Mistake or unknown Thai sales tactic?

dingdongrb

During this past weekend I was shopping at my local Makro store and needed to stock up on dish soap. As I was reaching for my normal choice, the 6-pack of 500ML bottles, I noticed that the 6-pack of the 800ML bottles sitting right next to the 500ML ones were cheaper.

With these being the same brand I'm wondering why are the 800ML bottles cheaper? 

I thought this was rather odd as I've seen too many times before as well as it being mentioned here how bulk packaging sometimes tends to cost more here in Thailand for whatever reason. That is, a 4-pack of something tends to cost more than 4 single packs of the same item.

With pricing like this who would even consider buying the 6-pack of the 500ML bottles?

And yes, I did buy the 6-pack of the 800ML bottles and yes I watched it scan for 129 THB as well as verified it on my receipt.

Both.jpg

500ML.jpg

800ML.jpg

10 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Hopefully some day in the future stores will use "unit pricing".

Please explain what you mean by 'unit pricing'....  Would that mean to sell only one single piece of everything?

BTW, if you notice on the pricing cards there is a 'unit price' listed for each although you need to buy six in this case.

34 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Please explain what you mean by 'unit pricing'....  Would that mean to sell only one single piece of everything?

BTW, if you notice on the pricing cards there is a 'unit price' listed for each although you need to buy six in this case.

I think he means a standard unit.. like price per liter so you can see what one is really cheaper if its not clear. 

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

I think he means a standard unit.. like price per liter so you can see what one is really cheaper if its not clear. 

The price label has that information although it appears to be rounded up...  (price per ML)

This has become a common practice for most costing labels for years and it appears only the savvy shoppers are aware of it....  :smile:

500ML_1.jpg

4 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

The price label has that information although it appears to be rounded up...  (price per ML)

This has become a common practice for most costing labels for years and it appears only the savvy shoppers are aware of it....  :smile:

500ML_1.jpg

I havent really looked at it before. I am quite good at calculations and I always got a phone (if its close) or my mind when its an easy calculation. But thanks for the tip, though it might be that Makro only has this not other supermarkets.

Just now, robblok said:

I havent really looked at it before. I am quite good at calculations and I always got a phone (if its close) or my mind when its an easy calculation. But thanks for the tip, though it might be that Makro only has this not other supermarkets.

No, check it out, it's pretty common through the industry when dealing with some of the more mid-sized and larger establishments. 

Its the same with cooking oil,you would think 5 ltr bulk can would

be cheaper than 5 x 1 ltr bottles,but its not as the 1 ltrs bottle are

controlled price by the Government,shopping in any place here you

have to have your wits about you.

regards worgeordie

23 minutes ago, jimmym40 said:

Is it possible that the labels were somehow switched.    Meaning the price labelling is wrong.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw it but that was not the case as during checkout the barcode on the 800ML pack rang up to be 129 THB. If they were switched then it would have been 172 THB.

Also another way to verify that before getting to the checkout counter is to check the barcode on the package against the barcode on the shelf label. I did that as I tend to do that frequently at Big C because I have found at Big C they are notorious for placing the products on the shelves in the wrong place where the product placed at a certain label isn't the product for that label. (NOTE: I frequently use the scanners placed at certain strategic locations through the building columns at Big C to verify correct pricing.)

Barcode.jpg

Thanks dingdongrb for sharing. I will be watchful with the prices now. Usually i don't compare, just grab what i need.
It makes me recall a similar case i experienced in Tesco Lotus last year. After loading 2 cartons 6-bottle Heineken into the cart, i happened to take a glimpse at the shelf and noticed that per bottle if added up was marginally cheaper than per carton. But i dismissed the extra difference as "packaging cost". Imagine having to clutch 12 bottles home?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The other thing to watch out for is out of date products.  Just recently i have encountered them three times in Supermarkets.   In one instance i showed a staff member and he just laughed and walked away, so i went to the service counter...blank looks !

Tesco Lotus 3 pack of toilet cleaner more expensive than buying 3 of the same bottles separately.

Also fabric softener in a 3 pack again more than picking up 3 single packets.

Then there was one involving coffee in Rimping. There are so many of these I forget. I always check before picking up a "discount package"  !!!!

why does Villa market near Sukhumvit soi 31 price meat on the bottom of the package, so you have to take each one out and turn it over to see the price? 

if their beef were not the best value I would not buy it. but they are best price for quality beef. but since their reno few months ago they have taken to this new pricing practice. so we stand there with the door open flipping packets to find price per kg etc. i buy mostly from order with the butcher but there are some cuts that are not done by order. 

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Its the same with cooking oil,you would think 5 ltr bulk can would

be cheaper than 5 x 1 ltr bottles,but its not as the 1 ltrs bottle are

controlled price by the Government,shopping in any place here you

have to have your wits about you.

regards worgeordie

Don't use the Thai cooking oils. Always olive oil with or without unsalted butter, depending on the meal.

Edited by BrainLife

59 minutes ago, Minnehaha said:

why does Villa market near Sukhumvit soi 31 price meat on the bottom of the package, so you have to take each one out and turn it over to see the price? 

if their beef were not the best value I would not buy it. but they are best price for quality beef. but since their reno few months ago they have taken to this new pricing practice. so we stand there with the door open flipping packets to find price per kg etc. i buy mostly from order with the butcher but there are some cuts that are not done by order. 

My Thai wife would say "Don't ask why!" (translation - there is no logical explanation so don't bother looking for one). Meanwhile, if you're looking for a real bargain then try Big C......

1975042_10153322410258420_7825031815697367480_n.jpg

1 hour ago, BrainLife said:

Same goes for the CP "toast" ham (at Tesco's at least)

A pack of 500 grams costs 275baht and has 15 slices.

(1 kg / 30 slices CP ham, 270baht at the Macro FYI)

The standard CP ham, 4 slices packs cost 50baht.

Do the math

But here you are comparing two different stores.... big difference, in my opinion....

31 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My Thai wife would say "Don't ask why!" (translation - there is no logical explanation so don't bother looking for one). Meanwhile, if you're looking for a real bargain then try Big C......

1975042_10153322410258420_7825031815697367480_n.jpg

In my opinion Big C is not the 'real' bargain' unless coupons are involved....  and Big C has had lame check out service lately.....   2 registrars open for 50 customers.....  reminding me of Target and Walmart back in the USA....

Yeah absolute bargain at 22 Bt, discounted all the way down from 22 Bt. Now let me see how much discount is that , well 22 - 22 = 0  Wow that is no discount at all. Makes me feel like one of those dummies on Spitting Image that needs its brain slotted in !! :omfg:

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

In my opinion Big C is not the 'real' bargain' unless coupons are involved....  and Big C has had lame check out service lately.....   2 registrars open for 50 customers.....  reminding me of Target and Walmart back in the USA....

Depends which branch, I guess. I've never had a problem in Kalasin.

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Depends which branch, I guess. I've never had a problem in Kalasin.

I would perhaps agree but that has been my experience for Big C Hangdong over the past couple of months.....  and then again I tend to go the early hrs (in and out before noon) to beat the crowds...