Dhammachayo agrees to surrender provided he is granted bail

rooster59

Dhammachayo agrees to surrender provided he is granted bail

0312008.jpg

The embattled abbot of Wat Dhammakaya, Phra Dhammachayo, is ready to turn himself in to knowledge criminal charges against him on the condition that he is granted bail.

The above arrangement was agreed upon after about three hours of talk and negotiation between officials of the Department of Special Investigation, representatives of the National Office of Buddhism, the chief monk of Pathum Thani and legal advisors of Wat Dhammakaya at the temple on Friday.

The DSI was represented by Mr Phisitchai Sawangwattanakorn and Mr Boonruang Leelavichitseth.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/dhammachayo-agrees-to-surrender-provided-he-is-granted-bail/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-12-03

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Once he surrender and face charges, he can, like most other accused, admit culpability,

cut a deal with the prosecution, pay a fine, get a slap on wrist and go home scot free

like many others before him.......

He has evaded them for a long time, ignored many ultimatums, so he eventually goes in voluntarily.

So they give him bail, and tell him to come back on a certain date, because he needs to be charged, and if guilty, incarcerated.

It is not rocket science to see he ain't going to go back. 

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

No one is  above the law, why should he be treated any different to anybody else?

Grant him nothing, if guilty jail him.

Or maybe he could just go to a temple and repent his sins , then all will be forgotten. 

"No one is above the law"

In Thailand, what law? There is no law!

The issue is that monks can be disrobed to face charges, without ever being convicted. 

The attack on him is political, rather than criminal (other recipients of the same embezzled money have not been pursued)

The temple unfortunately became associated with Red Shirts after the then PM Thaksin went there to join ceremonies. The temple in fact have always remained staunchly non-partisan regarding politics, for the simple reason that taking any side would lost them 40-60% of their devotees. 

It's fine not to like the place (I don't), but take a balanced view.

Does anyone in the legal fraternity know the definition of justice or what the words mockery and travesty mean?  I doubt it or maybe it's the way that the English language is understood that those meanings are lost in the translation. 

Now I'm only looking for the right excuse that they could come up with because what they have offered so far is just a slap in the face of justice.  No wonder there is so much disrespect shown towards the legal profession when they dish out such tripe. :wai: 

44 minutes ago, maoro2013 said:

Who is he to make demands??

I totally agree with you but the ' who ' aspect breaks down to a senior member of a revered institution with a lot of followers and, it must be suspected, some powerful, influential backers who is managing to have a bunch of supposedly military hard men chasing their tails and very obviously scared to take him on.

Disgusting isn't it ?

3 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

What's next, full co-operation providing there are no charges but if it's absolutely necessary to maintain the farce for public consumption and he has to appear in court a written assurance he will never be convicted ?

You could be a very good lawyer  :thumbsup:

'In the interest of peace and harmony and the possibility of violence I decided that the gracious thing was to surrender to the police'. Never mind that he has prolonged this saga for months and made (yet another) mockery of the cops and DSI. Smug git.

Ahhhh' good old 'compromise' face saved all around and much back slapping to come. Or maybe I'm just a cynic. :sorry:

Edited by Psimbo

30 minutes ago, Sarathi said:

The issue is that monks can be disrobed to face charges, without ever being convicted. 

The attack on him is political, rather than criminal (other recipients of the same embezzled money have not been pursued)

The temple unfortunately became associated with Red Shirts after the then PM Thaksin went there to join ceremonies. The temple in fact have always remained staunchly non-partisan regarding politics, for the simple reason that taking any side would lost them 40-60% of their devotees. 

It's fine not to like the place (I don't), but take a balanced view.

This is the first time I have heard an objective analysis of why he has been charged. If true, it is quite an indictment of the powers that be. 

Looks like financial negotiations on palm greasing and face saving is nearly at an end! then everyone can breath a sigh of relief as its stuck in the court system for eternity or until he dies. Everyones a winner, other than those who lost money in the scheme, but they are fairly low down on the priority list.

The men of the cloth ...... again!

The catholic church paid hundreds of millions in swiping pedophile accusations under the sheer endless carpet of the Vatican while the saffron brother here in Thailand insists on a guaranteed bail.

Pathetic - to say the least ! 

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

This is the first time I have heard an objective analysis of why he has been charged. If true, it is quite an indictment of the powers that be. 

I think originally it was political until the powers that be realised that it was probably a larger apple than they wanted to chew on (and perhaps even some of their military brethren were followers). The last thing they need under current circumstances is an arrest which ends up with carnage. 

Hence the reason that the motor mouths at the top of the NCPO have been distinctly quiet on the whole affair, apart from the poor Justice Minister who has no choice but to issue statements from time to time.

Time for the army to step in. Section 44,  go in with armed troops and search the compound, drag him out by his feet if he doesn't come peacefully, put a bullet in any "disciples" that take it upon themselves to block or otherwise intervene with justice.

4 minutes ago, Myran said:

Time for the army to step in. Section 44,  go in with armed troops and search the compound, drag him out by his feet if he doesn't come peacefully, put a bullet in any "disciples" that take it upon themselves to block or otherwise intervene with justice.

He probably has many high ranking military disciples himself. The last thing the Thai army wants, needs or has experience with is to have people shoot back at them.

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Once he surrender and face charges, he can, like most other accused, admit culpability,

cut a deal with the prosecution, pay a fine, get a slap on wrist and go home scot free

like many others before him.......

May not be that simple.

He can hardly become a monk to atone now can he?

:sorry:

11 minutes ago, Myran said:

I often wonder whether any of the enthusiasts for "putting bullets" in people for various reasons have ever been near a "two way range" themselves?