Patong Mayor powerless over Phuket’s sand sun loungers

webfact

Patong Mayor powerless over Phuket’s sand sun loungers

Eakkapop Thongtub

1482378819_1-org.jpg

Mayor Chalermluk says she is powerless to remove the loungers as they sit within the legal 10% beach zone. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- Patong Mayor Chalermluk Kebsup says she is powerless over the removal of sand sun loungers set up along the length of Patong Beach as they have been built within the legal 10 per cent zone set out by officials in charge of the Phuket beach zones.

The issue of the sand sun loungers came to light after photos were posted on Facebook with a message in Thai which translated to “#When canvas beds are forbidden”.

The photos show sun loungers about 60 centimetres high built on the beach using sand with a mattress on top.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/patong-mayor-powerless-over-phuket-sand-sun-loungers-60345.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-12-22

I was wondering about this when I saw these unusually high mounds that the vendors created a couple of days ago.

So what the mayor is saying is that the local government has no control over what the vendors do to the topography in the 10% area?  I don't think so.  

Just now, DrDave said:

I was wondering about this when I saw these unusually high mounds that the vendors created a couple of days ago.

So what the mayor is saying is that the local government has no control over what the vendors do to the topography in the 10% area?  I don't think so.  

Further, many vendors (everywhere) just refuse to obey the law, and expect that they can just do anything they please with no respect to rules or to the image or development of Thailand to a higher level.

Here on Ramkhamhaeng Road in Bkk, the RTP, Bkk Metro Admin. and soldiers have been constantly monitoring the vendors after the authorities eventually cleared the footpath maybe 8 or 9 months ago.

No police etc., for about 3 days, all vendors back and blocking the footpath. 

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

<snip>

Here on Ramkhamhaeng Road in Bkk, the RTP, Bkk Metro Admin. and soldiers have been constantly monitoring the vendors after the authorities eventually cleared the footpath maybe 8 or 9 months ago.

Same here.  The army came through and cleared all the vendors from the beach, and told the jetski mafia that they could not leave their jetskis parked on the sand. All jetskis were to be moored out in the water. That lasted a couple of weeks.

Now, there are more jetskis parked on the sand than there has ever been before. 

“I do feel that the loungers destroy the beautiful scenery, but they are not really a problem as beachgoers still have 90% of the beach to use if they don’t want to use the loungers,” she said.

90% of the beach, excluding the part taken over by the jetski and parasailing operators. 

Actually I like the fact that the Thais have used some outside of the box thinking in this instance.

Typical Thai 'cleverness' .... I  am surprised it took them so long. They have 10% of the beach to conduct business, quite honestly I see no problem with plastic loungers in that 10%. This sand lounger is even better solution.

Edited by LivinginKata

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Further, many vendors (everywhere) just refuse to obey the law, and expect that they can just do anything they please with no respect to rules or to the image or development of Thailand to a higher level.

that road is unbelievably clogged and needs to feed traffic to and from 2 major universities. vendors block the sidewalk while bikes parked curbside block traffic.

it seems the only thing that keeps the country going is inertia

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Its a cultural thing.

generally most thais like natural beaches nothing on it just sand water maybe some coconut trees thats it.for us thats dead boring.foreigners likes beaches with umbrellas chairs foods drinks and so on.

If I may? "..just sand water and rubbish plus maybe some coconut trees..."

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Patong Mayor Chalermluk Kebsup says she is powerless over the removal of sand sun loungers set up along the length of Patong Beach as they have been built within the legal 10 per cent zone

If it is set up along the length of the beach and as in the picture 4 rows.  Then I guess it must be much more than 10 %  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, bokningar said:

If it is set up along the length of the beach and as in the picture 4 rows.  Then I guess it must be much more than 10 %  :thumbsup:

10% of what beach? Low tide?

Anybody know how they define it.

Perhaps a moving target as nece$$ary? 

3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Its a cultural thing.

generally most thais like natural beaches nothing on it just sand water maybe some coconut trees thats it.for us thats dead boring.foreigners likes beaches with umbrellas chairs foods drinks and so on.

Have you ever been to a Thai-style beach resort? The number of umbrellas and deckchairs make Patong look like the Sahara Desert!

8 hours ago, Soupdragon said:

If I am not mistaken the sand is from the beach so surely vendors are renting out the Kings beach.

I am not a lawyer but isn't that illegal ?

No, they're using the part of the beach that they have been allocated to do exactly what they're doing.

6 hours ago, Psimbo said:

'Patong Mayor Powerless'- they could have just stopped the headline there!

I can understand building up a headrest of sand but these are just extracting the urine.

Why?  What difference does it make how they use their allocated 10% of the beach, are they doing any harm?

2 hours ago, bokningar said:

Apparently you're guessing incorrectly, according to the Mayor.

Edited by gdgbb

28 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Why?  What difference does it make how they use their allocated 10% of the beach, are they doing any harm?

From elsewhere:

'There are about 100 sand beds on Patong beach. Each took 20 to 30 minutes to build. The charge for a sand bed with a cushion and an umbrella was 300 baht, and 200 baht for one without a cushion. '

From Phuket I can see a problem with charging people to sit on sand- no one has the right to charge for that.

Edited by Psimbo

1 minute ago, Psimbo said:

From elsewhere:

'There are about 100 sand beds on Patong beach. Each took 20 to 30 minutes to build. The charge for a sand bed with a cushion and an umbrella was 300 baht, and 200 baht for one without a cushion. '

From Phuket I can see a problem with charging people to sit on sand- no one has the right to charge for that.

Maybe its not as clear from the lofty peaks of Bangkok but we thank you for your interest and snide jibes at others.

"'From Phuket I can see a problem with charging people to sit on sand- no one has the right to charge for that."

What you overlook is the fact that on that area of beach those with the concession do have the right to charge for the use of the facilities!

No snide jibes from me but calling my innocuous comment a snide jibe is a bit of a snide jibe, don't you think?

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Its a cultural thing.

Speak for yourself.

4 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Its a cultural thing.

I'm a foreigner and I don't like that. I like the unobstructed beach. Well, actually, not so much. I'm not much of a sun and sand person, but when I do go to the beach.

11 minutes ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

So...remind again, who gets to do business in the 10 percent zone, and how does that person secure that concession? 

How much tea money is required, and to whom must it be paid, for me to start renting out sand?

Think it requires a Thai pasport sorry to destroy ur businessplan.