Bank foreclosing on gf's house?

undurraga

Recently visited Thai gf and she said that she told me that she needs ~200,000.00 baht to keep the bank from foreclosing on "our" house.  I'm having a hard time believing her.  If (and that is a pretty big if in my opinion) she does owe a bank money on the house then it was probably have for a loan where she used the house for collateral because, as far as I know, the house was already paid off.  How aggressively do Thai banks go after homes used as collateral for loans?  Is this a common "sick buffalo" scam or is she just getting more and more creative?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming it is actually a bank loan. If you're in Thailand it's easy enough to visit the lending bank and get the lowdown. Since it seems you're not here at present there will be associated paperwork and demand letters, ask to see them (emailed scans/photos). Obviously they will be in Thai, you can get them translated ask at a local (preferably Thai) restaurant.

Banks do tend to take a long time to actually foreclose, but since we don't know how aged the debt actually is it's difficult to say what will happen next, or when.

Of course there are other, more shady, lenders out there whose collection techniques are less subtle and whose interest rates are also unsubtle.

And of course, the buffalo could be sick.

If I had 1 baht for every time they ask me for a 'loan' they'd be borrowing that too

Got to hand it to the Thai lasses in this country, they never miss an opportunity

to try to get every penny they can from whom ever, be it a hubby, BF, friend

and anybody with 2 baht in their pocket, and they see absolutely nothing

wrong with it.....

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Assuming it is actually a bank loan. If you're in Thailand it's easy enough to visit the lending bank and get the lowdown. Since it seems you're not here at present there will be associated paperwork and demand letters, ask to see them (emailed scans/photos). Obviously they will be in Thai, you can get them translated ask at a local (preferably Thai) restaurant.

Banks do tend to take a long time to actually foreclose, but since we don't know how aged the debt actually is it's difficult to say what will happen next, or when.

Of course there are other, more shady, lenders out there whose collection techniques are less subtle and whose interest rates are also unsubtle.

And of course, the buffalo could be sick.

Good advice but I don't even know the name of the lending bank and/or loan-shark, and asking her for that info is only going to start a "Why don't you trust me?" conversation.

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

If I had 1 baht for every time they ask me for a 'loan' they'd be borrowing that too

Got to hand it to the Thai lasses in this country, they never miss an opportunity

to try to get every penny they can from whom ever, be it a hubby, BF, friend

and anybody with 2 baht in their pocket, and they see absolutely nothing

wrong with it.....

and they see nothing wrong with not paying it back................thats the real problem.

Friend of 8 years  borrowed money  from my Wife about 5  years ago, 5000 baht, never got it back, suspect never  will

1 hour ago, muzmurray said:

Who paid for the house ? (if she paid - walk away............quickly)

If you, did you take out a lease on the land ? (if you did, then it should not be a "regular" loan)

As far as I know her aunt and I paid for the house.  I paid off the aunt's loan when she ran into "money problems" and my part was cash.  No lease.  I've got no chance of recuperating anything from this.  I did tell her to let the bank have it because I was through for paying off her loans that I was not party to. 

Edited by undurraga

5 minutes ago, undurraga said:

Good advice but I don't even know the name of the lending bank and/or loan-shark, and asking her for that info is only going to start a "Why don't you trust me?" conversation.

if  u havent got the balls  to say "no I dont trust you" then you really should give up with women

6 minutes ago, kannot said:

if  u havent got the balls  to say "no I dont trust you" then you really should give up with women

Thought that telling her to let the bank foreclose because I wasn't going to pay off her "loan" was balls enough.  Regardless, thanks for your input.

That is a chapter in the playbook. No doubt. I would bail. The smaller scams can be tolerable to a degree. But,  200 grand is way to deceitful to overlook.

Shake the tree on this one and there will be old debt where the house was used for collateral and there are loan sharks and not banks circling 

Edited by NickJ
None

29 minutes ago, undurraga said:

Been "with" her 11 years.  Thinking about following your advice and moving on.

11 years and she is still trying to scam you ,this just shows you what kind of women she is she won't stop till she bleeds you dry and then "she will move on "

so I would move on before this happens to you 

if she provides no evidence of letters from the bank of the so called foreclosure then you have your answer what to do.

