West Ham Thread

EastSaxCol

Personally I was happy to see our much depleted side match and possibly out play one of the so called cream sides.

We lost to a clearly off side goal.

As for the fans , we have always been the best supported team in London. To be fair Chelsea have always been better supported than a couple of North London Teams I could mention.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't disagree with this:

The West Ham fans might not care for Chelsea, but Alan Curbishley and his team gave them a little too much respect. 'West Ham just came here to defend,' said Avram Grant, a little harshly.... The visitors created chances to win before Chelsea scored, but did not have the players on the pitch to accept them.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Observer_Ma...2220473,00.html

Personally I was happy to see our much depleted side match and possibly out play one of the so called cream sides.

We lost to a clearly off side goal.

As for the fans , we have always been the best supported team in London. To be fair Chelsea have always been better supported than a couple of North London Teams I could mention.

To be fair I think Tottenham (and Arsenal) are better supported than Chelsea, their gates have never dipped as badly as Chelsea's during the Bates era, when their gates were often below 10, 0000. Some of the recent low attendences could be down to the price of the tickets. I understood that WHU supporters had to pay 49 pounds yesterday. A few of the old school Chelsea are starting to watch non-league sides like Hendon which have a better atmosphere and not full of glory hunting tourists.

:o

To be fair I think Tottenham (and Arsenal) are better supported than Chelsea, their gates have never dipped as badly as Chelsea's during the Bates era, when their gates were often below 10, 0000.

There was a time that Chelsea did have a passionate support - albeit, often the wrong sort of passion. But it was there in 60's 70's and 80's. But now, let's face it, they're a standing (well, sitting down) joke. But to be honest they always did attract their fair share of Sloane luvvies as well.

A few of the old school Chelsea are starting to watch non-league sides like Hendon which have a better atmosphere and not full of glory hunting tourists.

Yes, that's true. A lot of the old Chelsea have been priced out of the game. I remember one of their stewards telling me that was the only way that he could afford to watch games at Stamford Bridge nowadays. I think that Chelsington are the only club to have scrapped concessionary prices for disabled suppporters as well. Nice. :o

Hey HH, we've drawn you in the FA Cup at your gaff. I was hoping for a btter draw than that personally.

I know mate. My first thought was 2-0 to us. :o

But the last time we met at your gaff, it was 2-0 to us :D

Yes , but the last time we played you in the Cup we won 2-1 away. :D

Hey HH, we've drawn you in the FA Cup at your gaff. I was hoping for a btter draw than that personally.

I know mate. My first thought was 2-0 to us. :o

But the last time we met at your gaff, it was 2-0 to us :D

Yes but the month that game was played in, didn't end in "uary" :D

But the last time we met at your gaff, it was 2-0 to us :o

Yes but the month that game was played in, didn't end in "uary" :D

All I can say is that it has all the makings of a corking match. And one which I'm unusually confident about - although the draw isn't completely outside the realms of possibility either.

:D

A recent 'indepndent poll of 1,000 respondents seems to adequately gauge the publics realism.

Do You Think West Ham Will Finish Above Spurs ?

It Will Be A Close Thing

26%

Yes

64%

No

10%

A similar poll amongst West Ham supporters overwhelmingly suggests that selling Bobby Zamora in January would be plain idiotic. But we all know that tabloid fantasies are best reserved for page 3 and not worth serious consideration. I hope.

Finally, after last weeks performance, a result at Blackburn isn't too far a removed prediction.

But I'd take the draw and anything more is icing on the cake.

A recent 'indepndent poll of 1,000 respondents seems to adequately gauge the publics realism.

Do You Think West Ham Will Finish Above Spurs ?

It Will Be A Close Thing

26%

Yes

64%

No

10%

A similar poll amongst West Ham supporters overwhelmingly suggests that selling Bobby Zamora in January would be plain idiotic. But we all know that tabloid fantasies are best reserved for page 3 and not worth serious consideration. I hope.

Finally, after last weeks performance, a result at Blackburn isn't too far a removed prediction.

But I'd take the draw and anything more is icing on the cake.

l really hope your right about Zamora losing him would be a massive blow. Had he been fit this season we would be higher up the table for sure.

Few bods coming back for Sunday so with a bit of luck we will be back to winning ways.

Blackburn 0 - 1 lrons

Surely Ashton must be in line for a start Wednesday against Everton, what a difference he makes half fit.

Lucas Neill was lucky today, lost count of the amount times he got caught out of position, when is he going to learn ???

Blackburn 0 - 1 lrons

Surely Ashton must be in line for a start Wednesday against Everton, what a difference he makes half fit.

Lucas Neill was lucky today, lost count of the amount times he got caught out of position, when is he going to learn ???

