"Thai people only"

edwinchester

49 minutes ago, mania said:

Yes it happens in various ways in Thailand

When I first moved there I did not mind..I thought good they take care of their own #1

But I admit I guess after a few years living there & learning to speak, read & write Thai

Own a condo/home,truck,motorbike etc you start to feel like your a part of Thailand

Then something like this.... while technically not a big deal..... pops up to remind us & yes it does sting a bit

to me anyways it did.

Same as many BUPA insurance policies with better maximum coverage's

Limited to Thai Nationals which I never really understood either

Of course there are other examples ....

But we all knew & mostly had been told many times before moving there

to never expect to really be accepted outside of your extended Thai family/relatives/friends etc.

But yes... when at times after years you forgot & something albeit small like this happened

it did sting just that bit

You're a 'citizen of the world' like you're a 'legend in your own lunchtime'

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Falconator said:

I was at the Chiang Rai market. A lady selling wooden frogs was trying to sell them for much more expensive price to some European tourists.

Then she told me in Thai that she is selling it more expensive to them because they're Farang, and that she'd offer them to me for cheaper.

I'm ethnically Asian but am a US citizen, so I'm a Farang in disguise. So to be honest, I didn't like the way she said that. Unfortunately, this is how many Thais think, which is actually not too far off from how many Chinese also think.

If you wear a Hua-Wei companyshirt in China they will also ask you a raised price because you must have a good salary.

1 hour ago, edwinchester said:

She's Thai so no misunderstanding.

So can I ask why you need to get your wife to talk for you? Are you just off the boat?

I'd say if you can't be bothered learning how to say, "It's my birthday, can I get a free pizza" then you don't deserve one and they were right to tell you where to go.

31 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

So can I ask why you need to get your wife to talk for you? Are you just off the boat?

I'd say if you can't be bothered learning how to say, "It's my birthday, can I get a free pizza" then you don't deserve one and they were right to tell you where to go.

My wife walked in about a minute before me and asked about the deal.

She was the one irritated by the refusal.

I have learnt what happens here sometimes.

3 minutes ago, evadgib said:

If this means you stayed and supported their racist policy there was little point in starting the thread.

It didn't phase me too much but my wife(Thai) was the one irritated by it.

Consider this a way of highlighting her irritation and that not all Thais support what you call their racist policy.

3 hours ago, bendejo said:

There's places in the US that offer a free dessert if it's your birthday.  Basically it's a cupcake with a candle.  But they make the whole wait staff come over in a procession and descend on your table while singing a birthday song.  There's a tinge of humiliation to the whole ceremony, so, OP, maybe the rejection has spared you some grief.

Svensen do that here. I rather like the attention as the girls are always cute.

3 hours ago, Falconator said:

It's about residency too.

- Some UK museums in tourist areas give lower-priced tickets to local town residents.

- Hawaii also gives lower prices to local state residents for things like parkings spots in tourist areas.

Certainly in UK, and I'd guess it's the same in Hawaii, if you can prove that you are a local town resident, using whatever residence criteria they require, you'll get the local price regardless of nationality, race, whether or not you voted for 'Brexit', or anything else.

Not so in Thailand, but never mind.

Edited by MartinL

Went to Pizza Company and wifey got all excited when she saw the signs for a discount for those who share the same birthday as the previous King, December 5th.
"Thai people only" was the short reply to her enquiry. This farang has the same birthday and didn't qualify for the discount, near ruined her day.

How much was the discount anyway?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Falconator said:

I was at the Chiang Rai market. A lady selling wooden frogs was trying to sell them for much more expensive price to some European tourists.

Then she told me in Thai that she is selling it more expensive to them because they're Farang, and that she'd offer them to me for cheaper.

I'm ethnically Asian but am a US citizen, so I'm a Farang in disguise. So to be honest, I didn't like the way she said that. Unfortunately, this is how many Thais think, which is actually not too far off from how many Chinese also think.

There's always 2 different prices: one price for people who know how to negotiate and another price for those that don't.

Chinese have told me that Germans generally pay the highest price.  They don't pick on Germans vs Brits vs Americans.  They have found from experience that Germans generally give up negotiating quicker than their other foreign customers.

She'll offer it to you cheaper because she doesn't want to waste time haggling with someone who speaks Thai (or looks Asian), because you're probably familiar with the culture and negotiating prices.  Most of us from the nanny states never had to learn how.  We pay accordingly.  Then we whine about getting cheated.

38 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It was the King of Thailands birthday and the pizza was a present to Thais who shared the Kings birthday . Why should foreigners benefit when it isnt THEIR Kings Birthday ?

yet they are expected to "respect" him

8 hours ago, sanemax said:

It was the King of Thailands birthday and the pizza was a present to Thais who shared the Kings birthday . Why should foreigners benefit when it isnt THEIR Kings Birthday ?

