Pranang Public Library

Soi Pranang, Rajvithi Road

Tel : 246-3517

Open 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. 

Closed on public holidays

Anongkharam Public Library

Wat Anongkharam, Klong San

Tel 437-1381

Open 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Closed on Sundays, Monday and public holidays

Wat Sangkachai Public Library

Wat Sangkachai, Issraphap Road

Tel : 465-1659

Closed on Sundays, Mondays and Public holidays

Bang Khen Public Libray

Inside Bang Khen District Office

Tel : 251-3375

Closed on Sunday, Monday and public holidays

Wat Ratchadathithan Public Library

Inside Wat Ratchadathitan

Soi Charansanitwongse 35

Tel : 412-0702

Open 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Closed on Sundays, Mondays and Public Holidays

Wat Ratchaorotsaram Public Library

Soi Amphoe Kao, Chom Thong Road

Tel : 416-0816

Wat Lad Pla-Khao Public Libray

Inside Wat Lad Pla-Khao, Soi Chokchai 4, Lad Prao

Tel : 570-5792

Open 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Closed on Sunday, Monday and Public holidays

Phasi Charoen Public Library

Soi Petchakasem 50/3

Petchakasem Road

Tel : 458-1281

Open 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. 

Closed on Sunday, Monday and Public Holidays

Nong Chok Public Libray

Inside Phakdinoraset School

Behind Nong Chok District Office

Tel : 988-4480

Open 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Chatuchak Public Library

Chatuchak District Office, 7th Floor

Tel : 513-3444

Open : 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday to Friday

At all public libraries, the annual membership fee is five baht. There is a 20 baht deposit for children below 15, and 10 baht plus 40 baht for those above 15 years. 

6 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

There are plenty of public libraries in Bangkok. Try using Google before ranting on TVF. As for the provinces, I don't know if a library would be funded on a provincial or municipal level, but my gf is from a village in the South and they had a public library there, and a larger one in the provincial capital. 

So as a "3rd world country", Thailand is not so bad, with libraries, decent infrastructure in large parts of the country and free healthcare and education.  Public transport needs improvement for sure!

"Try using Google before ranting on TVF".  Thaivisa is much better than Google for getting peoples own experiences on things I usually come here before I start googling.

3 hours ago, evadgib said:

Kindles or Kindle apps work perfectly well in Thailand; rendering libraries largely redundant re accessing books.

HTH

I have a kindle and just download books and movies online from my local public library in USA.  Picked up a library card on my last visit to US and it's been great.

6 hours ago, claffey said:

In the UK there are many 'free public' libraries with great facilities. What many people don't realise is that their exorbitant monthly council taxes pay for them. So they are not really free! In Thailand there are no council taxes as such. There are many free public services. Free buses, trains etc... The Children's Discovery museum near Jatujak is free and brilliant for a day out. Let's make a list of free public services to prove this Thai basher wrong...

I don't think the OP has actually set out to be a Thai basher, just because of a little negativity, I would think a Thai basher is someone who always moans about Thailand without mentioning the many positive things about it, I know there have been Thai bashers posting occasionally, but I cannot off my head, think of any poster who only bashes Thailand.

In a forum with as many members as TV, I like to read all opinions of Thailand, both negative and positive, and every country has them.

45 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"Try using Google before ranting on TVF".  Thaivisa is much better than Google for getting peoples own experiences on things I usually come here before I start googling.

Completely agree on this. TV itself also hopes people continue to come here first as it is good for the website. This after all is an online forum....

Half the time using google specifically for locations in Thailand leads to posts from TV anyway.

Edited by anotheruser

8 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Please school me and provide a name of one public library in Thailand where people can borrow books. Previous poster mentioned universities, but these are not public libraries.

There is one in Lumpini Park in Bkk, with a fair selection of English titles.

I did not check if they have a card system for loaning out... just spent a lovely cool hour one day reading there.

I know there's a public library in Lumpini Park, but I haven't been inside it. The sign on it is in Thai, so I presume most of the books are in Thai, too. There's a private lending library, the Nelson Hayes Library on Surawong Road. Don't know if it's still there, but many years ago there was an organization called AUA, American University Alumni, which had a great English language library. Unfortunately their funding came from the American Information Agency and was cut off under Clinton. They continued as a privately owned language school, but I don't know if they still lend their books out to non-students. Can't remember the name of the street, but it's the street that runs along the other side of Lumphini Park from Witthayu Road and a comfortable walk, maybe a block or two, going in the direction away from Rama IV Road.

10 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Please school me and provide a name of one public library in Thailand where people can borrow books. Previous poster mentioned universities, but these are not public libraries.

TK Park at the 8th floor Central World have all the books you want. Millions of books.

10 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Academic libraries

Public and autonomous university libraries

• Burapha University Library
  • Chiang Mai University Library[1]
  • Chulalongkorn University Library[2]
  • Kasetsart University Library
  • Khon Kaen University Library
  • King Mongkut's Institute of Technology Ladkrabang Library
  • King Mongkut's Institute of Technology North Bangkok Library
  • King Mongkut's University of Technology Library
  • Mae Fah Luang University Library
  • Maejo University Library[3]