I thought Blackburn were almost as poor as Derby in the first half and we could have taken the game by the scruff , if we had taken the initiative but we sat back and let them misplace passes in front of us. Then we'd give it back , usually from Scott Parker. However things improved with Dean Ashton coming on. Agree with you about Lucas Neil but his attitude is always positive and he felt he could take liberties with his fellow Australian . Matty had another quiet game, maybe injured? I think Dean will get another burst in the QF against Everton but he's still coming back so he might not start. I think Freddie Limpberg should come on as well, he definitely owes the club. Anyway it's all a long way from this time last year when some of us were getting ready for Colchester. :o

Got to say , as with Chelski we don't really have the players on the pitch to take advantage of piss poor opposition at the moment. :D

A draw would have been ok as there wasn't too much difference with either side - except we scored and they didn't. :o

But last season we would have got beat. This season there's a definate air of confidence about the team - Aston obviously should start and we do need a holding mid-fielder, imo. What bothers me , is despite Bellamy being able to make a difference (as with Freddie and Dyer) to some extent, I'm just not sure that he isn't injury prone forever and a day. That's one good reason not to sell Zamora until we sign someone of a class above.

Got to say , as with Chelski we don't really have the players on the pitch to take advantage of piss poor opposition at the moment. :D

A draw would have been ok as there wasn't too much difference with either side - except we scored and they didn't. :o

But last season we would have got beat. This season there's a definate air of confidence about the team - Aston obviously should start and we do need a holding mid-fielder, imo. What bothers me , is despite Bellamy being able to make a difference (as with Freddie and Dyer) to some extent, I'm just not sure that he isn't injury prone forever and a day. That's one good reason not to sell Zamora until we sign someone of a class above.

Agree with you about not taking advantage of the opposition. I think Curbs is still traumatised from last season and is still cautious about commiting players up front :D . As for the holding mid-fielder, we've got two I would stick with Mullins-no nonense, does it simple footballer, Scott-Parker I'm more sceptical. He breaks the play up well but his passing was rubbish for most of the game and doesn't seem to be on the same wavelength as his team mates. I hope he keeps Bobby Zamora, as well, while Camara can have his wages paid by Whelan and go back to Wig. Interesting to see Reo-Coker at the weekend, made me think it was a good decision to sell. He seems too small to be top class and was getting outhustled by the Portsmouth midfield. Anyway back to the future; the QF's in the league cup, are coming up but Thai TV aren't showing the WHU?Everton game. Can see a fourth penalty save coming up in extra-time :D but I'd like to see Mark Noble have a run out as well.

Blackburn 0 - 1 lrons

I thought Blackburn were almost as poor as Derby in the first half and we could have taken the game by the scruff , if we had taken the initiative but we sat back and let them misplace passes in front of us. Then we'd give it back , usually from Scott Parker. However things improved with Dean Ashton coming on. Agree with you about Lucas Neil but his attitude is always positive and he felt he could take liberties with his fellow Australian . Matty had another quiet game, maybe injured? I think Dean will get another burst in the QF against Everton but he's still coming back so he might not start. I think Freddie Limpberg should come on as well, he definitely owes the club. Anyway it's all a long way from this time last year when some of us were getting ready for Colchester. :o

You're right about Neill he did fancy is chances coming forward yesterday, and he does have attacking qualities, but the problem is he gets stranded and does'nt have the legs to get back. Personally l'm not a big fan of his but recently he's had some great performances, but he has to do his ' bread and butter ' and defend. Mcartney is blinding coming forward and he does'nt get caught at the back, so lets hope Neill and take a leaf out of Georges book.

You're 100% about Freddy, £60,000 a week for what? Amazing how he's up for the Sweden games, but what's he done for us ???????

The problem is the team he's been putting out has been scraping results, but we never look like scoring too many goals ( except Derby ), Carlton Cole has tryed 110% but the limitations are there for everyone to see, until Deano came on yesterday we did'nt look like getting anything, but l think we are going in the right direction :D

Well what a crap week for the Hammers, really thought we would have got something out of the 2 games, same old story Saturday dominate the opening 45 minutes and don't take advantage.

On the plus side Scotty Parker is playing well at the moment, just pray he does'nt get injured.

Ljungberg is out for 2 weeks today, seems he's had another migrane and it takes him 2 weeks to recover. Surely when we signed him the club must have been aware of this problem, so it begs the question why did we sign him ??? There's no doubting he was world-class a few years ago ............ but now what ?? He must be on £45,000 plus a week, and for what to warm the bench !!

Found it quite suprising to see Magnusson leave this week, thought he was in it for the long haul, maybe Gudmundsson has realised investing money in West Ham won't keep him in the worlds top 800 rich list for long ?? He said in an interview this week " the new stadium was the focus now " but l think sorting the team should be the main objective. :o

Well what a crap week for the Hammers, really thought we would have got something out of the 2 games, same old story Saturday dominate the opening 45 minutes and don't take advantage.

On the plus side Scotty Parker is playing well at the moment, just pray he does'nt get injured.

Ljungberg is out for 2 weeks today, seems he's had another migrane and it takes him 2 weeks to recover. Surely when we signed him the club must have been aware of this problem, so it begs the question why did we sign him ??? There's no doubting he was world-class a few years ago ............ but now what ?? He must be on £45,000 plus a week, and for what to warm the bench !!

