Bank sent wrong funds

10 hours ago, supersomchai said:

Nationwide now accept full responsibility and said they will refund all the exchange rate losses I have incurred (nice of them).

problem is the thai bank cant send the funds back (they are sitting in my thai bank now)until I authorize them in writing which I will have to do in person I think ?

So ill have to wait till I go back to Thailand and send the money back to the uk  and get someone to send them back to Thailand while iam there.???

what a headache.

Sounds like a result to me. It's understandable that the local bank want written authorisation to send it back.

Once you have sent it back from here you can arrange to send the money for a second time from the UK online: you dont have to be in the UK to do it. Though I would expect Nationwide to sort all that out for you as they have accepted that they got it wrong the first time.

3 hours ago, Ulic said:

Slightly off topic, but does this mean a Thai bank can issue a FET on US/Foreign cash that is

brought physically into the country ? 

Yes, with a customs declaration as mentioned.

I think that most banks will charge an extra 1% fee for dealing with foreign cash in that way, though that may be negotiable if you are converting to THB.

6 hours ago, Ulic said:

Slightly off topic, but does this mean a Thai bank can issue a FET on US/Foreign cash that is

brought physically into the country ? 

If the amount was over USD 20,000 it needed to be reported to customs.

The bank may require you to put the cash into a foreign currency account and exchange it from there.