Cam My 4 year Old Child Stay (Come and Go) Without Visa Or Problems ?

Hi I am English, over 50 and will get retirement visa on my next trip to Thailand . My question here is regarding my son who lives exclusivly with me . His mum is Thai but has gone now 6 months ago very little contact and unwilling to help in any way . My son was born in UK has UK passport and UK birth certifificate. I am planning to send him to Satit school here in Pattaya next year . As I understood he needs education Visa .....but having spoke to Visa agents they tell me because he is only 4 he can come and go  with me from UK to Thailand ( and back again) as I wish with any length of stay without any problems at airports either end .. no return air tickets .. nothing ... just the automatic 30 day tourist visa we all get . I know is not technically right , but in practice ??

Question.... I would like to hear from anyone that has personally taken their small British born child in and out on a few occasions in this way and can confirm no problems . (or had problems). .. He is half Thai remmember .. but born in UK.  Just need a little confidance here before I do it ....thanks

Will let those having experience answer but ask why son does not have Thai passport and enter using that if you plan to live in Thailand?  He would not need visa or 90 day reports or any immigration contact and once placed on a Thai home register would be able to obtain ID card if he does not have already.  If he is living in Thailand he would likely want to be Thai.  Expect ex might be willing to help in this matter.  

There is no financial charge for overstay is what visa agents are saying - he would still be overstay and his UK passport so stamped on each immigration contact.

• Like 1

I've no personal experience as my son has a Thai passport, but your son will be able to come and go without a visa without a problem. He can't be fined for overstay (they probably will stamp his passport), or banned at his age or as a Thai. He has a legal right to enter and live in Thailand.

If you can't immediately get him a Thai passport/ID, and want to avoid him overstaying as a Brit, it will be easy to get him an extension of stay as your son if you have a 1 year extension of stay (not a visa) based on retirement (over 50). He would effectively piggy back your extension (permit to stay), and IMO  that would be better/easier than getting him an 'education visa'.

Children under the age of 15 are not fined for an overstay but they do get a overstay stamp whe leaving the country. Not being fined for overstay does not exempt them from need visa and/or extension of stay.

You should register your sons birth at the Thai embassy in London so that he can get a Thai passport.

If you have proof that his mother is Thai he can get one year extensions at immigration as a returning Thai national.

• Like 1

As stated his mum will not help .. he did have thai passport and birth certificate as well.. but are long gone . I want to do everything as a british citizen ...not Thai if possible. Visa company said they can get his UK birth certificate stamped if I want to . but is it realy necessary ?

ELVIAJERO.. Are you saying once I"ve got my 1 year retirement visa ... I can do something else (Extension of stay)  for him that piggybacks mine very easily ? Excuse the ignorance ... what exactly is it and how do I go about it .

Edited by Rolanddrums
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rolanddrums said:

Are you saying once I"ve got my 1 year retirement visa ... I can do something else (Extension of stay)  for him that piggybacks mine very easily ? Excuse the ignorance ... what exactly is it and how do I go about it .

After you get your extension of stay your son can get an extension as your dependent that will be equal to the length of yours.

I suggest you have your son's UK birth certificate legalized since immigration will likely want that done when his extension is applied for.

Info is in this file from the UK embassy website. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/461071/Legalising_a_signature_or_seal_final_Sept_15.pdf

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rolanddrums said:

As stated his mum will not help .. he did have thai passport and birth certificate as well.. but are long gone . I want to do everything as a british citizen ...not Thai if possible. Visa company said they can get his UK birth certificate stamped if I want to . but is it realy necessary ?

ELVIAJERO.. Are you saying once I"ve got my 1 year retirement visa ... I can do something else (Extension of stay)  for him that piggybacks mine very easily ? Excuse the ignorance ... what exactly is it and how do I go about it .

If you do not have a cop of his birth certificate then you can always go to the area he was born in and apply for a replacement Then applying for his Thai passport is  a snap

Should not be a problem However coming in a British Passport I would get him a Visa until you sort out the rest

18 hours ago, Rolanddrums said:

Why wouldn't you do this? It would make your own visa situation much easier if you have all documents and can proof that you have a Thai Child then apply for a Non-O visa and do 1 year extensions.  Only 400k or 40k monthly income instead of retirement 65k monthly or 800k on Thai Bank. And also easier options to get a WP.  And it also would give you the opportunity to get residence permit in the future.

Edited by SoFarAndNear
  • Like 1

I think i will get my retirement visa .. get my sons get UK birth certificate stamped ( Visa company say they can get done in Thailand !) Then get the piggyback extension metioned for my son ... Is that a plan ?  Forget any Thai passports / birth certificates ..its not going to happen.

3 minutes ago, Rolanddrums said:

I think i will get my retirement visa .. get my sons get UK birth certificate stamped ( Visa company say they can get done in Thailand !) Then get the piggyback extension metioned for my son ... Is that a plan ?  Forget any Thai passports / birth certificates ..its not going to happen.

Not sure how they can get it done here. Many people have had to send marriage and birth certificates to the UK to meet immigrations requirements.

Sounds like a good plan for now to me.

