Chiang Mai pub beating reveals evils of privilege

webfact

Chiang Mai pub beating reveals evils of privilege
By Sasithorn Ongdee 

6327b8bb010e9150d8d2617a42fe1bef.jpeg

BANGKOK" -- The idea that one group of society has certain “privileges” comes at a high cost. It also means the junta-led government continues to face allegations of “connections” routinely used to protect those privileges.

A 23-year graduate student was beaten by guards at a pub-restaurant in Chiang Mai last week after complaining that a restroom had been roped off for the exclusive use of television celebrities patronising the place.

The incident was no different to scenes of violence witnessed at nightclubs anywhere, but it made headlines because the young victim happened to be the son of a high-ranking military officer. It helped, too, that a group of male and female TV stars was involved. The boyfriend of one of the actresses has been blamed for instigating the attack. He is also reportedly a business partner of the pub.

The victim was severely injured in the attack and remains in hospital. As a customer of the pub he had every right to complain about what he saw as “unequal” service.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30301257

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-12-02

“Part of the problem is that the law is hazy, giving those responsible for its enforcement leeway to decide whether an alcohol vendor is too close to a school or college.”

1,000 Baht leeway. 5,000 baht leeway. So On and So On. 

"The pub owner in Chiang Mai has already shuttered his business, but the big problem of alcohol being sold openly close to schools and universities – and under the eye of the police – is getting worse."

The big problem has nothing to do with where alcohol is being sold. 

The big problem is that because those behind the attack felt themselves to be beyond the reach of the law they were quite happy to see a pack of guards assault someone they deemed less important than themselves. 

Actually, no, I'm wrong. The big problem is that they are probably usually correct in making this assumption.

The only reason they may be in trouble this time is the victim also has connections. 

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

"The pub owner in Chiang Mai has already shuttered his business, but the big problem of alcohol being sold openly close to schools and universities – and under the eye of the police – is getting worse."

The big problem has nothing to do with where alcohol is being sold. 

The big problem is that because those behind the attack felt themselves to be beyond the reach of the law they were quite happy to see a pack of guards assault someone they deemed less important than themselves. 

Actually, no, I'm wrong. The big problem is that they are probably usually correct in making this assumption.

The only reason they may be in trouble this time is the victim also has connections. 

Yes indeed, much of the article is nonsense but this is a very interesting ' competition ' between the status of those who are, or think they are, special, hi-so or however they see themselves against someone whose dad is part of the current ruling organisation and does have influence all the way to the top.

It would be easy to say there's no prizes for guessing who will win out but clout here can have a strange application at times although it does seem the would be celebrities have overstepped the mark this time.

"...Chiang Mai pub beating reveals evils of privilege..."

Hardly a revelation !!!

all_animals_are_equal.jpg

The final sentence of this article by The Nation should become the mantra of the "ordinary" Thai people - "Once again, the privileged few are taking advantage at the expense of the rest of us" !!!

This incident would never have happened if all involved were introduced to each other, and proper Sakdina hierarchy had been established.

I blame whitening cream.....hi-so's and commoners....it's so difficult to tell them apart these days.

To avoid this kind of problem in future, all entertainment places should make it mandatory for patrons to present updated copies of bank books, parents business card and car keys on arrival. Separate the wheat from the chaff right at the doors.

It definitely is refreshing to see these idiots who battered this young lad to a pulp, expecting that it would go completely unignored because of their perceived lofty status. It is good that this has blown up in their faces & that the bar has been shut down.

The story of the CCTV being out of order is also a bit too convenient for me, I hope these guys get absolutely stiffed in court. The general will be fuming and won't be in a hurry for any cash payments, he'll want to see jail sentences, and I think he'll get his wish on this 1

22 minutes ago, z42 said:

It definitely is refreshing to see these idiots who battered this young lad to a pulp, expecting that it would go completely unignored because of their perceived lofty status. It is good that this has blown up in their faces & that the bar has been shut down.

