Yamaha Aerox 155cc Launch

freedomnow

41 minutes ago, just bob said:

PS...

Yes, it is sportier and a firmer ride.  You pay on the flats and collect in the curves.  Its not a comfort cruiser.  Its a fun bike.  Come on you guys...  You're not that old yet.

What exactly is the issue with the stock  suspension? 

Is it inadequate for a farang or 2 persons combined weight or  just too hard/soft?

Also, was there much difference between  the R version and the standard version ? 

I haven't heard from anyone yet who has tried them Both.... Hopefully they will sell it in more countries so we get info we can understand.... 

Edited by speedtripler

God I wish I'll be able to rent it in Hanoi Bangkok or Pattaya! But so far, no luck. If anyone knows of a place that rents it in one of those 3 cities for late September, let me know!!

I'll gladely pay premium price per day ;p

1 hour ago, just bob said:

I rented an R version Aerox for three days and gave it a proper Doi Suthep test.  Wow!  Big Fun!  After nine months on the Honda Click shopping trolly it was like getting back on a real motorcycle.  I can't stress enough how much stability and grip you get from the 14 inch wheels and wider tires.  Its a proper contact patch.

I was really concerned about filtering to the front of the queue for the green light grand prix but its no problem at all and every bit as maneuverable as the small scoots.

I did some shopping around and bought the standard model in white at the big dealer in the old city, Chiang Mai for 62,000.  They were having a 2000 baht off promotion.  They threw in a very nice Yamaha branded helmet.  I took the savings from the R model and put on the RCB shock in their accessories brochure and ordered a YSS fork kit.  Put the shocks on this morning and, maybe they will break in, but I'm not impressed.  I'd recommend bite the bullet and buy the Ohlins.  Or just stay stock.  They're really not too bad.

IMG_20170714_103419038_HDRzz.jpg

IMG_20170720_150600338_HDRzz.jpg

Did you change to the front petal disc also? As I thought that only came with the R version as in the pic of the first white one.

3 hours ago, macknife said:

Did you change to the front petal disc also? As I thought that only came with the R version as in the pic of the first white one.

I have read those flower petal brake disc's are a waste of time, offer no better performance and eat brake pads faster etc 

Even the abs version doesn't have them

14 minutes ago, speedtripler said:

I have read those flower petal brake disc's are a waste of time, offer no better performance and eat brake pads faster etc 

I presumed that was your bike in the picture you posted.

23 hours ago, speedtripler said:

What exactly is the issue with the stock  suspension? 

Is it inadequate for a farang or 2 persons combined weight or  just too hard/soft?

Also, was there much difference between  the R version and the standard version ? 

I haven't heard from anyone yet who has tried them Both.... Hopefully they will sell it in more countries so we get info we can understand.... 

Stock suspension is really very good , though on the sporty firm side.  Not like the PCX flying couch.

R Version has wave discs, remote nitrogen shock and boy racer painted wheels.

R vs Std Versions...  I actually think the suspension on the standard is firmer than the R, but that could be because my R demo had 5000k on the clock and my standard is new.  Not sure.  Otherwise their equal.

Both versions are very well balanced in the turns.  Surprisingly so for a scooter.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Are you thinking of getting an after market pipe?

And getting rid of the center stand?

Would probably save almost 10kg by removing them. :D

No pipe.  I like the center stand.  Its fast enough and light enough for what it is.  I'm more concerned with ride and cornering abilities and keeping the utility.  My profile pic was ten years ago.  I'm too old to go that fast anymore.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, speedtripler said:

They're lighter but more importantly they cool faster which makes a big difference if you use them hard (which I tend to do on our marvelous Thai roller coaster roads).  Less fade when hot.  They don't eat pads faster and pads are cheap.  They are a waste of time if you ride sensibly like most people do.  Unfortunately,  I'm a loon in the turns.

23 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Are you thinking of getting an after market pipe?

And getting rid of the center stand?