UbonJoe.. Looking at link you sent me for getting BC stamped , last paragraph says ' with this there is no need to get stamped at British Embassy in Bkk' ( Or pretty similar) ... Does this imply that it COULD therefore be done in Bkk if I so wished ?    ..uum if so much easier I think for me.

2 minutes ago, Rolanddrums said:

UbonJoe.. Looking at link you sent me for getting BC stamped , last paragraph says ' with this there is no need to get stamped at British Embassy in Bkk' ( Or pretty similar) ... Does this imply that it COULD therefore be done in Bkk if I so wished ?    ..uum if so much easier I think for me.

The UK embassy will not do it. From this page where I got the link I posted.  

From: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand

Legalising a signature or seal

Legalisation is the official confirmation that a signature, seal or stamp on an official public document is genuine. UK public documents such as birth, death, marriage and divorce certificates can be legalised by the UK government in the UK. This is also known as an apostille. More information on how to get your UK document legalised for use in Thailand can be found on Three Steps of Legalising a Signatures or Seal (PDF, 142KB, 1 page) and Legalisation Infographic (PDF, 168KB, 1 page) .

At one time they let you do statement that it was a true correct document but they stopped doing it.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Ok I currently back in UK for a few weeks I have had my sons uk birth certificate lagalised at Milton Keynes and returned safely back to me . I shall send it to Thai Embassy in London for them to legalise it + 10 GBP cash . Do I need to include anything else? 

Once I get that back I will apply for 60 day tourist visas ( again from UK) both for myself and my son. Is applying paying for both actually required ?

After the 60 days in Thai we will then come back UK in April . Before our next journey to Thai I will apply for my retirement visa from the UK. I have just popped 1m baht in my thai bank account to start the 2 month clock ticking requirement for this. Final question..... how/when do i then apply for the piggyback extension on my childs UK passport to enable both of us to stay in LOS for a year at a time? ..thanks in advance .

3 hours ago, Rolanddrums said:

Ok I currently back in UK for a few weeks I have had my sons uk birth certificate lagalised at Milton Keynes and returned safely back to me . I shall send it to Thai Embassy in London for them to legalise it + 10 GBP cash . Do I need to include anything else? 

Once I get that back I will apply for 60 day tourist visas ( again from UK) both for myself and my son. Is applying paying for both actually required ?

After the 60 days in Thai we will then come back UK in April . Before our next journey to Thai I will apply for my retirement visa from the UK. I have just popped 1m baht in my thai bank account to start the 2 month clock ticking requirement for this. Final question..... how/when do i then apply for the piggyback extension on my childs UK passport to enable both of us to stay in LOS for a year at a time? ..thanks in advance .

You could both get single entry non-o visas if you have any proof you child's mother is Thai. You for being his father him for being a Thai national.

You can use those non-o visa to get your extension of stay based upon retirement and his as your dependent after you get the extension.

Thanks Joe. Not sure I need 90 days this time 60 is enough Applying for non O is confusing..it says if applicant over 50 must appy to embassy in London ...why?  and does this allow by post ? Yes I have uk marriage cert showing wife thai but nothing much.

Just going back to the retirement visa , can this be applied for/obtained whilst outside UK or must it be done whilst in LOS ?   Must get bored of all my questions..i try reading up but just opens more questions. On top of that Im looking after my 4 yr son 24 7 all on my own uk and thailand....thanks

3 minutes ago, Rolanddrums said:

Thanks Joe. Not sure I need 90 days this time 60 is enough Applying for non O is confusing..it says if applicant over 50 must appy to embassy in London ...why?  and does this allow by post ? Yes I have uk marriage cert showing wife thai but nothing much.

Just going back to the retirement visa , can this be applied for/obtained whilst outside UK or must it be done whilst in LOS ?   Must get bored of all my questions..i try reading up but just opens more questions. On top of that Im looking after my 4 yr son 24 7 all on my own uk and thailand....thanks

You would not get a non-o visa in the UK for being 50 or over they don't issue them 65 or over and on state pension.

You could apply for a OA long stay visa at the embassy in London. For it you don't need the money to be in a Thai bank.

You  can apply for a single entry non-o visa based upon being the parent of a Thai and then apply for an extension stay based upon retirement. I assumed you intended to apply for an extension when you mentioned you had put the money in a Thai bank.

Form this page on the embassy website. http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/visa-modern#section3

• In the case of settlement in Thailand with Thai spouse/ Children/ Parents(Non-immigrant "O"): photo copy certificate of marriage, birth, Thai nationality passport/Thai ID card.(please do not send the original)

You can find info about all visas and doing the application by mail or in person on that page.

Lets stick with 60 day tourist visas this time. .its long enough for this stay. Should I apply for the retirement Visa once i get back to Uk in april ? Or should this be done once in Thailand again? The money wont have been in the bank 2 months until 18th March ..... That gives me about 2 weeks to get the retirement Visa sorted in Thailand before Im flying back to UK ... Im not sure if is enough time ?

Once I get the retirement Visa what do I need for my son  ? Just his UK Birth certicate' legalised ' and house papers ? What actually goes in his passport once is all done ?