Edited by paul18620

4 minutes ago, undurraga said:

As far as I know her aunt and I payed for the house.  I paid off the aunt's loan when she ran into "money problems" and my part was cash.  No lease.  I've got no chance of recuperating anything from this.  I did tell her to let the bank have it because I was through for paying off her loans that I was not party to. 

Sounds like you was probably done over with the Aunt and now your going for the g/f's one.

Even if you paid up to keep the house and had a lease drawn up that would not stop your g/f borrowing money again.

The decision you have to make will be pretty obvious to many people familiar with many of the part-time relationships in Thailand.

I have a friend who paid his wife's family thousands of USD because of the "bank wants money" ploy.  He did not review any of the documents or anything, just gave the family members the money.  He still believes his only mistake was marrying a Thai woman whose family had a lot of debt they couldn't pay.  My guess is there was never any debt, only a farang who was fleeced.  Best of luck to the OP.  I know what I would do.

21 minutes ago, NickJ said:

That is a chapter in the playbook. No doubt. I would bail. The smaller scams can be tolerable to a degree. But,  200 grand is way to deceitful to overlook.

Shake the tree on this one and there will be old debt where the house was used for collateral and there are loan sharks and not banks circling 

If there actually was a loan (and not just sick buffalo) this would be my guess too.

9 minutes ago, mesquite said:

I have a friend who paid his wife's family thousands of USD because of the "bank wants money" ploy.  He did not review any of the documents or anything, just gave the family members the money.  He still believes his only mistake was marrying a Thai woman whose family had a lot of debt they couldn't pay.  My guess is there was never any debt, only a farang who was fleeced.  Best of luck to the OP.  I know what I would do.

Thanks for this info.  Looks like I'll be walking.  Can't see how staying with her would work out well for me.

it also shows you why you haven't married this lady either ,as with being with her 11 years thats a long time being together and not get married ,as the Thai lady is in most cases looking to get married to the falang even after a short time together, even in the village I get Thai ladies asking me if I have any friends that are willing to marry them ,and these are older ladies and not nice looking either and they have Thai husband/boyfriend as well ,they just don't care they have no values at all they just see the ATM and need it fast ,and they will never get rid of the husband/boyfriend he will be on the side lines like many have already .

I am sure you know what you have to do in your mind already, best of luck ,just make sure all the knives are locked away when you tell her.

21 minutes ago, paul18620 said:

it also shows you why you haven't married this lady either ,as with being with her 11 years thats a long time being together and not get married ,as the Thai lady is in most cases looking to get married to the falang even after a short time together, even in the village I get Thai ladies asking me if I have any friends that are willing to marry them ,and these are older ladies and not nice looking either and they have Thai husband/boyfriend as well ,they just don't care they have no values at all they just see the ATM and need it fast ,and they will never get rid of the husband/boyfriend he will be on the side lines like many have already .

I am sure you know what you have to do in your mind already, best of luck ,just make sure all the knives are locked away when you tell her.

"...make sure all the knives are locked away when you tell her."   Seriously?

9 minutes ago, undurraga said:

"...make sure all the knives are locked away when you tell her."   Seriously?

I hid the one dangerous knife in my room when I broke up with my gf.  It turned out it was not necessary, but I don't regret it. I did get the keys. She delayed her irrational emotional response for a few days and that was over the phone.  I was lucky.

15 minutes ago, mesquite said:

I hid the one dangerous knife in my room when I broke up with my gf.  It turned out it was not necessary, but I don't regret it. I did get the keys. She delayed her irrational emotional response for a few days and that was over the phone.  I was lucky.

Am planning on retiring to Thailand next year and was hoping to live in "our" house (if the loan sharks haven't already foreclosed on it).  May still do it and play the cheap-charlie thing to see how long "love you forever" lasts in Thailand. 

48 minutes ago, mesquite said:

Yes you was lucky 

as some of us aren't so lucky and only get the drama over the phone like you did, we get it face to face and its scary when they kick off.

Good you understand she is trying to rip you off .

my ex  thai tried that bs on me , saying we were going to go  bankrupt and the worst thing is , she had no loans at all .

but I believe now , she went behind my back and took out loans from the loan sharks and brought land in her name .

and that is why she is my ex thai .

so if you have not put to much in to the home just walk away.

you can get a new one , like I did .