A girl has gone online to warn people about habitual use of the pain killer Tramadol

webfact

A girl has gone online to warn people about habitual use of the pain killer Tramadol

p7.jpg

Source: Sanook

BANGKOK: -- She said that her boyfriend could hardly walk after getting addicted to the medication that is known as "Ya Khiaw Leuang" (the green and yellow drug) in Thai.

She said that her boyfriend had lost 7/8 kilos in weight and had found it impossible to sleep without sedatives, reported Sanook.

Online contradiction advice clearly states that tramadol should not be taken with sedatives and other things like alcohol.

She posted that the drug had affected his memory and caused him to become confused. If he managed to get up he would fall over, she claimed.

"People should watch out for this drug," she said. "It was alright at first but then my boyfriend suddenly started experiencing severe symptoms." she warned.

Tramadol is an opioid pain medication sold under the names Ultram and Zytram.

Pharmacies in Thailand are restricted to selling only 1000 tablets each per month and its distribution to people 17 and younger is prohibited. No more than 20 tablets can be given out at a time.

But sanook.com reported that Tramadol is widely available online.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-12-21

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

News that some meds can be addictive if they are abused?  Not News... I took Tramadol a few times in the last few years for a bad disk in my neck, didn't mix it, just took it before bed so I could sleep without too much pain.  Never had any issues...

I have been taking tramadol now for over 3 years with no problems.

Taking prescribed medicine is ok if you do not take more than prescribed.

Maybe he has been taking  alcohol, something which is a definite no-no when on tramadol.

Edited by colinneil

Been using this for years to mitigate the pain of disintegrating discs in my back; before that codeine.  Never any problem except with the inflated price of the medicine.  If you turn it into cocktails with alcohol, I have no doubt you will have problems but that is stupidity, the cure for that (stupidity) is education NOT regulation.  Read the instructions in the package and use (un)common sense.

Healthy living.

Good for her to warn people online of the dangers.

Shame on others for saying it is harmless. It most certainly is not harmless - it causes dependency. 

A very dangerous drug, especially in Thailand where you can buy it over the counter.

Doctors in developed countries have known about the dangers of this drug for many years. 

Withdrawal from this drug is particularly nasty, hence why there are so many addicts.

I've been taking Tramadol for almost 10 years after a back injury

In Aus I used a slow release version, took forever to numb the ache

The ones here are good for me

How many did this numb nut take at a time and what else was in his cocktail 

All drugs when used on a long term basis, especially for the relief of pain or for sleep problems are subject to what  is called "Habituation", meaning continued of the drug may become a habit if thee drug gives relief from pain or a good night's sleep.

The effect of most drugs will taper off after being taken on a repeated basis.

So if a user gets relief from Pain or a good night's sleep from a single dose of th drug he or she may want to double the dose as the benefit of the drug seems to taper off the more it is taken.

Elvis Presly is a good example.

By his autopsy after he died it was shown that every night he was taking triple the normal dose of "sleeping pills" but he still suffered from insomnia.

He had taken these sleeping pills so long that he had become habituated to them and witnout a triple normal dose he  simply could not slleep.

Thai kids mix many tablets with cola in the bottle,then shake the bottle,drink and presto you have one crazy Thai  kid. Any one legally buying the drug,either as a mix( Ultracet ) or on its own needs to sign the pharmacy drugs control book. I once bought it for my wife's cousin who was dying of cancer as the doctor would only prescribe her paracetamol. I personally use the Ultracet mix 50grms tramadol  with 250 grams paracetamol when I have disk problems and can't sleep,but only sparingly. Never had a problem so far.

I can see a knee-jerk reaction coming from the authorities, just like the ban on anti allergy meds containing pseudoephedrine a few years ago. Here we have some dim-witted junkie who can't/won't read the instructions in the box.

As a result hundreds of thousands of people with a legitimate need, will be denied access to an effective medication for their suffering.

As Paracelsus, the father of modern pharmacology, said: Poison is in everything, and no thing is without poison. The dosage makes it either a poison or a remedy. 

