2 Thai men killed after being hit by car driven by an Englishman

webfact

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

Ive read anywhere mentioning he was driving a rental.

I didn't say it was a rental.. it was an aside regarding insurance companies here. I edited that part as its not relevant in hindsight,,,, just my view of insurance companies here.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, james.d said:

I didn't say it was a rental.. it was an aside regarding insurance companies here. I edited that part as its not relevant in hindsight,,,, just my view of insurance companies here.

ohh so irrelevant, thank for the clarification.

3 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Here's an interesting chart that puts his BAC into perspective:

http://dui.drivinglaws.org/drink-table.php

Thats not a very accurate of informative chart, those drinks would be in the first hour of drinking then 1 standard drink every hour after would maintain those levels. I have a Breathalizer I take out with me, I went out drinking and had 5 Scotches and the Thai bird I was with had one beer, back in the hotel I tested .000 and she was .07, that's why I stopped drinking scotch at Thai bars, I'm sure they water it down too much.

5 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Yes but we are commenting oninthis thread. Maybe the TV news person needs to update with whats been reported on these other media outlets perhaps

You've lost me.

Are you suggesting that reports from other media can't be Introduced Into the discussion on TV??

13 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

You've lost me.

Are you suggesting that reports from other media can't be Introduced Into the discussion on TV??

Seems to a wealth of further information on this event out there in internet land according to some TV members, When I search  I cannot find it though so I ask for links to be posted. whether they can be posted here on TV or not is another matter but last I checked my PM functions is working.

4 minutes ago, William Osborne said:

...driving a 4x4 pickup pissed up in LOS with the volume of scooters around is plain wrong.....hard enough not to have an accident when sober !!

luckily the person in question was not driving a 4x4 pickup then !!!

21 minutes ago, SidJames said:

You have to keep asking yourself how a man of his youngish years can support himself over here in what some would deem a not unexpensive place?

err... he's in his early 40s ?..... should be able to afford a car by that age ??..... plenty of people living in LOS and working overseas .... place is not full UK OAPs  living on 1000 quid/month..

4 hours ago, bojo said:

To my knowledge, the amount of compensation paid to bereaved families and any prison time that might be served depends on how influential and wealthy they are and what if any sway they have locally.

He will need a negotiator fast, like yesterday, regardless of whether he's over the limit or not. I can imagine there will be many wannabe fixers coming out of the woodwork looking for a fast buck. Of that he needs to be aware.

It seems some countries' honorary consuls do such 'negotiator''s jobs. The one example I know about would show it doesn't come cheap though...

5 hours ago, bangrak said:

A friend of mine who is on Samui actually saw the stopped Ford, with the crowd around it, while he was driving home. According to him, it was near the level of the entrance of Zazen resort (close to a furniture shop I don't know). When so, that spot is not far at all from the road to W (well, too far anyway for dragging two persons and a motorbike under your SUV to)... Wonder which Soi 1 they refer to in the article, when it'd be Maenam's, then it'd be more than 1km. away from the road to W, ...and in the opposite direction of Zazen.

I thought it seemed a bit far to be dragging a bike, Soi 1 Maenam is the turning just before the bridge near Maenam police station. Most probably sloppy reporting from Samui times.

2 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

You've lost me.

Yes, please, by all means but I keep checking in this thread and see no updates, no links for reference, just words posted by TVF members. 

This is unusual because I can't find anything, and nobody is posting anything to back up their claims. This is typically done. At the very least to shove it in peoples faces when they are wrong. 

I don't see this happening. 

So far I have read on here that he was "piss drunk" "driving on the wrong side of the road" "BAC .135" "dragged motorbike like 100's of meters"

But I can't find this info anywhere. I honestly would like to know more details. 

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Seems to a wealth of further information on this event out there in internet land according to some TV members, When I search  I cannot find it though so I ask for links to be posted. whether they can be posted here on TV or not is another matter but last I checked my PM functions is working.

Really weird this phenomenon this is. 

OK a gentleman poster just sent me a PM with links to websites reporting on this. None of them say that he had a BAC of .135 nor did it say the result of any alcohol test at all. 

The overtaking thing? That was reported by "Witnesses" IE Angry Thais. They also claim that he "Sped off 2 whole kilometers" etc... Before stopping. This particular newspaper is particularly extreme in their report of events. 

Police said "He appeared drunk" but that means nothing, until the report is released. 

Police said he is charged with "Reckless driving causing death" while awaiting test results. 