Found it quite suprising to see Magnusson leave this week, thought he was in it for the long haul, maybe Gudmundsson has realised investing money in West Ham won't keep him in the worlds top 800 rich list for long ?? He said in an interview this week " the new stadium was the focus now " but l think sorting the team should be the main objective. :o

Not great but there were flashes of enterprising play in the first half. We looked poor in the second but Everton are a well organised side etc. Nevertheless it's a long way from this time last year and I'll be happy with mid-table and then start building some foundations for a push next year. It's going to take time :D A long time ! :D

Not great but there were flashes of enterprising play in the first half. We looked poor in the second but Everton are a well organised side etc. Nevertheless it's a long way from this time last year and I'll be happy with mid-table and then start building some foundations for a push next year. It's going to take time :D A long time ! :D

As I said last week we need a mid-fielder, although I thought a holding player, in fact we miss the flair of Benayoun. So a creative mid-fielder should be the priority come January. We are just too workmanlike without much flair. In this respect Ljungberg has been a disappointment, as he used to have a bit of it at the Arse :D

I reckon that it's time to recall Tevez from his extended loan as well. :D

Not great but there were flashes of enterprising play in the first half. We looked poor in the second but Everton are a well organised side etc. Nevertheless it's a long way from this time last year and I'll be happy with mid-table and then start building some foundations for a push next year. It's going to take time :bah: A long time ! :D

As I said last week we need a mid-fielder, although I thought a holding player, in fact we miss the flair of Benayoun. So a creative mid-fielder should be the priority come January. We are just too workmanlike without much flair. In this respect Ljungberg has been a disappointment, as he used to have a bit of it at the Arse :D

I reckon that it's time to recall Tevez from his extended loan as well. :bah:

Have to agree about the lack of creativity but now that a few are coming back form the 'treatment room'?? we won't have to play so many long balls to Carlton Cole. I think Mark Noble could develop into this role but Freddie injuredberg is the better short term bet, once he gets over his migrane :D . The only other creative person we've got is Russel Brand. :o As for Tevez why not loan him to Sheffield Utd it would be cheaper , for them, than the money they have been paying for their legal team. :D

Was down out Chadwell Heath this week and saw Faubert training, he can't be that far away from a return.

Looks like we are getting the boy Barnes from Derby, scored a good goal last week by all accounts, is that Bobby Barnes son by any chance ??

Xmas day l thought would be a good day to reflect on the season, have to say l was never a Curbishley fan but you can't knock the job he has done under difficult circumstances this term. When we have Bellamy, Dyer and Faubert back l think we will become a force again, although l'm not sure if Europe is unrealistic for this season.

Keep up the good work :o:D

Reckon we could nick a point off you tomorrow.....4 games undefeated now.

PS.... thanks for doing Boro!!

It's been a strange season with so many players coming in and out of the side but doing well despite many being played out of position. As for this game- if Dean Ashton can keep his paws away from the mince pies and brandy- we should knock in a goal or two. We looked pretty comfortable against Boro but we are a different side away. However it's about time we turned it around at home but like a box of foreign chocolates you never know what you're going to get with the Hammers. Seasons greetings to all and Come on you Irons!!! :o

Was down out Chadwell Heath this week and saw Faubert training, he can't be that far away from a return.

Looks like we are getting the boy Barnes from Derby, scored a good goal last week by all accounts, is that Bobby Barnes son by any chance ??

Xmas day l thought would be a good day to reflect on the season, have to say l was never a Curbishley fan but you can't knock the job he has done under difficult circumstances this term. When we have Bellamy, Dyer and Faubert back l think we will become a force again, although l'm not sure if Europe is unrealistic for this season.

Keep up the good work :D:D

Bobby Barnes eh, now there's a name that brings back season 80-81 when he was about to break into the big time but whatever happened to him? Was he injured? Maybe you're right he was put out to stud to produce gifted footballers of the future :o Happy Hammermas and a rip roaring Come on you Irons of a New Year! PS Good news about Faubert too

Bobby Barnes eh, now there's a name that brings back season 80-81 when he was about to break into the big time but whatever happened to him? Was he injured? Maybe you're right he was put out to stud to produce gifted footballers of the future :o Happy Hammermas and a rip roaring Come on you Irons of a New Year! PS Good news about Faubert too

I think he ended up at Aldershot if I'm not mistaken.

The silence after yesterday's result is deafening...especially after the crowing at the Mad Stad win :o

No comment from HH or Keddy?

I heard that out of all the games we had played against each other throughout history Reading are edging it ...and still are :D

Reckon we could nick a point off you tomorrow.....4 games undefeated now.

PS.... thanks for doing Boro!!

It's been a strange season with so many players coming in and out of the side but doing well despite many being played out of position. As for this game- if Dean Ashton can keep his paws away from the mince pies and brandy- we should knock in a goal or two. We looked pretty comfortable against Boro but we are a different side away. However it's about time we turned it around at home but like a box of foreign chocolates you never know what you're going to get with the Hammers. Seasons greetings to all and Come on you Irons!!! :D

Was it just my dodgy mince pies or had Dean Ashton put on weight from the Boro to Reading games, he looked completely off the pace yesterday.

Parker was the only postive to take out of the game, trying to think when was the last time West Ham performed well on Boxing day ??

Anyone fancy a result Saturday ?? Tevez to score an own-goal ?? :o

Archived