Edited by fstarbkk
Bad grammar

29 minutes ago, Ai Dteea said:

Shame on others for saying it is harmless. It most certainly is not harmless - it causes dependency. 

A very dangerous drug, especially in Thailand where you can buy it over the counter.

Doctors in developed countries have known about the dangers of this drug for many years. 

Withdrawal from this drug is particularly nasty, hence why there are so many addicts.

It doesn't cause dependency.

Abuse and misuse cause dependency. 

As with all drugs. 

what a load of sh*t, I was on 400 mg(200 mg twice a day for 20 years, prescribed by my doctor, started at 50 mg and went up over the years), the only problem I had was my memory and the fact I suffered withdrawals,  it took months to be weened of it, mind you I was also taking a stronger opoid when pain became severe, I did have the occasional drink while on it but never suffered the way she says he boyfriend does, maybe its what he is taking/smoking besides what is prescribed. 

Edited by seajae

Opiates should always be avoided. 

I've written about this. IMHO, I am not a doctor, the first thing that should be used to fight chronic pain is Gabapentin. It is rarely prescribed and even less often prescribed correctly. I take a maintenance dose everyday and have eliminated the crippling back pain I use to get from degenerating discs. 

IM me if you have questions but this link will explain everything. Check with your doctor but I doubt they'll know much about Gaba. 

Gabapentin is THE drug for chronic pain

2 hours ago, webfact said:

No more than 20 tablets can be given out at a time.

I used to get a minimum of 30 prescribed each time from the Government hospital.

Eventually I had to tell the doctor to stop prescribing them for me, as I only used them when in serious pain, hence I had loads of the stuff.

What a pussy,  I have a bad neck that can almost lock in place with pain.  Tramadol  is the only thing that touches the pain when it happens,  although 1 pill wouldn't do it. 

I have 2 with a glass of wine or 2, it's awesome,  puts a nice glow on the evening of pain! 

I do that as needed,  usually one or 2 days every 6 weeks if I've been unlucky.  Never had any issues nor fell over.its a pain killer not crack or smack! 

Obviously a lightweight who was on more than he told his gf,  now she is doing what Thai girls do best and begging feelings. 

Non story! 

58 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Legalize medicinal marijuana and you don't need opiate's. Simple!
Why not let people grow a plant or two. No ones died of a marijuana overdose.

You are asking too much of the Thai government. We can't be doing things that are RATIONAL.....that would go against "Thai culture".

3 hours ago, dcnx said:

I was taking it for 6 months, it's fine if you don't abuse it or mix other things with it. No doubt this guy was drinking while taking it.

This is a non-story.

Kind of admire the girl for sticking by her boyfriend. 

1 hour ago, Chip Allen said:

Tramadol is NOT addictive. This was my doctor's rationale for prescribing it for my chronic back pain. The insane rumours surrounding this medicine are not helping people who need pain relief.

hate to break it to you but it is very addictive, one doctor tried to get me off it cold turkey and then 2 days later I was in hospital with severe withdrawal symptoms. I gave up smoking cold turkey many years ago without any hassles, gave up weed when I was a lot younger again with out any hassles but this nearly floored me. Tramidol is an opiate and is very addictive, anyone that says it isnt is kidding themselves or on very small doses, I got off it and will never take it regularly again, these days I just put up with the pain

Edited by seajae

3 hours ago, Ai Dteea said:

If you use it as directed it is not dangerous

Only idiots who overdose on a mix of cocktail  crap seem to have problems

It works on the neuro transmitters in the brain it effects people differently.

For me if I take a prescribed dose. Within thirty min I have no pain. Also no problems and the whole world is a very happy place. It is addicting. Read about tramadol withdrawal.  I took it for a few weeks didn't abuse it whatsoever.  When I discontinued it I was near suicidal. 

There are many different responses with this medication. 

I came through it with a whole new perspective on withdrawal. 

And yes...you can find places that will sell it. And yes the potential for abuse is huge.

2 hours ago, Pinot said:

Opiates should always be avoided. 

