Quiet bar with local expats in Bangkok

KDee

I'm looking for a specific bar, or an area or soi where I might find older farangs, who live in Thailand. Just an ordinary bar, where I could go in the afternoon, or even the morning to connect with some of the regulars. Don't want an evening scene, girls, tourists, etc. Not hi-so, roof top and all of that. Very basic stool & beer sort of place. Quiet with local expat guys who are at their regular watering hole morning to evening.  

Any recommendations? Anywhere in greater Bangkok is fine. However, might trek down to Pattaya if there are recommendations there. 

Thanks for any help.

kd

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, KDee said:

... However, might trek down to Pattaya if there are recommendations there. ...

Wild Chicken on Soi 13/2 (Soi Post Office or Soi Paisanee) between Beach Road and Second Road at Pizza Hut/McDonalds (Second Road end).

They even have a defibrillator somewhere but they may need to find it and check the batteries first. Better to BYO.

mild chicken.jpg

Try Chequers in Soi 4, the Royal Oak  soi 33 (or 33/1) or avoid the boys and girls and try the British pub at the far end of Soi 7/1. Forget the name. Naturally Sois referred to are off Sukhumvit.

Smokie will likely be along later with some useful hints.

In Pattaya try the Nervous Wreck in Soi Yamato (13/1) next to Soi Post. Get your drinking head on though.

Edited by rott

36 minutes ago, rott said:

Try Chequers in Soi 4, the Royal Oak  soi 33 (or 33/1) or avoid the boys and girls and try the British pub at the far end of Soi 7/1. Forget the name. Naturally Sois referred to are off Sukhumvit.

That would be the Pickled Liver, sufficiently secondary location that only "them 'as knows" find it, non-locals are sucked in by the lady (and ladyboy) bars you have to pass to get to it :)

None of the Bangkok bars are like that really.....people sitting drinking all day long at the bar.

You will find it easily in any major beach resort though.

If you want to meet expats in Bangkok try from 4-7 pm at any of the British style pubs as that is usually Happy Hour price time.

11 minutes ago, Crossy said:

That would be the Pickled Liver, sufficiently secondary location that only "them 'as knows" find it, non-locals are sucked in by the lady (and ladyboy) bars you have to pass to get to it :)

I've yet to pop in the new place and find any atmosphere....somewhat like the Black Swan the move has not been altogether great....as yet anyway.

Just now, smokie36 said:

I've yet to pop in the new place and find any atmosphere....somewhat like the Black Swan the move has not been altogether great....as yet anyway.

It's about 4 years on since they moved, quiet yes, atmosphere you may be right. Beer is fine, food more than adequate and you can hold a conversation.

Smokie you are sadly correct about the Black Swan, don't know what went so wrong there. Bit overpriced but so was the old place, seemed to be regular customers there I wonder where they all drifted off to.

The Pickled Liver I am only going off what other people tell me, but you do have a point that the all day drinking in BKK is largely a thing of the past and late afternoon is the time to start. I have only once (and then under protest) been to any of the open air places at the top of Soi 4 but you never know the OP might feel different, they do get busy. To me they were like Sois 6, 7, 8 and Walking St  Pattaya, just places for people who don't know anything.

9 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

BIG DOGS is a bar girl bar, and it is at the entrance to NANA PLAZA, nowhere near the end of soi 4,

But Soi 4 has two ends and Big Dogs has female wait staff and is near the Sukhumvit end of Soi 4

50 minutes ago, Thainess said:

... Popular with the pot-bellied over 50s crowd.

And this is true also.

21 minutes ago, rott said:

Smokie you are sadly correct about the Black Swan, don't know what went so wrong there. Bit overpriced but so was the old place, seemed to be regular customers there I wonder where they all drifted off to.

The Pickled Liver I am only going off what other people tell me, but you do have a point that the all day drinking in BKK is largely a thing of the past and late afternoon is the time to start. I have only once (and then under protest) been to any of the open air places at the top of Soi 4 but you never know the OP might feel different, they do get busy. To me they were like Sois 6, 7, 8 and Walking St  Pattaya, just places for people who don't know anything.

I wouldn't call the Black Swan expensive with beers around the 120 mark a pint....or less its been a few months since I was in.

It just lacks the same atmosphere the old place had. Perhaps things will improve....who knows?

The 120 baht a pint refers only to certain local draughts I think. And then only in happy hour.

A local bottle will cost pretty much the same. And the imported gear.? And the food.?

