Pattaya Tunnel undergoes initial test

Rimmer

Pattaya Tunnel undergoes initial test

Pattaya Mail reporter gets an exclusive look into the tunnel during its brief opening

PATTAYA:--Pattaya tunnel opens temporarily while contractors move large steel girders

On Tuesday the 6th of December local residents were surprised to find the long and ongoing tunnel project open for use, but little did they know that it was only open temporarily to deal with traffic flow while contractors were moving steel girders around above ground.

Mr. Tithiwat Anurithikul, head of operations and construction for the Pattaya Tunnel project revealed to reporters that they contacted the traffic police to re-direct traffic to use the tunnel while they moved large steel girders in preparation for the for large directional signs.

This was done as a safety precaution since heavy machinery were in operation, it was not intended as a test run as it was only open for about four hours before the girders were moved and the tunnel was shut again.

Read more:http://www.pattayamail.com/featured/pattaya-tunnel-undergoes-initial-test-157526

PATTAYA MAIL 2016-12-09

3 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

What Pattaya really needs is a highway construction project aimed at making the transition from Pattaya City over to The Dark Side possible WITHOUT having to travel on this heavily trafficked and dangerous stretch of Sukhumvit Road. Wishful thinking perhaps, ho hum !

Amen, brother. Let's all sing Hallelujah and praise the overpass, or pass the overpraise. The first one should be at that utter shambles at Thepprasit-Sukhumvit-Khao Talo. 

6 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Let's hope the directional signs are placed well before the tunnel and not after it. It would make a welcome change. :smile:

Stop your complaining. At least you will know how to access the tunnel the next time. Unless your like me I usually need three trips.

12 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Let's hope the directional signs are placed well before the tunnel and not after it. It would make a welcome change. :smile:

Signals?  Might be useful in many countries but from what I have seen in my dozen trips to Thailand an awful lot of Thais won't pay attention to them

6 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

What Pattaya really needs is a highway construction project aimed at making the transition from Pattaya City over to The Dark Side possible WITHOUT having to travel on this heavily trafficked and dangerous stretch of Sukhumvit Road. Wishful thinking perhaps, ho hum !

never the DS is irrelevant

7 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Amen, brother. Let's all sing Hallelujah and praise the overpass, or pass the overpraise. The first one should be at that utter shambles at Thepprasit-Sukhumvit-Khao Talo. 

A mega-roundabout would sort that one out.  It works in other countries why not here?

7 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

7 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

As far as I'm aware there will be 2 more tunnels, the first one at Pattaya Tai section and the second one at Thepprasit section.

What I can see so far looks as if there will be roundabouts at the Pattaya Klang section and SSCC section, which should make crossing from Klang to the dark side a non-issue.

If the other 2 tunnels are constructed I assume they will have similar round about on the top.

17 hours ago, WhizBang said:

I don't know what it is they are doing there, but the road surface in the area is an absolute mess now.

For those who often head North on their bikes, up the motorway ramp perhaps to get onto the railway line bypass it is particularly bad. Perhaps go to Nua and U-turn.

9 hours ago, sandmike said:

Unfortunately the scuba gear will have a long wait to get wet ... the tunnel is at the top of a hill ...

But Thai water different - flow uphill!

Judging by the way the drains are situated in my village, it must be so!

15 hours ago, oldrunner said:

It would appear to be proposed as one lane in each direction...great unless some fender bender or truck dumps it's load. Well, here's hoping all potential tragedies have been considered as Thai engineers always do.

No, doesn't appear so. Anyway, accidents, many of which tragic for somebody, can easily occur w/ multiple lanes, as they do everywhere sometimes all over the world. You'll note that the Sierra tunnel in Switzerland (Swiss engineers!) has 2 lanes in each direction but that didn't prevent the Sierra coach disaster and of course lane closing. Whoops. In addition, our ace TVF urban planners would further decry the cost of more lanes, as they all insisted on the superiority of an overpass.

But the point has been made that you have superior engineering skills to the stupid Thais even while miscounting the number of lanes. Well done.

Edited by JSixpack

17 hours ago, KhunKenAP said:

Will someone let us know when it passes the raining season test? If you will do the testing please wear SCUBA gear.

Such astonishing creativity is the best way quickly to win applause and establish forum cred. You're going to go far here.

Edited by JSixpack

23 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

We love school marming here but surely most of our members can figure out for themselves that if they want to turn on Pattaya Klang or on Sois 53-59 then they shouldn't drive into the tunnel. I do think most Thais can. And further that they shouldn't drive on the wrong side of the road into the tunnel. But cue the jokes.

• 1 month later...

Yes very quiet  on this project...I'm sure there will be a big "fanfare" when it does finally open.

Here it says that the tunnel will be open  in time for the Songkran festival "for sure"

and that a new project to put electric cables underground on Central road from Sukhumvit to third road junction will start 1st of March taking

290 days to complete  :w00t:

On 09/12/2016 at 11:13 PM, SimpleChap said:

What I can see so far looks as if there will be roundabouts at the Pattaya Klang section and SSCC section, which should make crossing from Klang to the dark side a non-issue.

Theoretically yes. Unfortunately Thai drivers are unable to manage roundabouts in any rule-based fashion. It is a genetic thing, probably a recessive gene, and it is nationwide.