Dual NIC and WiFi - Continual Disconnects.

Generalchaos

Wonder if anyone has any ideas on this frustrating problem?

I have an ASUS P8Z77V Motherboard, it comes with two NICs - Intel and Realtek (onboard) plus a Broadcom WiFi.

Both of the Ethernet adaptors are Gigabit and are connected using CAT 6 Cables to a Linksys EA6700 Router.

Ever since upgrading to the latest Win 10 Autumn upgrade I am getting continuous disconnects when using the Ethernet ports. This is especially pronounced on the Intel port. It will connect at 1.0GBp for about 2 minutes then it will disconnect and revert to Wifi, then the port will reconnect but now at 100mbps.

The Realtek does the same thing only a lot less, sometimes it will stay connected for more than 2 hours then the same thing happens, however, when it reconnects it is usually still at 1GBPs.

I have tried removing (uninstalling them) re installing using their latest drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling using the Win 10 drivers and absolutely nothing seems to work. When I first installed Win 10 when it was first released these cards were rock solid and I never had an occasion to ever use wifi, now it seems the wifi is more reliable than Ethernet.

I have changed the cables to the router, cleaned out the physical connections with contact cleaner, swapped cables etc. and absolutely nothing cures this problem.

Some people online suggested fresh install of Win 10, this has already been done twice now, the last time was 5 days ago and the problem still exists.

Any suggestions?

Cheers.

Unless in a server environment, there is no advantage in having 2 (or more) ethernet connections on the same LAN. The only way your machine could use both at the same time is if the NICs were teamed using special drivers. That also requires a managed switch. 

As RichCor says, it will only cause problems.

I would unplug the Realtek, disable the Wifi adapter and just use the Intel NIC

The problem is is I am not actually running the Realtek and Intel at the same time. The Realtek is normally disabled and I use the Intel (When it works).

What has started happening is the Intel disconnects and then the WiFi takes over, after a few seconds the Intel reconnects and the WiFi shuts off again.

I am currently running on WiFi only as the Intel is just frustrating, and it only reconnects at 100Mb where the WiFi runs at 300Mb.

1 hour ago, Generalchaos said:

The problem is is I am not actually running the Realtek and Intel at the same time. The Realtek is normally disabled and I use the Intel (When it works).

What has started happening is the Intel disconnects and then the WiFi takes over, after a few seconds the Intel reconnects and the WiFi shuts off again.

I am currently running on WiFi only as the Intel is just frustrating, and it only reconnects at 100Mb where the WiFi runs at 300Mb.

Disable Intel LAN controller and Wi-FI controller in bios and see what happens. 

6 minutes ago, Generalchaos said:

Cheers, your suggestion but all I got was no Intel NIC and No WiFi, the Realtek NIC connects at 1.0GBp but has already disconnected again after 2 minutes.

So the realtek dropped LAN. What happens if the intel is enabled and realtek disabled. I am looking for a clue here - so many permutations.

5 minutes ago, maxpower said:

So the realtek dropped LAN. What happens if the intel is enabled and realtek disabled. I am looking for a clue here - so many permutations.

Cheers,

you are thinking along the same lines as me here! I am currently running with only the Intel connected, the Realtek is disabled in BIOS and the Wifi is disconnected.

I have removed all of the Intel drivers and Win 10 has loaded up a Microsoft version from June this year. I have a feeling it is something to do with Win 10 itself rather than either of the two NICs, anyway, I will keep an eye on it as the Intel is at 1.0GBp and hasn't disconnected yet after 10 minutes.

Thanks for you input, I will see if it holds out like this.

I also should mention I have disabled IPV6 and have disabled all power management settings for the Intel NIC, so it doesn't enter power save mode. It is also set up now as fixed 1.0GBp TX/RX and is set to Force Master.

Edited by Generalchaos

1 minute ago, Generalchaos said:

Cheers,

you are thinking along the same lines as me here! I am currently running with only the Intel connected, the Realtek is disabled in BIOS and the Wifi is disconnected.

I have removed all of the Intel drivers and Win 10 has loaded up a Microsoft version from June this year. I have a feeling it is something to do with Win 10 itself rather than either of the two NICs, anyway, I will keep an eye on it as the Intel is at 1.0GBp and hasn't disconnected yet after 10 minutes.

Thanks for you input, I will see if it holds out like this.

As long as you are absolutely sure your LAN cables are good then I suggest you follow the path you are on. You are right not to trust what Win10 has done. It can be a driver nightmare for some motherboards.

Try and keep what you have enabled to a minimum until you get some stability.

2 minutes ago, maxpower said:

As long as you are absolutely sure your LAN cables are good then I suggest you follow the path you are on. You are right not to trust what Win10 has done. It can be a driver nightmare for some motherboards.

Try and keep what you have enabled to a minimum until you get some stability.

You are not kidding regarding Win 10! This Motherboard has been rock solid on Win 7x64 and Win 8.1 too, now there are barely any ASUS drivers available for Win 10, any that are available appear to be unsigned!

I will do as you say though and see how it goes, it is up to 22 minutes now without a disconnect! Cheers for your help.

disable wifi and the weaker NIC,  then see what happens.

_ Ah, i see that didnt work.its all after the fact but

perhaps disable wifi and weaker nic and remove the stronger one altogether restart and reinstall, preferably with the latest driver.

it sounds like you are on the right track, but hard to say without being at the machine.

