Donald Trump questions US commitment to 'One China' policy

webfact

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

I don't like either Trump or Clinton.  But the US would have done just fine with Clinton.  Trump is a question mark.  Clinton is not.

This is the rub. No one can predict outcomes with Trump. Might be funny domestically US but gets serious in the south china sea. Taiwan has always been tinder for greater issues.

I do think China has been given a little too much leeway for everyone's good in the SCS but in saying that I am not confident Trump is the man to fix the problem. Jed Bartlett maybe. This is dangerous territory as the Chinese do not understand a Khrushchev type back down. 

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So the west gave up millions of good jobs so that the middle class could buy cheap t shirts- good job, not.

Millions of workers in western countries have lost their jobs because of China. It's hard to be buying stuff if one is on foodstamps.

It's not even as though the junk coming out of China lasts more than 5 minutes either. It's cheap and useless.

Tell that to Apple.

3 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

In addition who is the biggest buyer of US Government bonds? I believe it is China which holds billions in such bonds. If Mr Trump tries to push his such too much, he could get into big trouble with the Chinese on this financial front.

If China does try to unload the US bonds it holds, that makes the dollar worth less and would hurt chinese exports.

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

No. The opening Salvo was who he chose to represent us. I say us as that's who he is undertaking this huge step for.

Business is business and globalization is business.

Check out what Lil ol Singapore pays per minister.

It's all about the money.

Liberals love to spend and print it.

Conservative World Players Make It.

Which is why the highly paid people in Silicon valley who are at the cutting edge of U.S. technology vote overwhelmingly Democratic. And why the folks from those regions of the country that excel in the production and/or consumption of amphetamine and opioids, vote Republican.

Quit the nonsense.  There are two China's. There are two Koreas and two Dakotas and two Carolina s

....spade is a spade. IF THERE ONLY ONE CHINA, then the Billions of dollars in trade would have went into different bank accounts.

The Emperor has new clothes. He ain't naked.....his name is TRUMP.

Edited by NickJ

Donald Trump, whatever you do, do not recognise that there are two Chinas. There is only one China.

Don't let China tell you that there are two Chinas. Them Chinese who are in Taiwan, they call themselves Republic of China, they're trying to say, that there are two Chinas.

Once you accept that there are two Chinas, well, it becomes very dangerous. What next ?  Two Russias, two Japans, two Pakistans, two Australias, the possiblities are horrendous. Any country that wants to break away, never accept them.

38 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Which is why it's been on an upward climb for the past several years?  Can you please share with us your knowledge of why currency traders are wrong and you're right?

I can share ;-) Currency traders are interested in relatively short time while forming a new worldwide currency with real background needs some time, but it does not mean that it will not come.  I hope I could give you exact explanation, if not, please study the relevant articles, from independent , not necessarily from the liberal sources. 

The only way that the Trumpsters will "get it" is when it actually happens and they experience the fallout for themselves.  Until then the blinkers will stay firmly in place.  The anti Trumpsters are just as stubborn so I guess we can't criticise too much either. 

As they say the proof of the pudding is in the eating and that will come soon enough.

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sounds good to me. Time for the west to stop bending over to China. Nothing good for western workers has happened because of China- just the opposite.

That view would be more palatable had he not put recognition of Taiwan as a bargaining chip in trade negotiations with China. Either Taiwan is to be supported or not: but how utterly repulsive is Trump to couch the future of Taiwan in terms of screwing a better deal with China ( if successful he implies he would forget Taiwan). The guy is a complete, first rate A-Hole.

1 hour ago, boomerangutang said:

You're probably joking. Eh?  That was Taiwan's stupid policy for decades after China's civil war.  But for a long time since, that hasn't been Taiwan's aim.  They want to be an independent country, as they should be.

Taiwan has made more progress in the last 40 years than any other country in the world: from a military dictatorship to a vibrant and thriving democracy, unbelievable economic miracle, culturally rich, extremely high standard of education and health care, 

It is the most successful country in Asia, all things considered, by so far it's not funny.

Diplomacy is different than trade matters, although the two are often linked.   If Trump wants to re-evaluate the One-China Policy, it is his right as President to do so.   He should, however, wait until he is President.  

On the issue of trade, I make it a point NOT to buy anything made in China if I can avoid it.   In Thailand, a lot of goods can be purchased from Europe and I buy those for high quality.   I used to complain about the quality of Thai-made goods...until Chinese goods became widely available.  

There is a cost difference.   But I went through 3 Chinese made microwaves in several years.   I went through 3 Chinese made blenders in 3 years.   I bought 5 fans made in China and all gave out within months (I should have known, they were really inexpensive).   In my home country the same microwave is in use that was bought in 1987/88.   The same blender has been used since I was a teenager.   The same fan has been around long enough to have sort of antique value!

31 minutes ago, Scott said:

Diplomacy is different than trade matters, although the two are often linked.   If Trump wants to re-evaluate the One-China Policy, it is his right as President to do so.   He should, however, wait until he is President.  

On the issue of trade, I make it a point NOT to buy anything made in China if I can avoid it.   In Thailand, a lot of goods can be purchased from Europe and I buy those for high quality.   I used to complain about the quality of Thai-made goods...until Chinese goods became widely available.  

