Blocking the road to save parking spaces is illegal, says online lawyer

webfact

Blocking the road to save parking spaces is illegal, says online lawyer

a2.jpg

Picture: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- It is a common sight in Thai cities and towns - people putting out objects - often chairs - on the road to save parking spaces in front of their property.

But a well known online lawyer has said that the practice is against the law.

And it can easily result in a fine of up to 10,000 baht.

Daily News Online followed up on a story that was doing the rounds of social media after Ronnarong Kaewphet - writing on his @Thanai Khu Jai page - commented on the issue, reports Daily News.

He warned the public that putting out chairs or stools to save parking spaces was considered as blocking the public highway.

According to article 19 of a 1992 ordinance that can mean a fine of up to 10,000 baht.

Anyone can report the matter to the local authority for action.

If the problem is one of access to a property a case can be made to prohibit parking in a certain area but blocking the road is a no-no.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-12-09

There's a furniture shop by us (centre of quite a prominent town) that commandeers the entire pavement (about 4m wide) and the road space for its trucks during the day. They work on the pavement putting the bits together, whereby it's sometimes impossible to squeeze past. I would like to see someone tell them they cannot conduct their business in such a fashion, not because it irks me; more for the amusement value.

You can do as you please in Thailand, the police is nowhere to be seen or busy with their own things.

There are no rules, there's no law, there's no safety or taking care of others. It's albout me me me.

I also see them parking on the middle of roads to go into the 711 while there's plenty of empty parkinglots 10 metre away.

Try doing something about it, involving the police or not. I wouldn't park any vehicle of mine there. It would get scratched, or dented, or worse for sure. Nobody who puts stools out to reserve the parking space is going to like revocation of that "privilege."

It's a braver man than me who tells Somchai he must move the cones and stools from the road outside his shop!

The shop owners tend not to be "Somchais", but they are happy to hire a few to give you an attitude adjustment if you park in "their" space.

Could be a new source of "income" for the extortion patrol... But they would have to do a bit more work than just waving over vehicles. But with a potential 10k fine hanging, the bribery reward is a lot sweeter. 

50 minutes ago, fruitman said:

There are no rules, there's no law, there's no safety or taking care of others. It's albout me me me.

I also see them parking on the middle of roads to go into the 711 while there's plenty of empty parkinglots 10 metre away.

Cant argue with any of that. I've never visited a country anywhere where the people are more self-centred and inconsiderate on roads, and that seems to permeate through all aspects of life.

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

You can do as you please in Thailand, the police is nowhere to be seen or busy with their own things.

Ten meters? OMG .... that's way to far for any Thai to walk. GEEZEEEEEEEE What's next? Parallel parking? 

Just now, selftaopath said:

Ten meters? OMG .... that's way to far for any Thai to walk. GEEZEEEEEEEE What's next? Parallel parking? 

No me au klab, i park on road....mai pen laai sabaai sabaai.  They won't dare to horn or i will show my gun. Me gangsta klab.

Parked on a side street in Hua Hin last year....no markings, just a Tuk Tuk driver shelter about 10 metres away. came back and a Tuk Tuk is parked close to my front bumper. Reversed back and drove home.....Next morning, flat rear tyre......take to shop and he removed a 4 inch screwdriver blade minus the plastic handle. Obviously jammed under my rear wheel and forced me to reverse onto it.....what do you do.......A few days later went back and parked right next to the shelter, then happily sat in the car for an hour doing the Telegraph crossword while Mrs. AB went about her business.......It was worth it just to see the annoyance on Somchai's face......:biggrin:

Just another example of stealing public land. Army did a good job especially in Bangkok of clearing the foot paths yet a lot of posters got upset about it but why would anyone feel sorry for these greedy grubs?

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Just another example of stealing public land. Army did a good job especially in Bangkok of clearing the foot paths yet a lot of posters got upset about it but why would anyone feel sorry for these greedy grubs?

Clearing the footpath is good. What is bad is that they don't have a plan to re-locate the vendors. All done in a rush and uncoordinated way. I know of few families whose only source of income was discontinued abruptly. They understand the policy and willing to move but given no alternative place to work and no time to re-organize.   

Clearing the footpath is good. What is bad is that they don't have a plan to re-locate the vendors. All done in a rush and uncoordinated way. I know of few families whose only source of income was discontinued abruptly. They understand the policy and willing to move but given no alternative place to work and no time to re-organize.   

Prayuth in his statement said the government would help them relocate. My understanding is that many were relocated. I remember reading it but it was a while ago

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

Cant argue with any of that. I've never visited a country anywhere where the people are more self-centred and inconsiderate on roads, and that seems to permeate through all aspects of life.

It's a very narcissistic society.

50 minutes ago, madmitch said:

So, if you use a couple of taxed and licensed motorcycles to reserve the spot, as is quite common around here, I assume you would be deemed as acting within the law.

Exactly what they are doing in Pattaya at the long distance bus stop on 3rd Road up from the TOT building at Klang

Went to pick up my GF from the bus station the other day and a long line of motorcycle were parked in a way so that it was impossible to park a car between them.  Fortunately after picking her up I wanted to to go back to Tai so I made a U-turn and parked on the opposite side of the road so I was able to see the Moto guys moving the bikes when a bus came in 

Edited by Langsuan Man