Edited by HooHaa

I'd suggest you boot with Live CD (one that has supported drivers for your LAN connection) and see how long that will stay connected to your router/Internet.

It really sounds like a Windows10 driver or subsystem issue.  I usually though in the towel after 2 hours and reload the OS from scratch and test the new install.

I also don't trust Microsoft-delivered drivers. Always get and install drivers from the manufacturers website whether that's the PC manufacturer, motherboard maker, or chipset producer. Windows 10 can still be fickle, especially if all you have are Win8/8.1 drivers. 

Well, it actually looks like I have found what the damn problem is!

Would you believe it? It looks like the damn CAT6 Cables I bought from E-bay are JUNK!

I managed to update my drivers with the latest Intel version and that allowed me to reset the LAN to a "virgin" state and it at first seemed to be working well.

I then decided to remove the cable from the no longer used Realtek port. I just happened to notice the Intel LAN connection started going crazy, disconnecting and reconnecting almost every second, whenever my hand even got near to one of the two flat CAT6 cables.

So I just started touching the Intel cable while it was plugged in and it was going crazy!

I pulled the two CAT 6 cables and plugged in a known good CAT5E that I used in the past and the damn thing has been stable now without a disconnect for over one hour! (I am touching some wood as I type)

I guess CAT 5 E can run 1Gbps as it seems to be fine at the moment, I will keep an eye on it though. I am going to let it run for a few hours to make sure it is stable then I am going to plug in, one at a time, the CAT6 cables from Ebay and see what happens.

Funny thing though, I originally bought CAT 6 as I was having problems getting 1.0Gbps from CAT 5E, they used to run at 100Mbps. I used the Intel diagnostics tool built in to the LAN software and it passed all of the CAT 6 cables, they passed everything. Now when I run the test again after reinstalling the Intel drivers today, they fail on the Cable / Frequency test! Do these things degrade over time? Who knows, but a lesson learned - DO NOT BUY CHEAP CABLES FROM EBAY IN FUTURE!

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions, it has been a bit of a road to discovery.

"Flat" CAT 6 cables?  If they are truly the 'flat' ribbon design I wouldn't trust those over 1 meter.

Whenever it comes to device cables, it's always "Buyer Beware !!" Whether they be power extension strips, USB charge, or Ethernet cabling.

58 minutes ago, RichCor said:

"Flat" CAT 6 cables?  If they are truly the 'flat' ribbon design I wouldn't trust those over 1 meter.

Whenever it comes to device cables, it's always "Buyer Beware !!" Whether they be power extension strips, USB charge, or Ethernet cabling.

Well, I live and learn!

They are actually 10metre flat cables, it even has CAT6 stamped on the insulation. Who would have thought that Ebay would dare to sell junk!

I have had difficulties in getting decent network cables here. Big C used to sell some decent CAT 5E cables, but they have now disappeared from their stock.

Next time I will buy branded cables and pay the going rate!

My LAN has remained connected now for almost 3 HOURS! First time in weeks!

With any runs over a few meters I tend to make up my own cables using a spool of CAT-specific cabling and a good set of wire crimpers and connectors. 

Having actual copper-core cabling seems to be a difficult thing to verify here in Asia.

29 minutes ago, RichCor said:

With any runs over a few meters I tend to make up my own cables using a spool of CAT-specific cabling and a good set of wire crimpers and connectors. 

Having actual copper-core cabling seems to be a difficult thing to verify here in Asia.

I used to crimp and make my own 40GHz RF cables for work, checked and verified for return loss reflection etc.....Sadly my eyes are not what they used to be (Cannot thread a needle these days - I used to do some pretty neat soldering on 0402 smd under a microscope but that has come to a sad end )so I have to rely on a third party.....who in this instance have obviously let me down! (Maybe I can send you an order for a pair of CAT 6 's + postage? What would you charge for 2 x 10M runs? (3 hours 11 minutes and the connection hasn't fluttered!)

Edited by Generalchaos

Yes, I Know! I honestly thought that the cables were good. I bought CAT 6 thinking they would be A1, however it looks like I bought some junk!

Cat5E are running better than these CAT6 junk. (Yes they were from Shenzhen too!)

I would not have really been too bothered about random disconnects, but the problem was really screwing up my Plex Server, as soon as you went to watch a movie remotely, the damn thing would disconnect and the movie would be toast!

Edited by Generalchaos

I generally make my own ethernet cables and I also have a cable tester which just confirms each wire in the cable is connected and in the right order.  But a few months ago I got lazy and ordered a set of 6 short (and cheap) Cat 5e ethernet cables off Ebay.    3 of the 6 cables were totally defective (1 of the 8 wires composing the cable was not even connected on one connector end)  and 1 of the remaining 3 cable was intermittent according to my cable tester and actual hookup between a router and my computer.   I got a refund on the cables.

Before throwing all 6 cables in the trash I cut open the a couple of cables and they were using very, very, very light duty gauge wire....about the diameter of a hair.    

And I have since pulled out some of the quality Cat 5e cable I had in stock and made me a couple of short cables for a specific use.   Yea, I just got lazy one day because this set of cables was so cheap....looked good in the Ebay ad....but the cables were crap in real life.