"Thai people only"

edwinchester

Went to Pizza Company and wifey got all excited when she saw the signs for a discount for those who share the same birthday as the previous King, December 5th.

"Thai people only" was the short reply to her enquiry. This farang has the same birthday and didn't qualify for the discount, near ruined her day.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Went to Pizza Company and wifey got all excited when she saw the signs for a discount for those who share the same birthday as the previous King, December 5th.

"Thai people only" was the short reply to her enquiry. This farang has the same birthday and didn't qualify for the discount, near ruined her day.

What language did your wife speak to the staff in?

I've never had any issue receiving similar offers on father's day, as long as I had my son with me. Is your wife Thai? If not, maybe it was lost in translation. You would need your passport to prove it was your birthday.Did you have it? 

Just now, YeahSiam said:

On the contrary, we should applaud the Thais' complete and total disdain for the political correctness so many of us self-important Westerners say has gone mad in our home countries.

"Political correctness" refers to speech codes, not discrimination by businesses. I guess you'd be okay if the policy was "no gays" or "Buddhists only" or "men only?"

2 minutes ago, BudRight said:

"Political correctness" refers to speech codes, not discrimination by businesses. I guess you'd be okay if the policy was "no gays" or "Buddhists only" or "men only?"

BS

If they don't want to make promotions available to white people, they shouldn't have to.

I don't see farangs up in arms when black Africans are denied entry to certain bars around Sukhumvit.

1 minute ago, YeahSiam said:

BS

If they don't want to make promotions available to white people, they shouldn't have to.

I don't see farangs up in arms when black Africans are denied entry to certain bars around Sukhumvit.

There are frequent threads about Thais being racist against black people.

You're just saying that it's fine. 

7 minutes ago, BudRight said:

There are frequent threads about Thais being racist against black people.

You're just saying that it's fine. 

Thai people doing what they want in Thailand? Yes, that's fine with me.

Now, what about the OP's pizza choices?

47 minutes ago, BudRight said:

That would be illegal in my country just as it would be illegal for Thais to beat up white people here.

It's not illegal for Thais to offer promotions to Thais only and white people should shut up about it and stop complaining.

Edited by seedy
Quote Hidden Post

27 minutes ago, BudRight said:

"Political correctness" refers to speech codes, not discrimination by businesses.

Is "Thai people only" not a "speech code" ? 555

Just admit it, you pulled that one out of your ass?

Edited by onthesoi

4 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

That would be illegal in my country just as it would be illegal for Thais to beat up white people here.

It's not illegal for Thais to offer promotions to Thais only and white people should shut up about it and stop complaining.

What the OP described would also be illegal in your country. Are you saying it should be illegal in Thailand?

Edited by BudRight

Just now, BudRight said:

What the OP described would be also be illegal in your country. Are you saying it should be illegal in Thailand? That's very different than post #12, maybe I've changed your mind after all.

No, I'm not saying it should be illegal here.

I think it's fine if they don't want to extend promotions to non-Thais.

I don't think it's fine if they beat up non-Thais and neither does the law.

I was at the Chiang Rai market. A lady selling wooden frogs was trying to sell them for much more expensive price to some European tourists.

Then she told me in Thai that she is selling it more expensive to them because they're Farang, and that she'd offer them to me for cheaper.

I'm ethnically Asian but am a US citizen, so I'm a Farang in disguise. So to be honest, I didn't like the way she said that. Unfortunately, this is how many Thais think, which is actually not too far off from how many Chinese also think.

1 minute ago, YeahSiam said:

No, I'm not saying it should be illegal here.

I think it's fine if they don't want to extend promotions to non-Thais.

I don't think it's fine if they beat up non-Thais and neither does the law.

Okay so discrimination is bad where you're from, but in Thailand it's okay?

2 minutes ago, Falconator said:

I was at the Chiang Rai market. A lady selling wooden frogs was trying to sell them for much more expensive price to some European tourists.

Then she told me in Thai that she is selling it more expensive to them because they're Farang, and that she'd offer them to me for cheaper.

I'm ethnically Asian but am a US citizen, so I'm a Farang in disguise. So to be honest, I didn't like the way she said that. Unfortunately, this is how many Thais think, which is actually not too far off from how many Chinese also think.

But you got over it, right?

Now, do you like pizza?

Yes it happens in various ways in Thailand

When I first moved there I did not mind..I thought good they take care of their own #1

But I admit I guess after a few years living there & learning to speak, read & write Thai

Own a condo/home,truck,motorbike etc you start to feel like your a part of Thailand

Then something like this.... while technically not a big deal..... pops up to remind us & yes it does sting a bit

to me anyways it did.

Same as many BUPA insurance policies with better maximum coverage's

Limited to Thai Nationals which I never really understood either

Of course there are other examples ....

But we all knew & mostly had been told many times before moving there

to never expect to really be accepted outside of your extended Thai family/relatives/friends etc.

But yes... when at times after years you forgot & something albeit small like this happened

it did sting just that bit

Edited by mania

55 minutes ago, claffey said:

I've never had any issue receiving similar offers on father's day, as long as I had my son with me. Is your wife Thai? If not, maybe it was lost in translation. You would need your passport to prove it was your birthday.Did you have it? 

Wife is Thai and also showed them my passport.

22 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

So, should people born in March feel discriminated against too... I wanted to be a pro baseball player but I can't hit a fastball... and a basketball hoop is too tall - - it discriminates against people under 6'4" - - 

Can we just get on with life here? 

Exactly. What a bunch of whining cry babies. really. The world has grown to be far to PC which is why some countries are the mess they are. In the US businesses reserve the right to not serve anybody for any reason. Same applies here it seems. If the guy was a foreigner  they do not want to honor it, pack up your stuff and go elsewhere, way better Pizza places to eat anyway. Its really quite simple.

But NOOOOOO. People gotta pull out the racist card hoping the world will all just sing "Kumbaya".

There's places in the US that offer a free dessert if it's your birthday.  Basically it's a cupcake with a candle.  But they make the whole wait staff come over in a procession and descend on your table while singing a birthday song.  There's a tinge of humiliation to the whole ceremony, so, OP, maybe the rejection has spared you some grief.

It's about residency too.

1. Singapore and Malaysian museums also charge dual pricing for foreigners by the way. It's not about race since Singaporeans an Malaysians are of many different ethnicities. I had to pay the foreigner price at a Singapore museum despite being able to blend in. After all, I could be a Malaysian from across the border.
  2. Some UK museums in tourist areas give lower-priced tickets to local town residents.
  3. Hawaii also gives lower prices to local state residents for things like parkings spots in tourist areas.