Left-hand land usage

bluesofa

I'm sure this must have been asked a lot in the past regarding the use of the lane to the left of the continous white line, as in the photo.

Is there an official designation and usage for this lane? You see it being used by motorbikes drving along it, as a parking area, an area for selling miscellaneous goods, etc.

Recently a TV member posted an English translation of Thai traffic law. So far, the closest I can find is Section 35:
"If such a roadway is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction, the driver shall drive the vehicle in the outermost left-hand side lane."
But I'm not sure if it specifically refers to this left-hand lane? Is it officially regarding as part of the road, or just a free for all to do anything on?

Related image

Btw, I noticed in section 122 that monks don't have to wear a helmet.

As an aside, what's the minimum age to drive a motorbike here? I thought it was 18, but my wife said it's 15?

12 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

thought it was 18, but my wife said it's 15?

This one is easy: your wife is right.

15 years to do the driving license and ride a scooter.

I sat with such teenagers in the DL tutoring class :biggrin:

Ride a scooter:

I remember having read that there are restrictions of what type of bike they are allowed to ride. Restriction applies up the 20th year (legal age).

I don't know more details just assuming that there is limit for displacement. From some Thai sites it looks like 110 ccm the typical small scooter.

What the legal binding of this kind of lines is?

On highway 12 - where I drive regularly - there are stretches where special signs oblige bikes and bicycles (scooters) to use such a strip.

That's all I know.

From common sense you would expect that it is not free to use for every purpose but intended for slow/two wheel traffic.

Just now, KhunBENQ said:

This one is easy: your wife is right.

15 years to do the driving license and ride a scooter.

I sat with such teenagers in the DL tutoring class :biggrin:

Ride a scooter:

I remember having read that there are restrictions of what type of bike they are allowed to ride. Restriction applies up the 20th year (legal age).

I don't know more details.

What the legal binding of this kind of lines is?

On highway 12 where I drive regularly there are stretches where special signs oblige bikes and bicycles to use such a strip.

That's all I know.

From common sense you would expect that it is not free to use for every purpose but intended for slow/two wheel traffic.

That's why i was trying to get a definite answer, as up to now I have never been sure.

I think your use of the phrase 'common sense' could be the downfall here! (grin!)

Yes, for slow traffic/motorbikes. However with cars often parked there, the lane often being dirty with sand and lack of law enforcement to keep the lane available for motorbikes, bikes often (are forced to) drive in the lane next to it.

In certain places you'll find signs indicating the use of the lane.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

29 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Yes, for slow traffic/motorbikes. However with cars often parked there, the lane often being dirty with sand and lack of law enforcement to keep the lane available for motorbikes, bikes often (are forced to) drive in the lane next to it.

In certain places you'll find signs indicating the use of the lane.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Right, that's what I've keen to find out about. I don't want to seem too pedantic, but is there somewhere it states specifically about this "lane" being regarded as part of the carriageway, as opposed to it being used as a parking free-for-all?

I've seen a photo posted on TV before with the "keep left" sign for bikes, although I found it difficult to understand which "left" lane it referred to, as I've detailed above.

I've seen signs with a depiction of a 2 wheeled bike (bicycle) on it but the motorised bikes/scooters use it to.

In the attachment is Section 35 from Land Traffic Act, B.E.  2522

But it's not just bicycles/motorised bikes/scooters......it's referring to slow vehicles!

"

Section 35 Thai Road Rules.JPG

Archived