None of these websites are really credible, except for one, and thats probably why posters aren't linking to them and thats why I couldn't find anything myself. 

So basically its the same story in the OP, except for lynch mob "witness" statements. 

Edited by Strange

7 minutes ago, baansgr said:

As stated certain links cant be posted. Youve obviously been sent stickboy to read. If you have a Thai partner/friend get them look, a!so channel 3 reported earlier. Nothing mentioned of blood level.

I did. Its way too biased. Do you think local Thai TV is credible as it pertains to the facts? Or do you think they would likely spin it so that the foreigner is the target of abuse & never mind what the motorbike drivers were doing? Not saying they did, but its very likely. This is thailand & they are very biased. 

I was sent the stickboy read and 4 other links. One was from the newspaper that can't be mentioned here and it was probably similar to what you see on Thai TV. 

8 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Any links or google search terms to the articles  stating a BAC of .135 ?

And BTW, if you bothered to read the OP you would know the driver knew he hit something, He told the police he did.

Why not ask the poster (wazza1) who posted that information!

He knew he'd hit something but didn't stop for how long!!! Given the state of his vehicle he'd have to be blind and drunk not to realise he'd been involved in an accident - the villagers thought he was trying to do a runner, sounds like he was but couldn't because he had something wedged under his vehicle.

Edited by chiang mai

4 hours ago, Strange said:

I did. Its way too biased. Do you think local Thai TV is credible as it pertains to the facts? Or do you think they would likely spin it so that the foreigner is the target of abuse & never mind what the motorbike drivers were doing? Not saying they did, but its very likely. This is thailand & they are very biased. 

I was sent the stickboy read and 4 other links. One was from the newspaper that can't be mentioned here and it was probably similar to what you see on Thai TV. 

It is ridiculous that relevant links cannot be posted. Makes a mockery of any reasonable discussion in a forum on topic. Exacerbated  when a random poster can cite a number as a relevant fact without veracity because because references are not culture.

I see no new info out there and nothing of that BAC number. 

---

Mind you, the relationship of English publications to each other and first hand source material would make good reading in a separate topic. They seem to rely on social media as much as anyone or leaks from the RTP when favorable. Welcome to the post truth world.

http://blog.oup.com/2016/11/word-of-the-year-2016-post-truth/

Why all the obsession with link this link that. Send link to confirm this that and the other.

He admitted to drinking (over the limit or not). He hit a bike whilst overtaking another vehicle and dragged the bike and two human beings on the bike some distance, he admitted he knew he had hit something but still carried on not knowing what he hit. Even if by some twist of fate he is under the limit he is still guilty of reckless driving. Failing to stop at the scene of an accident. Causing two deaths by reckless driving Manslaughter at the very least. So really stop with the link crap there is and can never be any justification for this. I firmly belive there should be a zero limit on alcohol then driving. (Before it starts yes I know some medication can give a alcohol reading then the law must be revisited to look at if people are on this medication whatever it may be the should not be driving in the first place)

1 minute ago, Deepinthailand said:

Why all the obsession with link this link that. Send link to confirm this that and the other.

He admitted to drinking (over the limit or not). He hit a bike whilst overtaking another vehicle and dragged the bike and two human beings on the bike some distance, he admitted he knew he had hit something but still carried on not knowing what he hit. Even if by some twist of fate he is under the limit he is still guilty of reckless driving. Failing to stop at the scene of an accident. Causing two deaths by reckless driving Manslaughter at the very least. So really stop with the link crap there is and can never be any justification for this. I firmly belive there should be a zero limit on alcohol then driving. (Before it starts yes I know some medication can give a alcohol reading then the law must be revisited to look at if people are on this medication whatever it may be the should not be driving in the first place)

Pretty much my thoughts on it as well. The only thing though is that this is Thailand, and it may be possible that if he is not over the limit then you can pay his way out of it, if he is sloshed then he has no chance and is going to certainly find out that his life is over. I assume people are wanting to know which direction he is going to be heading in but the blood test results have not been produced yet 

2 minutes ago, JustNo said:

Pretty much my thoughts on it as well. The only thing though is that this is Thailand, and it may be possible that if he is not over the limit then you can pay his way out of it, if he is sloshed then he has no chance and is going to certainly find out that his life is over. I assume people are wanting to know which direction he is going to be heading in but the blood test results have not been produced yet 

He will be able to get out of it regardless if he pays the family enough to drop the charges. Thats why people get away with so much over here. 