The story of the CCTV being out of order is also a bit too convenient for me, I hope these guys get absolutely stiffed in court. The general will be fuming and won't be in a hurry for any cash payments, he'll want to see jail sentences, and I think he'll get his wish on this 1

Thailand:  Hub of broken CCTV cameras.  

The only reason this is news is that the person doing the beating turned out to be less privileged than the one being beaten. That's a big no no in LOS.

Had the General's son been the son of a market vendor, none of us would have even heard about this incident.

20 minutes ago, digibum said:

Thailand:  Hub of broken CCTV cameras.  

Amazing isn't it, CCTV is installed for safety, security etc and just how many times when footage is needed the system is ' unfortunately ' not working  ?

Of course there's always the previous Bkk system where ' cameras ' are fakes and only there for effect.

5 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

God forbid,you have to share a toilet with a commoner,(but he was also a( HiSo),

I think these so called VIP's have a very inflated opinion of themselves,and that

is the problem.

regards worgeordie

Exactly and they can't understand or accept when others don't share that inflated self-opinion.

1 hour ago, PatOngo said:

........but this behavior appears acceptable to 60 million of the silent majority.

Yes, it's the same with the DSI and the corrupt monk. The corrupt monk has money and has many backers, but he still shouldn't be any match for the army and police. Yet, the government is still too scared to go after him.

Imagine what a few million poor people in this country could achieve, let alone all of them. It's time the average man realised how powerful he is when in a large group. They're up against bullies. And bullies are cowards by nature who prey on fear and weakness. 

........but this behavior appears acceptable to 60 million of the silent majority.

I don't think it is acceptable, they acquiesce, because they know that to take a stand would mean facing a corrupted judicial system with savage sanctions, at the hands of a regime which will stop at nothing to maintain its control, and that of those it serves.

The silent majority have been inculcated through education and the birth hierarchy system of this society that rights and privileges belong to the rich minority and therefore it is karma that prevents them doing anything about it. However, with social media, gradually young people are learning that they do have rights and can beat the corrupt system once in awhile. Cracks are developing in the system but the military is here to fix these cracks.

15 minutes ago, Pepper1959 said:

The silent majority have been inculcated through education and the birth hierarchy system of this society that rights and privileges belong to the rich minority and therefore it is karma that prevents them doing anything about it. However, with social media, gradually young people are learning that they do have rights and can beat the corrupt system once in awhile. Cracks are developing in the system but the military is here to fix these cracks.

They can't fix them, only paper over them. The military is the upholder of the system you so correctly describe, but ultimately it has to rely on those who make up its rank and file, and they are predominately conscripted from those same young people .  The Police,  corrupt and incompetent as they are, are likewise drawn from the same pool. In both cases the divide is exacerbated by the lack of opportunity for talent to gain promotion, promotions are driven by purchase, cronyism and nepotism . 

When (and at some point it is inevitable) the system is challenged, either by an individual ,  a movement developing or an event, these two agencies which guarantee the status quote will crumble.

Like all major reactions, there needs to be a catalyst. I don't know what it will be,  (I have one or two ideas), but one there will be. My hope is that it will  not result in great bloodshed. My fear is that it will. But when the structure is shaken the paper over those cracks will tear quickly.

This incident ,  apart from being amusing to watch some hi-so's come spectacularly unstuck,  will serve to remind these young people of how unfairly, by comparison they would be treated.

1 hour ago, JAG said:

They can't fix them, only paper over them. The military is the upholder of the system you so correctly describe, but ultimately it has to rely on those who make up its rank and file, and they are predominately conscripted from those same young people .  The Police,  corrupt and incompetent as they are, are likewise drawn from the same pool. In both cases the divide is exacerbated by the lack of opportunity for talent to gain promotion, promotions are driven by purchase, cronyism and nepotism . 

When (and at some point it is inevitable) the system is challenged, either by an individual ,  a movement developing or an event, these two agencies which guarantee the status quote will crumble.