There is a cost difference.   But I went through 3 Chinese made microwaves in several years.   I went through 3 Chinese made blenders in 3 years.   I bought 5 fans made in China and all gave out within months (I should have known, they were really inexpensive).   In my home country the same microwave is in use that was bought in 1987/88.   The same blender has been used since I was a teenager.   The same fan has been around long enough to have sort of antique value!

I think, for people in Britain, America and Thailand, it's sometimes difficult to find goods that are NOT made in China.  :smile:

I mean, flat-screen televisions, I think most are made in China. And computer laptops as well. Is most of the stuff in Walmart imported from China ? I know a lot of the stuff you see in Britain's big retailers (places like Argos, Currys, PC World, Carphone Warehouse) is from China.

The quality might be not so good, but it is cheaper. Most people would rather pay less, than pay more for a longer lasting item.

We are drifting off-topic, but many items can be found that are not made in China and I do make it a habit to look.   I am just very, very tired of having things not work when I need them.  

Oh, and don't get me started on Coffee Makers.   My family's coffee maker has been around since the percolator went out of style -- maybe in the early 80's.   In the meantime, I've had maybe 6 or 7.   One actually melted.   They were not used daily, where the family's coffee maker is used several times a day, every day.  

I have nothing against China, and I worked there for a time and traveled extensively in the country.   I just don't want anything made there, if I can avoid it.  

7 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

If China does try to unload the US bonds it holds, that makes the dollar worth less and would hurt chinese exports.

No it won't. If China really wanted to unload bonds in a hurry it would drive the yield of those bonds up. Drive up yields and money flows into dollars. If they sold off slowly there will be ready buyers at every yield point. Dollar neutral.  Hey, here's another missive on "economic theory" from your favorite economist:

http://www.businessinsider.com/krugman-trump-cia-russia-hack-2016-12

Most of the previous  people in politics,  have so much

rice and stuff  up  their  brown  noses,  that  it  is

refreshing  to see the Donald,  giving  a few  hints

before  the big official event happens,  and of course

with  Obama  and the gang  trying to delay  his  entrance

as the next President, it may be a bit longer for Mr.  Trump  to

get  the  official  briefcase, and other toys  and things.

Geezer

10 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Donald Trump, whatever you do, do not recognise that there are two Chinas. There is only one China.

Don't let China tell you that there are two Chinas. Them Chinese who are in Taiwan, they call themselves Republic of China, they're trying to say, that there are two Chinas.

Once you accept that there are two Chinas, well, it becomes very dangerous. What next ?  Two Russias, two Japans, two Pakistans, two Australias, the possiblities are horrendous. Any country that wants to break away, never accept them.

Taiwan is a soverign nation, which was bounced between Chinese and Japanese rule over the years.  They were not previously part of China, just ruled by them.  They've got a right to be an independent country.  Remember, they use to rule China, before beaten by the communists during the civil war.  Perhaps they've got a claim to mainland China? LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan

Countries wanting to break away has happened before.  And was done legally. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_independence_referendum,_2014

Same with Puerto Rico.  Up to the people.  Not the ones with the big stick.

4 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

No it won't. If China really wanted to unload bonds in a hurry it would drive the yield of those bonds up. Drive up yields and money flows into dollars. If they sold off slowly there will be ready buyers at every yield point. Dollar neutral.  Hey, here's another missive on "economic theory" from your favorite economist:

http://www.businessinsider.com/krugman-trump-cia-russia-hack-2016-12

You might as well have written, "I confess that I am economically illiterate." Since when in the history of markets has a selloff of a particular commodity been accompanied by a rise in its price?  Be it soybeans, tin, or dollars. Wow, go and collect your Ignoble Prize. And then leave discussions of economics to people who at least can grasp its rudimentary principles.

7 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

You might as well have written, "I confess that I am economically illiterate." Since when in the history of markets has a selloff of a particular commodity been accompanied by a rise in its price?  Be it soybeans, tin, or dollars. Wow, go and collect your Ignoble Prize. And then leave discussions of economics to people who at least can grasp its rudimentary principles.

Oh if you had a dollar you could buy a clue.....

Your so barking at the wrong moon here

LRB knows better than most what goes where & why financially/economically

Business is business and globalization is business.

Globalization is the strategy of big business sold to a gullible public by pom pom toting cheerleaders like Thomas Friedman. But the recent series of trade agreements such as the TPP show that it is a political agenda by the multinationals to increase profits by exempting those same multinationals from sovereign control. Some might call it extreme neoliberalism, but I just call it Rollerball (1975).

And by the way, as a former retail store owner who sold plenty of goods made in China, you can get any quality of widget made. The "cheapness" is ordered by the customer, facilitated by technology that allows the manufacturer to cut quality by a small percent just by changing some programming lines of code, no need to retool.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

12 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

How about Korea? At the moment, the only way forward that makes any sense is two Korea's. 

12 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

You're probably joking. Eh?  That was Taiwan's stupid policy for decades after China's civil war.  But for a long time since, that hasn't been Taiwan's aim.  They want to be an independent country, as they should be.

Of course Taiwan governing the whole of China is unlikely to the extreme, but the U.S. agreed the one China policy while never agreeing which government should govern. Statecraft at it's best. 

2 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Unless perhaps they do what Germany did????  Wouldn't that be great!

Yes, it would be great to see a democratic unified Korea. I wonder how it would affect the dynamics in that part of the globe though, as a united Korea would by definition mean a shared border with China.