Would probably save almost 10kg by removing them. :D

Why on earth would you remove the centre stand, far too useful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, just bob said:

They're lighter but more importantly they cool faster which makes a big difference if you use them hard (which I tend to do on our marvelous Thai roller coaster roads).  Less fade when hot.  They don't eat pads faster and pads are cheap.  They are a waste of time if you ride sensibly like most people do.  Unfortunately,  I'm a loon in the turns.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/33-general-bike-talk/230241-wavy-rotors-vs-normal-rotor.html#/topics/230241

Here is a lengthy discussion about the pros and cons.... 

I've got a gsx 1250 abs and it doesn't have them but a kawasaki 650 that does...

Not sure why they wouldn't put them on top end bikes if they were a performance  improvement 

They're not even on the kawasaki h2  or other Supersports that need maximum braking

How is the suspension on the R version? 

Edited by speedtripler

1 hour ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Just look at the thing! It's bigger than the actual bike, comes from a Soviet era mining truck, and must weigh 190 kilograms! 

who cares too useful to remove??? checking oil levels etc etc. looks the same as the one on my old PCX, would never remove.

1 hour ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

who cares too useful to remove??? checking oil levels etc etc. looks the same as the one on my old PCX, would never remove.

Yes it is very handy, in fact if the same as the N-max you need the side stand up for the engine to keep running, so by putting your bike on the center stand you can leave your bike running.

On 22/07/2017 at 3:08 PM, Happy Grumpy said:

Just look at the thing! It's bigger than the actual bike, comes from a Soviet era mining truck, and must weigh 190 kilograms! 

I like to inspect my tires sometimes or keep the bike running on the stand to check /change the oil 

Centre stand weighs probably ~4kg 

A racing Exhaust will get you pulled over now more than it used to do... 

Whether thats worth it or not is debatable... 

I would rather not pay  fine every time the bib are out collecting 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Grumpy said:

TIS Stamped pipes are fully road legal in Thailand.

I used to have one on my er6n (made by tsugiki) 

They will try and fine you anyway as they don't care about the law, the care about collecting revenue 

Best not to stop if you can zoom by safely 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

Why don't you buy one and take the centre stand off ?

No thanks. I want to buy one with it already removed, and expect a 10,000thb discount for buying one without it. So far, no dice. 

• Like 2

On 7/22/2017 at 8:46 PM, SooKee said:

Not sure if it's anything like the Click or even if it has a kick start. But with the Click you can't use the kick start unless it's on the centre stand.

Posted using Tapatalk

Take a look around when you're next in a motorcycle park. You'll soon notice that most, probably all scooters have this interlock between kick start and centre stand. It's actually an important safety feature.

I'm sure you will appreciate that it would be difficult, if not, impossible to kick start your scooter whilst sitting astride, as one could on a motorcycle.

Without this interlock, one might be tempted to try and kick start whilst standing aside the machine and that could result in a riderless runaway scooter. It's an automatic remember. That's the reason why they fit this interlock and also why a scooter always sits 'nose down' when it's on the centre stand.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Take a look around when you're next in a motorcycle park. You'll soon notice that most, probably all scooters have this interlock between kick start and centre stand. It's actually an important safety feature.

I'm sure you will appreciate that it would be difficult, if not, impossible to kick start your scooter whilst sitting astride, as one could on a motorcycle.

Without this interlock, one might be tempted to try and kick start whilst standing aside the machine and that could result in a riderless runaway scooter. It's an automatic remember. That's the reason why they fit this interlock and also why a scooter always sits 'nose down' when it's on the centre stand.

I've never needed to kick start. How would you do it on a scooter such as click?

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've never needed to kick start. How would you do it on a scooter such as click?

Fortunately, neither have I. Had it 2+ years now and it's fired up 1st time every time. The kick start really is only for emergency use if the battery dies.

I have rehearsed it though. Simply put it on the centre stand, turn on the ignition and kick the engine into life. Then the important bit. Mount it 1st, shove it off the stand and off you go.

Not the sort of thing you want to be doing in busy traffic so a good battery is important on a scooter.