That's scary: video footage emerges of moment every motorist dreads

rooster59

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The driver of the bus claimed that his brakes had failed and he lost control and was travelling in the wrong lane when he hit the pick-up.

When I hear these stories I have NEVER heard of somebody just 'fessin' up outright and saying "yeah, I messed up." It's a cultural thing.

I watched a few other videos on the same page as this bus accident one.      I kept wondering if seeing the results of thoughtless driving habits causes any of the responders or audience/rubberneckers  to reflect on their own driving.   

EVERY TIME   the Missus drives off somewhere,  I tell her to  be sure not to speed or drive too close to the person ahead of her.  

This was very familiar to me. Earlier this year on a road that I drive frequently I turned into an uphill right hand blind bend (thick tree growth both sides) and was confronted by a VIP bus coming downhill in my lane overtaking a similar VIP bus. To avoid a head-on I swung left onto the verge which slopes down ten degrees and missed him by inches. I had managed to stop before hitting a traffic sign. How that bus got around the sharp bend to the left I shall never know.

A Thai man in a pickup who had been a hundred meters behind me kindly stopped to see if I was OK. He told me that the bus had come around on the bend with only the RH wheels on the road and lurched into the left lane with a bounce missing him by inches too.

Is adrenaline brown or did I s..t myself? 

bus accident1.jpg

In this image, the bus appears to have passed another vehicle. Here's a thought. Why could he not have bumped into the rear of the bus ahead (part of the convoy?) and somehow communicated he had a major problem. This would have possibly allowed him to slow down? Going into the uphill opposite lane is madnness as he had no way to slow down other than using the gears, and were they also in a state of failure?.

Agree or disagree, it was just a theory. 

Edited by ratcatcher

24 minutes ago, TGIR said:

No-one seems to have noticed the other driver appears not to have slowed down or made a real attempt to get out of the way either.............just saying............

I disagree. The pickup driver was pulled over all the way that the concrete corner markers would allow, and he did veer sharply at the end right into them. I imagine he could not imagine the bus would not give him a the few inches he needed to get past. Things happen fast. Perhaps he was hard on the brakes too at the last moments.

The offending bus was just finishing passing a double trailer rig (on the same corner) and he was clearly going to pass the bus ahead of him as well all on a blind corner.

So either he was having a brake failure or he is a psychopath. I think the odds are heavy for psychopath.

My guess he was speeding and the slight downgrade made him serve into the other incoming to avoid running into the back of the other bus...

BS about brakes - if brakes don't work, you don't swing into an oncoming lane instinctly - speeding and lack of reactionary training...

13 minutes ago, diehard71 said:

very strange as it happened last friday but the date on the video is displaying 2015/07/06 ?

... and at 2:15 in the morning, but broad daylight.  Was it perhaps in northern Russia, rather than Thailand?  Or, as another poster has pointed out, was it perhaps that the owner had not bothered to adjust the pre-sets?

Brainless driving in Thailand results often in death of so many people: and the result!

Excuses, fines that are to laugh for Thais as well: fine them to hell and sent them to court and prison.

People learn only if it HURTS them...

24 minutes ago, sz1a said:

I wonder why the truck driver didn't swerve, break or otherwise try to avoid the oncoming bus? All three drivers just kept to their original trajectories.

Did you notice the speed of events/ The black and white posts on the side of the road. Where was he supposed to swerve to? At least he's alive, although, he may wish he was dead.

Brakes faliure!!!??? obviously this idiot was trying to overtake on a bend on a 2 way lane. even if he had break failure. he wont crash head on to the pickup if he kept to his lane and not overtake on the bend. 

and what r the RTP doing? investigate the bus brakes?  charge the driver and the bus company all.

3 hours ago, exalll said:

... and at 2:15 in the morning, but broad daylight.  Was it perhaps in northern Russia, rather than Thailand?  Or, as another poster has pointed out, was it perhaps that the owner had not bothered to adjust the pre-sets?

24hr clock is advisable as explained in #30.

The only other observations I can add is that Thailand is the only country where drivers in the wrong will not get out of the way under any circumstances; and I cannot tell whether or not the driver in the dashcam car was wearing his seatbelt. His visible injuries suggest not but there again I can't see an airbag either.

4 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

bus accident1.jpg

In this image, the bus appears to have passed another vehicle. Here's a thought. Why could he not have bumped into the rear of the bus ahead (part of the convoy?) and somehow communicated he had a major problem. This would have possibly allowed him to slow down? Going into the uphill opposite lane is madnness as he had no way to slow down other than using the gears, and were they also in a state of failure?.

Agree or disagree, it was just a theory. 

Your theory is ok,except that's not what happened.It was a brainless overtaking move.

"Where does it say dont overtake on a blind bend, there was no sign on the road!" All Thais learn to drive before they were born which gives them the very special driving skills seen here, add a few amulets and Bobs your uncle, most advanced drivers on the planet Thailand, where dodgems have left the fairground and are coming to a road near you!

An obvious lie from the bus driver, as he would have crashed into the bus in front, if his brakes had failed. 

I nearly bought it like that when a cement truck came at me on the wrong side of the road.  Luckily I was able to go off the road on to a strip of gravel or I would have been wiped out or seriously injured for sure.

Edited by Dogmatix

Roo860.

I have read with interest,many times,the threats made by angry fathers,promising revenge upon any driver or custodian that causes their children death or injury through what is seemingly,stupidity,drunkenness,drug induced,or not checking a vehicle for safety.The 'old' brakes didnt work thing is getting a bit thin now,as so many drivers are falling back on it.And i agree with how they feel,i am a father myself.But please,please do tell me how you would exact your revenge upon this idiot. How would you make him,as you say "extinct" (that in itself is a strange remark) I would like to know how you would find him,and what exactly would you do to him that wouldnt get you arrested and end up sharing a cell with 30 others,for life. Come ,come,dear sir.Calm down and see the  futility of your remarks,that were obviously spawned in anger.