Building collapses, injuring one and burying four workers on Sukhumvit 87

webfact

Building collapses, injuring one and burying four workers on Sukhumvit 87

Building.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A 8-storey old building collapsed from the top floor onto the ground injuring one worker and burying four others.

The old showroom building on Sukhumvit 87 is located on a two-rai plot of land on the Sukhumvit road and is under demolition by the new leaser.

Rescue workers and Phrakhanong district officials are now at the scene to try to locate the missing workers buried under the concrete rubble and dust.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/building-collapses-injuring-one-burying-four-workers-sukhumvit-87/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-12-16

Three workers died in Sukhumvit building collapse

buildding1.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Three workers were confirmed killed after a six-storey old building on Sukhumvit road in Phra Khanong collapsed to the ground while it was under demolition.

Three other workers were believed to be trapped underneath the concrete rubble.

Rescue workers are now racing with time to look for those still trapped inside the collapsed building.

Police said they have detained the contractor of the demolition work for questioning.

More heavy equipments and sniffing dogs of the police and the military are now at the scene to look for possible survivors.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/three-workers-died-sukhumvit-building-collapse/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-12-16

Workers Trapped In Sukhumvit Building Collapse, At Least 3 Dead

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter -

collapse.jpg

Rescue workers at a collapsed building Friday on Soi Sukhumvit 87.

BANGKOK — Rescue animals were searching for a construction worker Friday afternoon trapped inside a collapsed building in Soi Sukhumvit 87 where at least three people have died.

Rescue workers, Phra Khanong police and firemen rushed to the scene at 9:30am after four workers were caught in the rubble of a six-story building that collapsed while being demolished.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2016/12/16/workers-trapped-sukhumvit-building-collapse-least-3-dead/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-12-16

“Rescue workers and Phrakhanong district officials are now at the scene to try to locate the missing workers buried under the concrete rubble and dust.

First day to demolition or any construction training....Just need to learn one phrase; "That's another fine mess you've gotten us into".

One dead, others feared killed in Sukhumvit building collapse
By The Nation

suk.jpg

Photo by Nation/Khanathit Srihirundaj

BANGKOK: -- Rescue workers, police and fire-fighters are searching for survivor in the debris of a five-storey building on Bangkok’s Sukhumvt Soi 87, which collapsed on Friday morning. 

It was initially reported that four workers were trapped in the building, which was undergoing demolition. Rescuers have so far discovered the body of one unnamed male worker. 

The nearby Wells International School has also evacuated students as a precaution.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30302227

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-12-16

One wonders at what point will Thailand start taking building safety, public safety, and traffic safety seriously. Frankly, this accident is simply another reflection of what goes happens on the Thai roads daily. Absolute mayhem, with nearly zero law enforcement, on the highway. The only time I see the highway patrol, is AFTER an accident takes place. The rest of the time they seem to be holed up somewhere playing cards. I rarely if ever see speeding tickets being given, and I have never witnesses someone being cited for either reckless driving, or fleeing the scene of a crime. The justice system here is completely broken.

27 minutes ago, diddygq said:

Scanning through the articles the building was 8-storeys, then 6, then 5.  I would have to say 0 now. 

I saw the same and was going to post.... also the number killed is different depending on which newspaper you read.   Accuracy is not the important thing with anything in this country.   Just get something out fast.  The editors should be ashamed of their reporting coverage.

42 minutes ago, diddygq said:

Scanning through the articles the building was 8-storeys, then 6, then 5.  I would have to say 0 now. 

Looking at the various photos I can see one tall ground floor storey, 4 more intact storeys, plus what looks like part of another floor for a total of 6 storeys.  Who knows how many storeys they had already removed.

Edited by HarrySeaman

The irony here; that building was probably being torn down to build another shoddily constructed "condo".  In reality it will sit half empty for years and in the process begin its own ugly poorly maintained deterioration process.

You will see this a lot over the next 2 years.  

By chance  was at the site this morning and it is an 8 story building being demolished!

The 7th and 8th floors have already gone and their is still a small hydraulic excavator on the front of the top existing 6th floor .

The middle section collapsed and caught some of the workers inside.  I believe they are trying to retrieve these workers till now! 

The rear section is still up to at least the 5th or 6th floor!

Sad situation really!

Static law in building earthq...wise is in place since 4 years not for those whom build before that time....years ago reading 3000 building not safe in Bkk without names of course.....safety first....when I read that phrase as Quality IHK inspector then I must say its far from coming near the standards as apply.

safety is directly related to cost! thats just the way it is! They could have done everything possible to make the demolition process a safe operation, they didn't betting that it "may" go ok? If it didn't go ok, as has happened it will cost them the price of ? lives, doubtless a lot cheaper than doing the job in a safe manner.

Until the price of a a life raises to the point where safety has to be paramount! These dangerous operations will continue!

Sad!  :saai:

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

One wonders at what point will Thailand start taking building safety, public safety, and traffic safety seriously. Frankly, this accident is simply another reflection of what goes happens on the Thai roads daily. Absolute mayhem, with nearly zero law enforcement, on the highway. The only time I see the highway patrol, is AFTER an accident takes place. The rest of the time they seem to be holed up somewhere playing cards. I rarely if ever see speeding tickets being given, and I have never witnesses someone being cited for either reckless driving, or fleeing the scene of a crime. The justice system here is completely broken.

It can only be broken ,If there is one to break.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

thats why pom rak thai... no speeding tickets and if toyaly pissed no problem...pay cash as usual....

Funny comment and sarcasm is the value also in this thread. That the safty regulations aren´t up to modern standard is all clear, but this is not more than just a very tragic accident. I feel terribly sorry for the ones who died and even more for their families that are left to deal with it. 

If it´s something that could have been avoided, then I sincerely hope that they put the hard pressure on the construtor responsible.

Edited by Get Real

If the building in question is a monolithic slab construction, the same care must be used during demolition as was used in erection. The building is basically one piece. Google the Korean department store collapse to see what happens when this is not done properly. A structural engineer should be on site as well to ensure that the building is demolished correctly.

3 hours ago, MaxLee said:

Materials made in China.......

Same safety laws. They also had a big construction collapse there a couple weeks ago. They could have imploded the building with some dynamite but most jobs here are labor intensive to provide work or in this case death.