You disappoint me Smokie. Am I the only one on here who compares like with like, and doesn't quote the extreme? Sighs heavily.............................:smile:

yes it is in soi 4 which is off sukhumvit road., but as i said it is a girl bar the op was not asking for a girlie bar, not seen many "locals" in there, all tourists. sorry we call that the entrance to soi 4 not the end.

Edited by mercman24

9 minutes ago, rott said:

The 120 baht a pint refers only to certain local draughts I think. And then only in happy hour.

A local bottle will cost pretty much the same. And the imported gear.? And the food.?

You disappoint me Smokie. Am I the only one on here who compares like with like, and doesn't quote the extreme? Sighs heavily.............................:smile:

Their happy hour is all day is it not?

That compares favourably with some other places....imported beer is something I rarely drink....330++ a bottle of imported American piss is not for me.

Oh their food....:shock1:

I have looked at their menu many times in the old place and new....yes it is very expensive but I have never had a proper meal there so can't tell you if its worth it or not.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

It's about 4 years on since they moved, quiet yes, atmosphere you may be right. Beer is fine, food more than adequate and you can hold a conversation.

Dave closed door less than 2 years ago and is on soi 19 now.

HooHaa Crossy was talking about the Pickled Liver. Are we talking about pubs here or have we been in one for the past few hours??:smile:

Smokie I don't do imported ale as a rule but i went there for a few pints of IPA, "only" 200 something in happy hour (3 till 9 from memory) then they changed it to Brewdog, not to my taste. But I think in future in BKK it will have to be the local draught rather than the bottles. Getting spoiled oop North with 70 baht for 630 or 620 ml.

Edited by rott

The crowd at The Tavern, A Small Slice of America, Soi 4, probably meets this spec. Friendly locals, great staff and all are welcomed. Also The Hangout Pub on Soi 6 is Kiwi owned and mostly local regulars of the British Empire. But they are nice to me too.

just so you know my agenda... I'm looking for interesting subjects for portrait photography. Specifically old farangs living in Thailand to which I have a passing resemblance, other than the fact that I am really quite handsome, or so I've been told :-)

I don't charge anything, I'm not looking for work or money, just my hobby, just for fun. So I figure it's best to go in during a quiet time of day, not too noisy or crowded and meet some of the regulars and see if anyone is game. 

1 minute ago, smokie36 said:

Can't see too many bar owners liking you harrassing their customers and taking pics of them enjoying a pint...and that's before you start asking the regulars.

I'd certainly be saying no to your "hobby".

I only shoot in my studio. Never work outside, so I won't even have a camera with me. Some people are game, most aren't. Maybe none will. It won't hurt my feelings.  

Being an old fart, I recognize my kind. Look for the guys supporting the rail seats in so many places in Pattaya. Old Nikom Court at Soi Diana is a biggie, then south along Buakhao anywhere. And north along Buakhao. These scenes are everywhere. I'm thinking mornings and afternoons. Yes, there are girls but it looks like they keep to themselves unless asked. Pattaya Klang beachward from 2nd Road. There are some of these in the small sois between 3rd Rd and Buakhao, from Klang south to well, South Rd. Plus New Plaza is open in the afternoon, too. The middle bars are busy, Ma Mak and Micky's. I really don't think the OP will lack for company, well, not in the "high season" anyway. 

As for Bangkok . . . it's going, going, gone in a different direction. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

1 hour ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Being an old fart, I recognize my kind. Look for the guys supporting the rail seats in so many places in Pattaya. Old Nikom Court at Soi Diana is a biggie, then south along Buakhao anywhere. And north along Buakhao. These scenes are everywhere. I'm thinking mornings and afternoons. Yes, there are girls but it looks like they keep to themselves unless asked. Pattaya Klang beachward from 2nd Road. There are some of these in the small sois between 3rd Rd and Buakhao, from Klang south to well, South Rd. Plus New Plaza is open in the afternoon, too. The middle bars are busy, Ma Mak and Micky's. I really don't think the OP will lack for company, well, not in the "high season" anyway. 

As for Bangkok . . . it's going, going, gone in a different direction. 

Thanks I really appreciate the great advice. Sounds like Pattaya is where I need to go. I'll head down in the next week or so and hang out for a day and check it out.  And look around for a short term space I could use as a studio. Meaning weeks, not hours...

Thanks everyone for the advice and ideas. I really want a fresh challenge, and being a bit of an old fart myself this has my interest. 

Thanks again, very much appreciated.