Ouch! Infant stabs herself with a "moo ping" stick after parents leave her alone to eat

rooster59

Ouch! Infant stabs herself with a "moo ping" stick after parents leave her alone to eat

aHR0cDovL3BlMi5pc2Fub29rLmNvbS9ucy8wL3VkLzQyMy8yMTE5MjYyL05ld3MwNC5qcGc=.jpg
Image: Sanook

Social media was sharing a scary picture after an infant girl skewered herself with a stick of BBQ pork.

The girl had been left alone by her parents to eat the snack.

The stick entered the flesh around her eye socket and had to be carefully removed by doctors at Rayong Hospital.

A poster called Ta Am Uthong Uthong said on Facebook that parents should not let young children eat food like this without adequate supervision.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-12-11

I remember getting my head stuck in a saucepan when I was toddler. Had to go to hospital and get it removed. I think the nurse used margarine. Also my brother who was 5 years at the time drunk a whole tin of braso metal polish. He also went to hospital, stomach pumped and was right as rain the next day.

Small kids are difficult to look after and sometimes accidents happen. You can't blame the parents for everything because you can't watch your kids 24/7. Accidents will happen, to most young children. This one is more serious as the child could be blinded for life in one eye. But its not the parents fault. It was just a tragic accident.

12 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

But its not the parents fault. It was just a tragic accident.

I do think that the parents should not have let the child have a sharp object with them , especially when they are using it to eat , its an accident waiting to happen .

Its the parents job to realise dangers and protect their child from those dangers

Small kids are difficult to look after and sometimes accidents happen. You can't blame the parents for everything because you can't watch your kids 24/7.

Everyone's got stories and stuff happens but small kids are not difficult to look after. I totally blame the stupid parents for giving an infant a spike!

1 hour ago, Wilsonandson said:

I remember getting my head stuck in a saucepan when I was toddler. Had to go to hospital and get it removed. I think the nurse used margarine. Also my brother who was 5 years at the time drunk a whole tin of braso metal polish. He also went to hospital, stomach pumped and was right as rain the next day.

Small kids are difficult to look after and sometimes accidents happen. You can't blame the parents for everything because you can't watch your kids 24/7. Accidents will happen, to most young children. This one is more serious as the child could be blinded for life in one eye. But its not the parents fault. It was just a tragic accident.

He did well to drink a full tin of braso it's bloody orible!

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

I do think that the parents should not have let the child have a sharp object with them , especially when they are using it to eat , its an accident waiting to happen .

Its the parents job to realise dangers and protect their child from those dangers

The meat was the distraction for simple minds...

Remove the meat, and the sharp pointy stick would become an obvious danger...

1 hour ago, Wilsonandson said:

Found this picture on Youlike. Seems it's not as bad as it looks.

15338788_1876586472577673_473621801448137456_n.jpg

You can't see enough detail in the picture to make your statement.

In any event it's not OK and, as mentioned by many posters, the parents should have removed the meat from the stick and put the sharp stick out of reach of the child.

What I can't find in the story is whether the parents left her alone in their room and went away from the premises, or perhaps the parents were just temporarily for a moment in another room. 

The child is obviously just a toddler and at this age should be supervised when eating bigger and more solid foods. The parents should have removed the meat and cut it  / broken it into much smaller pieces, otherwise there could easily be choking.

Edited by scorecard

1 hour ago, Hutch68 said:

He did well to drink a full tin of braso it's bloody orible!

2 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

That's as maybe, but he probably turned into a shining example of manhood.

What surprised me was that he managed to polish off the whole tin.

9 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Also my brother who was 5 years at the time drunk a whole tin of braso metal polish. He also went to hospital, stomach pumped and was right as rain the next day.

I suppose he was a shining example after that??.......

I always looked at those sticks as dangerous for children. Even running with one in their hands is cause for concern. Maybe if the vendors clipped the pointy end off after they put the meat on may help. They are sharp.

1 hour ago, Beats56 said:

I always looked at those sticks as dangerous for children. Even running with one in their hands is cause for concern. Maybe if the vendors clipped the pointy end off after they put the meat on may help. They are sharp.

Vendors hope the pointy sticks are being recycled...

On 11-12-2016 at 8:49 AM, Wilsonandson said:

Found this picture on Youlike. Seems it's not as bad as it looks.

15338788_1876586472577673_473621801448137456_n.jpg

Is that all? Just pull it out..sabaai sabaai.

In Sizzlers i saw a toddler with a steakknife, it had big fun with it and almost stab daddy and herself a few times...i said nothing, just let them learn it the Thai way...toddlers shouldn't be in Sizzlers at all.

3 hours ago, Beats56 said:

The streetvendors even have lowhanging umbrella's/roofs with pins sticking out at the height of my eyes.

Or the trafficsigns with supersharp steel corners at 180cm height...

The Thai don't care at all for safety. 

I've always snapped the sharp point before giving the stick to my small boy. Now he's big enough and does it by himself. A couple of times stabbing my tongue while wolfing down the mystery meat made me wiser.

Edited by DrTuner
Typo

On 12/11/2016 at 8:29 AM, trogers said:

It must have been a gigantic task to remove the meat from the stick before giving the stick to the infant...

Such is to expected in the land of "Mai Pen Rai"

For a culture whose belief system is based on cause and effect, it appears that no one has the slightest understanding of this concept. 

• 2 weeks later...