On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 8:24 AM, Deepinthailand said:

He will be dealt with as the law prescribes and I hope it's the full letter of the law. As for the second bit he was overtaking therefore on the wrong side of the road and ploughed into a oncoming bike so I fail to see the relevance of your on "as side note" remarks in this case.

I understand the relevance of his remarks.

The motorcycle driving conduct is a big part of the hazards while driving here in Thailand because they are all over the place and driving in a manner that definitely increases the rate of accidents.

Maybe not in this particular case ...but in general there are many accidents involving motorcycles and the other types of vehicles on the road where the driving conduct of the motorcycle operator is what caused the accident or certainly added to the circumstances leading up to the accident.

I witnessed a classic reckless motorcycle accident about 5 months as ago where a speeding motor cycle driver came up from behind a car traveling in front of my Taxi that I was in while the car in front of us was traveling slower than the motorcycle ( a more safer speed and the speed limit, so to speak ) so the motorcycle driver immediately veers around the slower traveling car and proceeds to pass the car ..but.... in-between another on coming car.

This is commonly seen ...all the time .. motorcycles passing in-between 2 on coming vehicles.

In this case, just as that motorcycle driver made his move, there happened to be a another motorcycle behind the on coming car in the opposite lane and that motorcycle driver did the exact same thing ..veering around the back of the car in front of him and trying to go between the 2 on coming vehicles.

End result was, 2 motorcycle drivers coming at one another and head on and no room to maneuver as the 2 cars about to pass one another had the 2 motorcycle drivers more or less trapped in-between

The motorcycle driver in my lane made his reckless move a split second after the other on coming motorcycle made his move first, so, the motorcycle driver in my lane, having no choice now, hit the brakes for a split second and then.... cut in front of the on coming car and quickly veered around the front of the oncoming car and over to the far side of the road and hit the dirt shoulder of the road and nearly out of control but quickly corrected the bike while narrowly avoided been hit by the on coming car.

A successful maneuver.......except for the tree that was right there on the edge of the road and the driver plowed into that tree.

The bike and driver hit that tree at about 15 to possibly 20 K per hour and the bike deflected off the tree but the driver and the tree were momentarily glued together on impact and then the driver fell off the face of the tree and onto the road while the bike went spinning forward and coming to a stop about 5 meters away.

I figured the driver had to be hurt bad as the sudden impact was more than deadly enough...but no, he more or less bounced up off the pavement ( comedy style ) and stood up and proceeded to quickly examine himself and wipe himself down with no visible damage as I passed by him in the taxi.

When I looked behind I could see the car he had veered in front of did not stop and nor did the motorcycle that he almost collided with while 2 people on another motorcycle pulled over and stopped to observe.

The point is, had that motorcycle driver collided with the front end of the oncoming car or went down in front of that car and ended up underneath that on coming car and killed then who would have been responsible while the family of the motorcycle driver would be distraught of course and wanting answers while naturally suspect that it was the car drivers fault and not their sons reckless driving that resulted in his death....as they were not there to witness their sons totally reckless driving conduct.

The motorcycle drivers cause a LOT of accidents

3 hours ago, optad said:

It is ridiculous that relevant links cannot be posted. Makes a mockery of any reasonable discussion in a forum on topic. Exacerbated  when a random poster can cite a number as a relevant fact without veracity because because references are not culture.

I see no new info out there and nothing of that BAC number. 

---

Mind you, the relationship of English publications to each other and first hand source material would make good reading in a separate topic. They seem to rely on social media as much as anyone or leaks from the RTP when favorable. Welcome to the post truth world.

http://blog.oup.com/2016/11/word-of-the-year-2016-post-truth/

Post truth world......Yes I like that and have to say it is a new one to me. Obviously not hearing enough political commentary or reading enough mainstream publications.

But I do not want to go off-topic.

17 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

I agree 100%,  even drinking just one beer and then climbing behind the wheel is inexcusable and then to knowingly hit something and not stop, beggars belief.

I would hope he rots in jail for a long time but sadly though he will toss some money at the problem and it will disappear. Maybe that's why there has been nothing more reported in the media ?

31 minutes ago, Strange said:

He will be able to get out of it regardless if he pays the family enough to drop the charges. Thats why people get away with so much over here. 

So everybody in a Thai jail is skint ?

If you do a search, you will some very affluent Thais currently incarcerated.

Edited by Thaiwrath