Can a US citzizen still set up company under Amity treaty?

• 1 month later...

I've spoken with a few lawyers in the last few days who say they can set up an Amity Treaty Company.  One lawyer in Chiang Mai charges 80,000 THB (not including visa and work permit).  A lawyer in Bangkok quoted 80,000 - 150,000 THB.  She also informed me that this business structure currently requires a minimum of 3 shareholders (with at least 51% being American), but that there's a law that will pass "soon" changing that to allow just one shareholder.  I also would value hearing from anyone with experience or knowledge about opening / operating an Amity Treaty Company - what benefits this structure offers you for your specific business operations (as compared with BOI, Thai Partnership, etc.), would you recommend it to other people, any drawbacks?  Any recommended lawyers?  Possible to set up without a lawyer?

For those not familar the Amity Treaty Company structure,  here's some background info from the Bangkok law firm I spoke with today:  http://www.mslaw2006.com/us_amity_treaty.html