Which is your favorite Pattaya shopping center?

Sarahg

I am happy the Thais have a nice place to see first run movies.
But, if you knew anything about history of that mall and the theaters you would know they have never shown English speaking movies in the past.  A few with subtitles.  Pretty unusual for a major tourist city to have a modern theater with no English speaking movies. Even the less tourist cities and much less English speaking areas such as Khon Kaen and Korat have major theaters with at least one cinema showing first run movies in English.  This topic about the theaters at Central Marina has come up before, so I was just providing some new information.
As far as London they would be much smarter to make all their theaters showing movies in Arabic, as that seems to be the primary language now.
Have a good day!

The old Central Marina used to show plenty of English movies in the 90's. I watched loads in there, Arnie, Mel Gibson, Will Smith blockbusters etc.

One of the reasons they stopped showing English speaking movies is because Central Pattaya beach is the same movie company, so they put the Thai dubbed stuff in one place.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I am happy the Thais have a nice place to see first run movies.

But, if you knew anything about history of that mall and the theaters you would know they have never shown English speaking movies in the past.  A few with subtitles.  Pretty unusual for a major tourist city to have a modern theater with no English speaking movies. Even the less tourist cities and much less English speaking areas such as Khon Kaen and Korat have major theaters with at least one cinema showing first run movies in English.  This topic about the theaters at Central Marina has come up before, so I was just providing some new information.

As far as London they would be much smarter to make all their theaters showing movies in Arabic, as that seems to be the primary language now.

Have a good day!

But, if you knew anything about history of that mall and the theaters you would know they have never shown English speaking movies in the past.  

Yes they did. I went to lots of movies there before they went all Thai. I guess after Central and Avenue opened they didn't get enough farang customers, so went Thai to attract more patrons.

If I remember correctly, way back Big C didn't have a cinema at all and Royal Garden had the only two cinema screens in town. Back then, it was hard to find any English language films outside Bkk.

Now more farangs are staying at that end of town they may be testing the market for English movies.

Kad Soon Keaw in Chiang Mai also shows mainly Thai dub movies, but sometimes in English with Thai subtitles.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

39 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

But, if you knew anything about history of that mall and the theaters you would know they have never shown English speaking movies in the past.  

Yes they did. I went to lots of movies there before they went all Thai. I guess after Central and Avenue opened they didn't get enough farang customers, so went Thai to attract more patrons.

If I remember correctly, way back Big C didn't have a cinema at all and Royal Garden had the only two cinema screens in town. Back then, it was hard to find any English language films outside Bkk.

Now more farangs are staying at that end of town they may be testing the market for English movies.

Kad Soon Keaw in Chiang Mai also shows mainly Thai dub movies, but sometimes in English with Thai subtitles.

You seem to be somewhat confused.

I specifically posted about the current mall, "Central Marina". No mention of the previous place with a different name.

As I said,  the Central Marina has never shown English speaking movies in the past.

If you want to talk about a completely different place and 10 years ago,  then I guess I missed out on it.

On 12/17/2016 at 3:23 PM, ThailandLOS said:

Sounds like Mike's would cater for your needs.

when I was recently there I found mikes mall Amazing!  The toilets were perfectly located if your having beers  across the rd at coconuts at 8pm

Central Marina was until the recent makeover called Central Festival AKA "Big C North"
up until the closure of Royal Garden cinemas and the opening of Cinemas at
"Central Pattaya Beach" they showed films in original language with Thai subtitles as well as Thai dubbed films.

It would be good if one of the cinemas
(hint hint The Avenue )
would show some older classic block buster movies ,no not silent black and white ones but for example the original Starwars,Jaws,Indiana Jones,T2 etc but maybe they are doing so well and full everyday so dont need any extra customers ?

1 minute ago, johng said:

Central Marina was until the recent makeover called Central Festival AKA "Big C North"
up until the closure of Royal Garden cinemas and the opening of Cinemas at
"Central Pattaya Beach" they showed films in original language with Thai subtitles as well as Thai dubbed films.

It would be good if one of the cinemas
(hint hint The Avenue )
would show some older classic block buster movies ,no not silent black and white ones but for example the original Starwars,Jaws,Indiana Jones,T2 etc but maybe they are doing so well and full everyday so dont need any extra customers ?

TRUE did away with HBO and Cinemax on their Gold

package...now showing a lot of old crap movies on

their premium channels...no need to go,to the Cinema.

38 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

You seem to be somewhat confused.

I specifically posted about the current mall, "Central Marina". No mention of the previous place with a different name.

As I said,  the Central Marina has never shown English speaking movies in the past.

If you want to talk about a completely different place and 10 years ago,  then I guess I missed out on it.

Hmmmmm

When I first arrived in Pattaya, the Central Marina was Big C shopping mall ( the new building at the front was a big food court ). The cinema is above the Big C supermarket, yes?

They used to show English soundtrack movies in that cinema when it opened.

Have a nice day :smile:.

Edited by thaibeachlovers