Like all major reactions, there needs to be a catalyst. I don't know what it will be,  (I have one or two ideas), but one there will be. My hope is that it will  not result in great bloodshed. My fear is that it will. But when the structure is shaken the paper over those cracks will tear quickly.

This incident ,  apart from being amusing to watch some hi-so's come spectacularly unstuck,  will serve to remind these young people of how unfairly, by comparison they would be treated.

Nice points.

IMHO one 'event' or' situation' that will push more folks to 'stand up and be counted' is the strong realization that the neighboring countries are obviously (can see it, in your face) developing more than Thailand and overall a much bigger % of the total population have a much better quality of life, have much better quality education, these countries have much better infrastructure, have more opportunities and etc.

And they  will also realize that the people elected into the governments in neighboring countries on the rise are more experienced, more educated, more honest and sincere, are working to very valid and valuable lon-term goals and making steady progress. An obviously different scenario to home.

One day, nobody knows when, more and more Thais are going to get angry and say 'how come  all our neighbors are more advanced, the majority of the population have good homes, they take o/seas holidays etc., etc'. And the Thais will more strongly demand change.

Singapore is an obvious example, Malaysia a bit behind Singapore. Vietnam rising rapidly, some folks believe Myanmar will take a bit longer to reorganize but will then rise rapidly, etc. Indonesia is also on the rise.  And Singapore and Malaysia going from strength to strength.

Thais are still at large very passive but wow things have changed a lot in just the last 2 or 3 years and it's pretty obvious the 'stand up and be counted' is driven to some extent by social media and without doubt this will increase. Good!

Edited by scorecard

5 hours ago, PatOngo said:

I don't really agree. My Thai son and his buddies tell me Thais are very unhappy about all of this stuff, they realize their is no equality, they well realize there is no equal justice, but many still feel way too frightened to stand up and be counted and they are very selective where they discuss things.

'Stand up and be counted' has many configurations - the local village boy who has become very aware and angry but says nothing because he's frightened of the village / district chief / the local police / local mafia, etc. Frightened for his own safety but even more so for the safety and well being of his family. 

But, mainly from what my Thai son shares with me, and own obvious analysis times are slowly changing.  A long way to go. 

5 hours ago, Sphere said:

This incident would never have happened if all involved were introduced to each other, and proper Sakdina hierarchy had been established.

I blame whitening cream.....hi-so's and commoners....it's so difficult to tell them apart these days.

To avoid this kind of problem in future, all entertainment places should make it mandatory for patrons to present updated copies of bank books, parents business card and car keys on arrival. Separate the wheat from the chaff right at the doors.

Damn right! The peon class have their place.....serving! My Mama believes that all cosmetics that blur the lines between Us and them should be rigorously controlled, as well as a definite separation of homes and working class slums!

21 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I don't really agree. My Thai son and his buddies tell me Thais are very unhappy about all of this stuff, they realize their is no equality, they well realize there is no equal justice, but many still feel way too frightened to stand up and be counted and they are very selective where they discuss things.

'Stand up and be counted' has many configurations - the local village boy who has become very aware and angry but says nothing because he's frightened of the village / district chief / the local police / local mafia, etc. Frightened for his own safety but even more so for the safety and well being of his family. 

But, mainly from what my Thai son shares with me, and own obvious analysis times are slowly changing.  A long way to go. 

' But, mainly from what my Thai son shares with me, and own obvious analysis times are slowly changing.' Oh, they are. Slowly, but surely. A few years ago, most Thais wouldn't say boo to bad service. They do now; and a great deal more. One example was the lady Honda owner who, tired of not getting satisfaction over her complaints about the car she had not long had, parked on the forecourt of the dealer and went to work with a hammer on the offending item - the car. It worked.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

A 23-year graduate student was beaten by guards at a pub-restaurant in Chiang Mai last week after complaining that a restroom had been roped off for the exclusive use of television celebrities patronising the place.

Looks can be deceiving. I guess the student whose father was a high ranking general matched their celebrity status and raised them one. He with his status would never accept refusal to a bathroom. How gauche.