Yamaha Aerox 155cc Launch

freedomnow

On 10/29/2017 at 6:43 PM, madhav said:

I spoke only in Thai from start to finish but probably the white skin is enough for the usual price adjustment.

“He Farang, he rich. Make price more.”

I went to the other dealer on the island, and the price I was quoted was 70k baht, and this was just for the standard model. Not including registration, was another 2k. I said that I want to do the registration myself and they said ‘mai dai’. So I said thanks and walked out.

Am going to bangkok next week so will pick one up there. Have seen a few second hand options with 2-3k km on the Odo going for around 50k baht. Will buy one like this and send it back via the post office for 2.5k. Baht. Will save at least 13k baht like this.

There is almost no incentive to buy from local places like this. I understand people want to make a profit but how stupid do they think we are. 

i would ride it back ,save the 2.5 k for gas and have some fun on it .........these little bikes can cruise at 120 all day and no risk of the post office breaking it 

• Like 2

On 10/29/2017 at 6:43 PM, madhav said:

I spoke only in Thai from start to finish but probably the white skin is enough for the usual price adjustment.

“He Farang, he rich. Make price more.”

I went to the other dealer on the island, and the price I was quoted was 70k baht, and this was just for the standard model. Not including registration, was another 2k. I said that I want to do the registration myself and they said ‘mai dai’. So I said thanks and walked out.

Am going to bangkok next week so will pick one up there. Have seen a few second hand options with 2-3k km on the Odo going for around 50k baht. Will buy one like this and send it back via the post office for 2.5k. Baht. Will save at least 13k baht like this.

There is almost no incentive to buy from local places like this. I understand people want to make a profit but how stupid do they think we are. 

The price has gone up since they first came out and it didn't include registration on the sticker price.(Never has)

So a couple of k on top of the Yamaha website price is quite reasonable for an island price. Items on any island are always a bit more expensive. Get a Thai to ask the price when you are not around. I suspect it will be the same.

2k extra for registration and insurance is standard practice and normal.

I think you are overthinking , as you are not being ripped off in any way. If you want to live on an island you have to pay a little extra for things. It's not the farang price, it's just the price.

If you went to the mainland and bought a new one, it would still end up costing you the extra in travel/shipping expenses anyway.

Sure come to Bkk and get a used one, but it won't be new and then welcome to the whole new crazy bureaucracy of trying to register it in Surat Thani.  (do they not have used ones there?)

My advice to you is pay a bit extra there. You are not being ripped off. Buying a used one from another province will cause you serious headaches.

5 hours ago, macknife said:

The price has gone up since they first came out and it didn't include registration on the sticker price.(Never has)

So a couple of k on top of the Yamaha website price is quite reasonable for an island price. Items on any island are always a bit more expensive. Get a Thai to ask the price when you are not around. I suspect it will be the same.

2k extra for registration and insurance is standard practice and normal.

I think you are overthinking , as you are not being ripped off in any way. If you want to live on an island you have to pay a little extra for things. It's not the farang price, it's just the price.

If you went to the mainland and bought a new one, it would still end up costing you the extra in travel/shipping expenses anyway.

Sure come to Bkk and get a used one, but it won't be new and then welcome to the whole new crazy bureaucracy of trying to register it in Surat Thani.  (do they not have used ones there?)

My advice to you is pay a bit extra there. You are not being ripped off. Buying a used one from another province will cause you serious headaches.

I would not go to all the effort to get a new one shipped or drive it from another province only to save 3k baht. I agree is stupid. However to save 13k baht, and considering I am going to Bangkok anyhow and it is not out of my way? I think is worth it. But we all have different value systems.

None available in Surat, I did check. As for buying used, well the bike has done less than 2,000km, so is practically new. There is no issue to have the name changed on the green book, will do it as soon as I buy it in Bangkok. From there is ok to use the bangkok plates in Samui. My car has BKK plates, some of our work cars also. Used cars here sell for crackpot prices. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

One thing about the Aerox is that’s it very aggressive which isn’t something you want if you have a family. My wife hated the sport bike type pillion riding position, lack of room for our son, and the rear foot pegs would dig into my calves when stopped at lights. 

Sold it and bought the nmax instead. Much better suited for us. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, lust said:

One thing about the Aerox is that’s it very aggressive which isn’t something you want if you have a family. My wife hated the sport bike type pillion riding position, lack of room for our son, and the rear foot pegs would dig into my calves when stopped at lights. 

Sold it and bought the nmax instead. Much better suited for us. 

Good decision!, I was tossing up between the Aerox and the NMAX and wisely  chose the NMAX and I am very happy too.

You made the right decision.  In my opinion the Nmax is the best bike one can buy for the kind of driving I do around Pattaya at any price.  It's got a superb chassis that makes it incredibly stable.  It's got superb handling.  Quickness and by far the best brakes that 80,000 baht can buy.  And it has A LOT of power for all driving conditions I encounter.  All of these qualities come together when I have a long line of slow moving cars and motorbikes ahead of me.  I can pour on the power, go into the right lane with impunity, and pass all those vehicles.  I have the acceleration to do it and if suddenly another vehicle suddenly appears in my lane, the bike is small enough that I can tuck into the line of traffic I'm passing and jump on those wonderful brakes.  Yamaha engineered this one to almost complete perfection. 

