Bangkok Bank Debit Cards - Update

Oh come on guys, the Bangkok Bank TPN-UnionPay card is great....watch this very short video for proof....and there is kinda proof that at least one store in Thailand accepts the card.

On 22/12/2016 at 6:34 PM, Pib said:

Must have been some miscommuications between you and the bank....the annual fee for a Visa Rabbit debit card is Bt200 right now; going to Bt300 mid 2017.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Be1stVisaDebitCard/Pages/Be1stRabbit.aspx

Capture.JPG

I only paid 100 for the rabbit card.... 

Rama9 branch 

On 3/22/2017 at 6:00 PM, Pib said:

Oh come on guys, the Bangkok Bank TPN-UnionPay card is great....watch this very short video for proof....and there is kinda proof that at least one store in Thailand accepts the card.

The 64,000 dollar question of course, though, is which particular store we are talking about and, more importantly, where it is.

Shouldn't be too difficult to find with these basic directions though - just look for the store with the long queue of people clutching Union Pay cards outside its entrance.:smile:

14 minutes ago, OJAS said:

The 64,000 dollar question of course, though, is which particular store we are talking about and, more importantly, where it is.

Shouldn't be too difficult to find with these basic directions though - just look for the store with the long queue of people clutching Union Pay cards outside its entrance.:smile:

The only place there are long queues of people clutching UnionPay cards outside its entrance is Bangkok Bank branches where people are trying to replace the UnionPay cards with Visa cards.

17 hours ago, Pib said:

The only place there are long queues of people clutching UnionPay cards outside its entrance is Bangkok Bank branches where people are trying to replace the UnionPay cards with Visa cards.

I've noticed the ATM lines getting a bit longer as that's the only place that takes UnionPay cards :)

The Union Pay ATM cards are now accepted at at least some K-bank ATM's. Going off-topic here, but K-bank is now handing out ATM cards with six digit PIN's. I have used my new K-bank a couple of times, though only at K-bank ATM's, so I can't yet comment on how widely accepted it is at other banks' machines.

Does anyone know if this bullshit will affect the Bkk Bank platinum visa and Mastercard *creditcards* or is it only being applied to debit cards? 

I don't think so. I just got a new BBL *credit* card (actually a 2nd card on my existing account line) earlier in March, and while a UnionPay card was one of the offered choices, there were still Visa and MC branded offerings as well. I chose a MC option to supplement my Visa card from them.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Didn't read all the comments here, but I used Bangkok Bank's Visa debit card for over 10yrs now. Lost a few got it renewed no problem. The main reason I got it, was because at the time, Bangkok Bank was the leading Bank in my opinion, as far as online banking went. I was building websites for friends and used outside hosting service to host some of my sites. I used PayPal to make my online transactions, to make a long story short, PayPal only accept Visa,Master card, and American Express. So my problem began when I lost my card recently. The Bank gave me the new card, which has the UnionPay Logo, and PayPal will not accept. I have to make my monthly payment, and I can not apply for credit card, so does any one have any idea of other bank that has Visa debit card I can use?

While I have no personal knowledge, there have been reports in this sub-forum that they don't work abroad, as they have a 6 digit PIN. They also don't work at some ATM's in Thailand for the same reason.

I opened an account 2 months ago and they told me it was 890 baht for the Visa card because I had to buy insurance (<deleted> ?) or I could get the Union Pay card for I think 150 baht. I told them, no thanks I'll make extra work for the tellers when I use the window each time. I also have a Kasikorn account so I have ATM access. The old "buy insurance" for an ATM card scam....bankers everywhere a bunch of crooks.

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 3:20 AM, Average Joe said:

Didn't read all the comments here, but I used Bangkok Bank's Visa debit card for over 10yrs now. Lost a few got it renewed no problem. The main reason I got it, was because at the time, Bangkok Bank was the leading Bank in my opinion, as far as online banking went. I was building websites for friends and used outside hosting service to host some of my sites. I used PayPal to make my online transactions, to make a long story short, PayPal only accept Visa,Master card, and American Express. So my problem began when I lost my card recently. The Bank gave me the new card, which has the UnionPay Logo, and PayPal will not accept. I have to make my monthly payment, and I can not apply for credit card, so does any one have any idea of other bank that has Visa debit card I can use?

UOB, 50k Cash Deposit, VISA ATM card on the spot.

Then use the ATM to take the 50k cash out.  (No joke, they told me you can take it back out right away).