I don't think he would have agreed with you

15289344_1472331729460850_8748878424812839749_o.jpg

Edited by mania

10 hours ago, sanemax said:

There are many countries on this planet where the people view foreign tourists as guests to a degree, and conscious of the impression they are making on the foreigner, considering what this person will say about them when they return to their country.  This is even in a certain Western Hemisphere country where the people are infamous for their superior attitude.  A gesture like this would be a way of being welcoming and inclusive, as if to say "welcome to our home, come join the family" whereas the exclusion sends the message "you don't belong here."

People in the US don't really have this (and it's not the country I'm referring to above), but all the same when the department stores have a sale for George Washington's birthday no one is going to question your citizenship.

8 hours ago, BudRight said:

It doesn't matter if somewhere else is racist too you morons. Everywhere in the world could be racist and that wouldn't mean it was fine or good. 

These forums are truly filled with the misanthropes of the world.

"Everywhere in the world could be racist and that wouldn't mean it was fine or good".

Of course  :thumbsup:

15 hours ago, impulse said:

... They have found from experience that Germans generally give up negotiating quicker than their other foreign customers. ...

For which we are eternally grateful to British Bomber Command.

Edited by NanLaew

21 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

BS

If they don't want to make promotions available to white people, they shouldn't have to.

I don't see farangs up in arms when black Africans are denied entry to certain bars around Sukhumvit.

yep...if there was a boycott by farang against pizza co, i'm sure they would change the policy...private businesses should be able to determine their customers...and reap the benefits/consequences

20 hours ago, Falconator said:

Which is really not too far off from people in other parts of the world... there were always stories in NYC of taxi drivers picking up Japanese tourists at the airport and charging them $250 for a $25 ride... then of course, many of the taxi drivers were from Pakistan... and then we can get into Big Pharma charging exorbitant amounts for pills that cost far less if produced out of the country and sold generically... all business as usual... 

Of course, I am sure the lady with the wooden frogs is in a competitive market, one where prices are not set and involve bargaining. And nobody really needs these frogs like they might need a drug to battle illness. So, people will only buy them if they think it is worth the money, to them, at that moment...

And good for her - I am sure the limo is waiting outside the market to take her home. 

But, because you could see through her business techniques, you were upset, whereas near any purchase you make, near anywhere, will have equally offensive aspects... life goes on. And many of the wooden frog buyers of the world have learned to comparison shop and she will just as likely make less money in the long run... so it goes. 

21 hours ago, damo said:

Don't take it too personally, I think you may have just been misadvised by some numpty dekserve. I can happen in Thailand sometimes, not often though.

Not really. The skytrain in Bangkok offers the same racist policy of offering a discount to pensioners outside peak hours, but only for Thais. In contrast, the MRT offers a 50 percent discount to ALL pensioners all the time. I wrote to BTS asking how they justified their dual pricing and of course received no reply because they can't.

They simply do it because dual pricing is sanctioned at the very highest level in Thailand by the government operating it at National Parks. Sets a fine example, doesn't it. And let's not have the 'But Thais pay taxes' nonsense. Every foreigner working in Thailand pays taxes, and in fact every foreigner in Thailand working or not pays VAT.

20 hours ago, Falconator said:

Some Thai golf course offer Thai only promotions. Usually with my WP I am allowed to pay the "Thai' price. Except at a certain 27 hole course where they flat out told me: " Farang have more money".. 

26 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Not really. The skytrain in Bangkok offers the same racist policy of offering a discount to pensioners outside peak hours, but only for Thais. In contrast, the MRT offers a 50 percent discount to ALL pensioners all the time. I wrote to BTS asking how they justified their dual pricing and of course received no reply because they can't.

They simply do it because dual pricing is sanctioned at the very highest level in Thailand by the government operating it at National Parks. Sets a fine example, doesn't it. And let's not have the 'But Thais pay taxes' nonsense. Every foreigner working in Thailand pays taxes, and in fact every foreigner in Thailand working or not pays VAT.

It's not about paying taxes.  It's about who owns the country, and consequently, who are the intended beneficiaries of any policies they may adopt.  I look at Thailand as a business.  Until we have Thai citizenship, we're just customers, no matter how much we pay in taxes, how long we live here, how many Thais we employ or how much we spend in country.  

Thailand, Inc. isn't much different than any business that's run for the benefit of shareholders.  You can spend as much as you want at Disneyland, and they may pamper you like an honored guest.  But you still don't get the employee and stockholder discounts, or a dividend check.  And you don't get to vote at the stockholder meetings, or a say in company policies.  If you want those perks, you have to become an owner.

In Thailand, that means getting Thai citizenship.  If they still charge you the foreigner price even with a Thai passport, you have a legitimate gripe.

Edited by impulse

21 hours ago, Falconator said:

And not to far off from how many (fill in nationality of your choice) think.