21 minutes ago, Rolanddrums said:

Lets stick with 60 day tourist visas this time. .its long enough for this stay. Should I apply for the retirement Visa once i get back to Uk in april ? Or should this be done once in Thailand again? The money wont have been in the bank 2 months until 18th March ..... That gives me about 2 weeks to get the retirement Visa sorted in Thailand before Im flying back to UK ... Im not sure if is enough time ?

Once I get the retirement Visa what do I need for my son  ? Just his UK Birth certicate' legalised ' and house papers ? What actually goes in his passport once is all done ?

As I wrote you can on get a NON-OA long stay visa. That requires a medical certificate and a back ground check.

You would not be able to apply for the extension with a tourist visa. You could apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at immigration but your son would not be able to apply for one as your dependent. He would need a non-o visa from a embassy or consulate.

Since tourist visa are free until Feb 28th getting the tourist visas might be the best option for your trip back.

Then apply for the non-o visas during you next trip back to the UK.

Once you have your extension you can apply for your son's extension and will only need the birth certificate.

Just gets more and complex  Tourist Visa 60 day is not free it is £25 but I can do by post and is relatively easy . I live a long way from London etc so whatever I do I need to be able to do by post . I will get 60 day tourist visas by mail . Apply for my my retirement visa at Immigration in Jomtien  (money in my account is ok with me) whilst I am next  there . I will then come back to UK and apply for his extension from UK before I return LOS a further time . Is there a link or form for this ? Failing that I will just ignore all this nightmare for my son and just live with having overstay stamps in his passport.

My Progress :- Ok My sons UK B/C now has apostille from Milton Keynes & stamp from Thai Embassy in London. We both now have 60 day tourist visas ready for LOS start/mid  Feb . I also have 800K baht plus in my Thai account ticking away since 16 Jan for the 2 months retirement visa requiremnts.  I'm over 50 . After 16 March I will apply for my retirement visa from Jomtien Immigration. After that what do i need to do to get my UK born half Thai sons extension 'piggyback' so he can enter/leave officially as and when with me ? ...thanks.

8 hours ago, Rolanddrums said:

After that what do i need to do to get my UK born half Thai sons extension 'piggyback' so he can enter/leave officially as and when with me ? ...thanks.

You child will need a non-o visa entry in order for you to apply for his extension as your dependent after you get your extension of stay.

You could do a change of visa status to obtain a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at some immigration offices. You could apply for it shortly after you enter the country since you already have the 800k baht in a Thai bank since there is no requirement for it to be in the bank for 60 day to apply for the change. Then you could apply for the one year extension based upon retirement during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.

Your son would have to get a non-o visa at a nearby embassy or consulate as your dependent. Immigration is not authorized to do a change to a non immigrant visa for a dependent of those on retirement extensions.

You best option may be for both of you to go out for single entry non-o visas. You would apply for your for being 50 or over by showing your bank book with 800k in the bank and your child as your dependent. Then you could both apply for your extensions on the same day at immigration.

OP keeps talking about a retirement visa.  Maybe I'm out of date, but I thought there is no such thing as a retirement visa.  I had always heard about extension of stay.  Is that correct & does it matter? 

Edited by USNret

The Definative and proven answer to your question is.......

Children under the age of 14 are given a visa upon arrival but can stay in the Kingdom as long as they like up to their 14 th birthday. Without reporting or any other requirements of an adult.

My two children both have UK/Filipino Passporrts, we sought advice from immigration dept and were given the above comment.

My children came in and out of Thailand after staying for long periods (3 years or 2 year periods) without charge or problem, in fact not an eyebrow was raised or even a question was asked.

regards...........Kippers

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rolanddrums said:

My Progress :- Ok My sons UK B/C now has apostille from Milton Keynes & stamp from Thai Embassy in London. We both now have 60 day tourist visas ready for LOS start/mid  Feb . I also have 800K baht plus in my Thai account ticking away since 16 Jan for the 2 months retirement visa requiremnts.  I'm over 50 . After 16 March I will apply for my retirement visa from Jomtien Immigration. After that what do i need to do to get my UK born half Thai sons extension 'piggyback' so he can enter/leave officially as and when with me ? ...thanks.

I don't know why no one has told you but you cannot apply for a retirement visa at Jomtien or any other

immigration office because there is no such thing, you Can apply for an extension of permission to stay

in Thailand on the grounds of retirement, it is NOT a visa, it is an extension.

There is no such thing as a retirement or marriage VISA. 

43 minutes ago, kippers said:

Children under the age of 14 are given a visa upon arrival but can stay in the Kingdom as long as they like up to their 14 th birthday. Without reporting or any other requirements of an adult.

It is under the age of 15 not 14.

I reality immigration is wrong. Just because they do not pay an overstay fine does not exempt them from needing visas and/or extension of stay.

• Like 1

It is under the age of 15 not 14.
I reality immigration is wrong. Just because they do not pay an overstay fine does not exempt them from needing visas and/or extension of stay.

When getting my 1 year old son added to my Extension of stay, they implied that he needed to do 90 day reports! Hopefully I misunderstood them.