US citizen take my wife somewhere with snow (not US)

Howdy- I'm a US citizen with a thai wife.  My wife would like to go somewhere with mountains and snow on holiday.  I'm not ready to apply for a US visa for her, can anyone recommend anywhere that's not too difficult to bring a Thai wife on holiday (that has mountains and snow)?  I'm thinking one of the Scandinavian countries?  Possibly one of the Non-EU countries would be easier?  Most of the guides I'm seeing are for an EU citizen bringing their spouse on a Schengen Visa, have any US citizens successfully brought a Thai spouse  to Europe?  Am I correct that even for Iceland or one of the Non-EU countries I still need a Schengen visa for both of us?

tia

35 minutes ago, thai3 said:

Sapporo Japan, nearer and cheaper and no visa, or Siberia Thais don't need a visa for Russia either

Having lived there for 2 years will second Sapporo - there are hot springs in surrounding mountains and the snow festival is a world class event and much less culture/food shock.

For Sapporo expect December thru March - Snow Festival is for a week in February each year.  Was there in 1961-3 and it was a major event even then.   But in the city itself there was often a shortage of snow so Army would have to truck it in from mountains.  

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

Sapporo sounds interesting.  We've been to Japan before, but we'll eventually get around to checking out the hotsprings in Japan.  Siberia is kind of more the vibe we're looking for, but I think the lack of English would be a problem for us.  I'll probably try a Visa application to one of the Scandinavian countries just to see what happens.  

I still remember decades ago when my Thai wife experienced snow for the first time.   Took her to Denver Colorado during the winter....we stayed there about a month....she was fed-up with snow and cold after about a week....and she has had no urge to revisit cold and snow since.

As People have mentioned - Sapporo, especially with the Ice Festival (early Feb).

However, anywhere with Mountains tends to have a lot of Aussie snowboarders / skiers... (a reputation has developed in and around Niseko with the poor behaviour of some tourists - which is bound to happen when there is a high number of tourists of any one nationality - there's always some idiot who's behaviour tarnishes the reputation of many).

Other areas... Train from Tokyo inland to Nagano and plenty of other ski areas (if thats what you are looking for) a little more Japanese and fewer 'poorly behaved' drunk tourists. 

I think Thai Airways has one direct flight per day BKK-Sapporo, there are numerous BKK-Tokyo (Narita & Haneda) direct flights per day. 

29 minutes ago, Pib said:

I still remember decades ago when my Thai wife experienced snow for the first time.   Took her to Denver Colorado during the winter....we stayed there about a month....she was fed-up with snow and cold after about a week....and she has had no urge to revisit cold and snow since.

That was where my wife first experience snow also, a little more than a decade ago - and Denver actually has very little snow in the city - to me sitting in a car during day you almost don't need a heater when sky is clear.  But cold indeed for a Thai; and a bit of danger as they have no idea how to walk on ice.  

Japan, S-Korea, maybe Siberia around here. I have skied much of the USA and Chile but distance and visas a nuisance. Finnair has great flights from BKK to Helsinki and the entire Nordic region.

My wife is Phuket native, spent a day shopping for mittens to go to Chiang Mai in February and was glad she had them.