West Ham Thread

EastSaxCol

As a former supporter of certain Northern and East Anglia teams (before moving to London in my twenties), I have to say that I always liked West Ham and Spurs. They played attractive football and you could usually beat themtongue.png

Arsenal and Chelsea on the other hand!

^"Northern and East Anglia teams"

I'm hoping you don't mean ManU. I'm guessing Liverpool, Carlisle and Ipswich.

Claim to fame: Just watching a programme on Foxsports which mentioned that Arsenal's Emirates Stadium is the 3rd and WHU's Olympic Stadium THE most expensive football stadium in the world.

Obviously not referring to the rent!

Thanks Boris et al..!

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone explain the bottom photo please. Is the lower terracing being built temporarily (allowing removal and reinstatement of the seating whenever required) on top of the running track?

At the City's commonwealth stadium conversion, there were 2 terrace levels down to the pitch/running track level. After the games finished, the internal ground/pitch level was dugout/lowered to make way for a 3rd and the lowest level of additional tier of seating, 'on terracing already constructed then buried for the original configuration' (interesting construction method).

Can anyone explain.

I dunno but the jealously levels are increasing.

Especially from the spuds.

A shame.

Looking forward to the live game against Juventus on Sunday.

Will then be able to see what it really looks like.

Edited by Eclipse

I went today and sat in my season ticket seat. I hate it.

I'm about 3 times further away than I was, but paying the same. Practically need bottled oxygen to make it up the stairs to my seat.

I have a clear enough view, but the pitch appears about 2 hand spans at arms length long. At the front of the stand, it looked ok, but I somehow bought a seat 2nd row from the back.

On 8/5/2016 at 10:44 PM, Eclipse said:

Well lad's, looks like it's going to be a long old slog for you this season, probably best to stop thinking about Top 6 and start thinking about avoiding relegation, at least  the ground should fit in nicely in the Championship :D

It would be ok for a cup final when you are just glad to get in.

At this place, I can barely see the ball, let alone recognise the players. After paying £800 for what I consider a restricted view seat, I feel let down.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 7:05 PM, tw25rw said:

It would be ok for a cup final when you are just glad to get in.

At this place, I can barely see the ball, let alone recognise the players. After paying £800 for what I consider a restricted view seat, I feel let down.

Is that you Cheeze?

You are going to suffer from New Ground Syndrome. Many have had to go through it and more will be suffering in the near future (Spurs and Chelsea). You will have to suck it up and just realise "fings 'aint wot they used to be". This is the 21st Century and whilst we can all yearn for standing on the terraces close to the action, those days are gone (for better or worse).

4 minutes ago, champers said:

You are going to suffer from New Ground Syndrome. Many have had to go through it and more will be suffering in the near future (Spurs and Chelsea). You will have to suck it up and just realise "fings 'aint wot they used to be". This is the 21st Century and whilst we can all yearn for standing on the terraces close to the action, those days are gone (for better or worse).

Part of New Ground Syndrome is  caused by the stands being so far away from the pitch thus losing some of the atmosphere, i am happy to say that this wont be a problem with the new Spurs Stadium :P

Well, Alfie, if your capacity has increased from 35K to 58K it follows that an awful lot of people are going to be much further from the action than they were at the old ground. Spurs will not be immune. Playing CL games at Wembley this season hardly helps.

25 minutes ago, champers said:

Well, Alfie, if your capacity has increased from 35K to 58K it follows that an awful lot of people are going to be much further from the action than they were at the old ground. Spurs will not be immune. Playing CL games at Wembley this season hardly helps.

It's actually been increased to 61K

Well of course they are  :facepalm:not unless they have people sitting on each others lap's :D but my point was that the stand's are not going to be too far from the pitch like at some stadium's.

Distance from front wall to goal line - Arsenal 13.5m West Ham 16.5m New Spurs Stadium South 4.98m, North 7.97m

Yes playing at Wembley will take some getting use to but hopefully the extra 52K people will help !

1 hour ago, smokie36 said:

Seats in the ground - 60k

Permitted to sell - 57k

Eventually, we will have capacity of 66k when we have the right permits.

Plus it's holiday season, so some people, like the season ticket holders in front of me, were not present.

Just the Sun troublemaking.

Warming to it a bit, but I'm still further away than I want to be. Plenty of grumbles about it though.

Atmosphere is a bit weird because of the big space. Upton Park was better. Toilets and food/drink outlets are better, but all on ground level, about 200 steps down and the same back.

I read the away fans weren't happy than they were split over 2 levels, but that the view was ok. Crowd control hasn't really been thought out and there's no segregation except for the actual seats. They'll need to sort that out before the 1st derby or visit from a big northern club.

To get to the ground, I go by DLR to Pudding Mill Lane, which is in a kind of wasteland. Reminds me a bit of the walk to Millwall's old ground. I went back through Stratford station and it was a sea of people. They do their best to separate the football crowd from the shopping crowd, but even in Westfield they had crowd control measures set up.

So to me, it all looks big and impressive, but doesn't feel like home yet.

• Like 2