I've written about this. IMHO, I am not a doctor, the first thing that should be used to fight chronic pain is Gabapentin. It is rarely prescribed and even less often prescribed correctly. I take a maintenance dose everyday and have eliminated the crippling back pain I use to get from degenerating discs. 

IM me if you have questions but this link will explain everything. Check with your doctor but I doubt they'll know much about Gaba. 

Gabapentin is THE drug for chronic pain

I agree with you 100% about gabapentin.

As i already said i take tramadol daily along with gabapentin, no problems from either.

Bluespunk is correct it is abuse and mis-use that is the problem

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

It doesn't cause dependency.

Abuse and misuse cause dependency. 

As with all drugs. 

This seems to be a touchy subject, To the above poster - you are totally wrong. Tramadol DOES cause dependency, even if taken in small doses as prescribed by a doctor. Perhaps you are confusing addiction with dependence.

Try telling the accidental addicts of the 60's 70's who were prescribed valium as a safe drug that only abuse causes dependency. Please don't say such things on a forum about a dangerous drug available over the counter in this country, when you don't know what you're talking about.

2 hours ago, seajae said:

what a load of sh*t, I was on 400 mg(200 mg twice a day for 20 years, prescribed by my doctor, started at 50 mg and went up over the years), the only problem I had was my memory and the fact I suffered withdrawals,  it took months to be weened of it, mind you I was also taking a stronger opoid when pain became severe, I did have the occasional drink while on it but never suffered the way she says he boyfriend does, maybe its what he is taking/smoking besides what is prescribed. 

The fact that you started at 50mg and was increased to 400mg shows that you became tolerant and needed more for the same effect. it took months to be weened off it suggests it is an addictive drug, don't you agree? 

1 hour ago, Chip Allen said:

Tramadol is NOT addictive. This was my doctor's rationale for prescribing it for my chronic back pain. The insane rumours surrounding this medicine are not helping people who need pain relief.

I strongly suggest you find a new doctor.!!!!!!!!

People become addicted to this drug fast than many others. Some doctors don't know this as they are lied to by the drug companies, who tell them it isn't an opiate. That is true, it isn't strictly an opiate but becomes narcotic when mixed with chemicals in the body. That's how they get around prescribing it as a non-opiate as it isn't, until you take it. It acts in the same way as opiates, with withdrawals as bad, if not worse.

39 minutes ago, scottymdt said:

Looks to be a lot of prescription pill addicts about trying to defend long term use of opiates.

keep telling your self its ok and it will be fine 

Denial and addiction go hand in hand. They will always find a way to justify their continued use of their drug of choice.

Who wants to admit being a drug addict?

4 minutes ago, Ai Dteea said:

This seems to be a touchy subject, To the above poster - you are totally wrong. Tramadol DOES cause dependency, even if taken in small doses as prescribed by a doctor. Perhaps you are confusing addiction with dependence.

Try telling the accidental addicts of the 60's 70's who were prescribed valium as a safe drug that only abuse causes dependency. Please don't say such things on a forum about a dangerous drug available over the counter in this country, when you don't know what you're talking about.

The fact that you started at 50mg and was increased to 400mg shows that you became tolerant and needed more for the same effect. it took months to be weened off it suggests it is an addictive drug, don't you agree? 

I strongly suggest you find a new doctor.!!!!!!!!

People become addicted to this drug fast than many others. Some doctors don't know this as they are lied to by the drug companies, who tell them it isn't an opiate. That is true, it isn't strictly an opiate but becomes narcotic when mixed with chemicals in the body. That's how they get around prescribing it as a non-opiate as it isn't, until you take it. It acts in the same way as opiates, with withdrawals as bad, if not worse.

I'm not confusing dependency with addiction.

I stand by what I posted.

You do not get to tell me what to post.

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

I'm not confusing dependency with addiction.

I stand by what I posted.

You do not get to tell me what to post.

Well you are confused about something.

I asked you(not told) to please stop posting untruths about this dangerous, addictive drug.

Please read this before post about something you know nothing about.

http://drugabuse.com/library/tolerance-dependence-addiction/