• Like 1

On 11/16/2017 at 9:37 AM, lust said:

You bought a scooter as a family vehicle? To carry your son and his mother on??

Good Lord!! 

Sell it and buy a proper vehicle or use safer transportation for your child until you can afford one. 

RE: buying nearly new. That's what I would too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, kids on scooters in the Number 1 country in the world for turning kids into bolognese sauce via the road.

Let's hope his isn't one of the thousands that end up like an Italian Dish.

The used price on these are fantastic. I haven't heard of any issues, or recalls or anything on them yet. Seem like a great value, reliable buy. 

On 16/11/2017 at 6:57 PM, nev said:

Good decision!, I was tossing up between the Aerox and the NMAX and wisely  chose the NMAX and I am very happy too.

I rented both and I left the nmax back early to go buy an aerox.... 

Only minor annoyance is a smaller fuel tank on the Aerox but the Aerox is smaller, faster, lighter and more agile, great price too

Either of them is way better than a Pcx tho

• Like 2

I visited this Yamaha dealer opposite of Thepprasit twice. But no service at all!

I went into three Mityon shops and they all had different prices. Finally I bought mine opposite of Tuckom, which was the cheapest. 

I am happy with my ABS model now. It is fun to drive, no vibration from the engine and best brakes so far on Thai scooters. 

And the keyless system is fantastic!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mateik1 said:

I visited this Yamaha dealer opposite of Thepprasit twice. But no service at all!

I went into three Mityon shops and they all had different prices. Finally I bought mine opposite of Tuckom, which was the cheapest. 

I am happy with my ABS model now. It is fun to drive, no vibration from the engine and best brakes so far on Thai scooters. 

And the keyless system is fantastic!

NMAX has the better brakes due to abs on the front and back other than that a nice bike congratulations.

8 hours ago, speedtripler said:

NMAX is an old mans armchair..... :smile:

Exactly why u bought one, sit back and relax in a nice comfy position and watch all the wanabee boy racers risk their life. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

By Dec 2017 people probably already know a lot about the Yamaha 155cc Aerox. I have a rented one from Mr Mechanic in Chiang Mai now and it's very impressive. It's blazing fast, balance is excellent at crawling speed so it's easy to snake between cars. Sophisticated engineering for the money. A lot of people rent these Aerox scooters in Chiang Mai, they better be durable and reliable. They're user friendly, ez to ride, they start instantly with fuel injection. I'm not much of a brand guy but these are a notch above the other Jappy scooters for now, according to rental bike fleet outfits that I've talked to here in Chiang Mai. I rode a Suzuki 150 Hayate long term in the Phillipines, Negros, Cebu and all over Bohol and thought it would be hard to find another scooter that good. I rented from Paul Whiteway who owns Kawasakis, Yamahas and Hondas. His personal fave was the Hayate because it rode and handled best, I believe it's the steering math and huge wheels. But I have to say the Aerox is really something, has a quality, substantial feel, it's got a hot rod engine, good handling and brakes. Rules out motorcycles for around town in my view, great looking for a scooter but not exactly Ducati presence out front of a cafe and can't make deep rumbly basso profundo sounds. Cockpit is a little tight for me on long distance, certainly no V-Strom but these scooters are ridden from Chiang Mai to Pai all the time, no problem. Quite some machinery for 70k brand new.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AdamKnight said:

By Dec 2017 people probably already know a lot about the Yamaha 155cc Aerox. I have a rented one from Mr Mechanic in Chiang Mai now and it's very impressive. It's blazing fast, balance is excellent at crawling speed so it's easy to snake between cars. Sophisticated engineering for the money. A lot of people rent these Aerox scooters in Chiang Mai, they better be durable and reliable. They're user friendly, ez to ride, they start instantly with fuel injection. I'm not much of a brand guy but these are a notch above the other Jappy scooters for now, according to rental bike fleet outfits that I've talked to here in Chiang Mai. I rode a Suzuki 150 Hayate long term in the Phillipines, Negros, Cebu and all over Bohol and thought it would be hard to find another scooter that good. I rented from Paul Whiteway who owns Kawasakis, Yamahas and Hondas. His personal fave was the Hayate because it rode and handled best, I believe it's the steering math and huge wheels. But I have to say the Aerox is really something, has a quality, substantial feel, it's got a hot rod engine, good handling and brakes. Rules out motorcycles for around town in my view, great looking for a scooter but not exactly Ducati presence out front of a cafe and can't make deep rumbly basso profundo sounds. Cockpit is a little tight for me on long distance, certainly no V-Strom but these scooters are ridden from Chiang Mai to Pai all the time, no problem. Quite some machinery for 70k brand new.

Mine was only about 65 in bkk for the " R" model

The lowest one was 62 but I didn't like the colours 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, speedtripler said:

Mine was only about 65 in bkk for the " R" model

The lowest one was 62 but I didn't like the colours 

Very easy to pick up an R in Bangkok second hand with 1000km on the clock for 50k baht.

• Like 1