Verified in Bangkok and Pattaya this year.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2017 at 10:30 PM, tonray said:

I opened an account 2 months ago and they told me it was 890 baht for the Visa card because I had to buy insurance (<deleted> ?) or I could get the Union Pay card for I think 150 baht. I told them, no thanks I'll make extra work for the tellers when I use the window each time. I also have a Kasikorn account so I have ATM access. The old "buy insurance" for an ATM card scam....bankers everywhere a bunch of crooks.

For ATM use the UnionPay works fine and is very secure - and can easily be used in other banks ATM machines - so really no need to live without ATM access to avoid that insurance charge they wanted to stick you with for the Visa card.  If you want to pay merchants is where the UnionPay fails big time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

For ATM use the UnionPay works fine and is very secure - and can easily be used in other banks ATM machines - so really no need to live without ATM access to avoid that insurance charge they wanted to stick you with for the Visa card.  If you want to pay merchants is where the UnionPay fails big time.

I need a fully functional card. I will make another attempt at the VISA logo and see what they say this time. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2017 at 10:14 PM, cliffspab said:

I tried a UnionPay debit card in the UK last August and had no luck at any ATM. Bangkok Bank are flat out refusing to give me a Visa card now, so Im off to Kasikorn.

same here flat refusal to issue visa debit, so after after 17 years changing banks

although when enquiring they did hand me a piece of paper saying it could be used in Barclays bank atm, i said no Barclays bank atm near my uk home.......... their informed  answer was go in car!

****wits!

• 1 month later...

I have also been surprised, in a bad way, with the switch from visa to union pay. Silly me didn't look at my new card closely.. It does not work in the Philippines ATMs! Does not work for online purchases even at Lazada.Com Thailand! Looking for a new bank. I real pain because my USA pension goes into bank of Bangkok. As far as I know.. Bank of Bangkok is the only direct deposit for a USA pending in Thailand?! Aggravating indeed!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Just now, 1happykamper said:

I have also been surprised, in a bad way, with the switch from visa to union pay. Silly me didn't look at my new card closely.. It does not work in the Philippines ATMs! Does not work for online purchases even at Lazada.Com Thailand! Looking for a new bank. I real pain because my USA pension goes into bank of Bangkok. As far as I know.. Bank of Bangkok is the only direct deposit for a USA pending in Thailand?! Aggravating indeed!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

They have visa cards, just tell them you want one or close  your account on the spot.... 

• Like 2

Sadly, the Visa Rabbit debit card I went through a bit of krap to get last year (vs a Union Pay card) was eaten by an ATM machine recently,  and boy was I dreading another round of Union Pay bullshit at the branch; which is precisely what happened.  The kid behind the desk made a call to someone, presume Bangkok (not sure) but they apparently said the same - Our Way Union Pay, or the Highway.

Highway it is then.  Handed the forms back to the kid behind the desk and said I would be shifting my routine banking over to our Krungsi accounts.   I didn't even ask for the supervisor/manager.  I have sent 2 in-mails via iBanking message system in the days since and mentioned this issue is starting to get traction on social media.  No response so far.  I'll start posting on their Facebook next.

Got a response from the iBanking inquiries.  As expected, and as others have reported here,  branches can still order Visa logo cards from BKK.  The new guy at my branch clearly got a different memo.....  LOL. 

596f9803723da_bkkinmailresp-Copy.JPG.b786f01a5eff44828a1d271325e6e0f2.JPG

• Like 2

And I'm sure HQ Bangkok Bank has also sent multiple memos to all branches and meetings with bank management saying "push the UnionPay card over the Visa card." 

In turn branch managers continue to brief branch employees to push (push hard) the UnionPay card.  End result is multiple excuses from some branches as to why a person can not get a Visa card anymore when the Visa card is really still available.

UnionPay just has a major problem in many parts of the world, to include Thailand, in that many businesses still do not accept UnionPay for payment of services/products.

Me thinks Bangkok Bank is speaking out of both sides of their mouth.

• Like 2

On 22/05/2017 at 4:50 PM, JayBird said:

UOB, 50k Cash Deposit, VISA ATM card on the spot.

Then use the ATM to take the 50k cash out.  (No joke, they told me you can take it back out right away).

Verified in Bangkok and Pattaya this year.

But if you leave it empty or unused they lock them automatically 

Mine got locked and I went in and the told me to deposit 100thb over the counter and it will start working in  24hrs