Regulator Shuts Down Booze Buffet; Threatens To Prosecute People Sharing Alcohol Pics

webfact

I note that one of the "officers" conducting the raid is wearing desert combats.

Is that because the intention is to turn Chiang Rai into a "dry area" (I hope not, I'm going for a beer later this evening),

or did he have first dibs on the dressing up box?

Edited by JAG

Calm down. He's not going to take your favourite drug away. He's saying not to promote the consumption of alcohol. That seems to leave it up to the individual as to whether to drink or not.

As long as the law is applied fairly I don't see the problem. There is too much alcohol consumption.

Alcohol consumption is linked to many harmful consequences for the individual drinker, the drinker’s immediate environment and society as a whole. Such social consequences as traffic accidents, workplace-related problems, family and domestic problems, and interpersonal violence have been receiving more public or research attention in recent years, indicating a growing interest in a broader concept of alcohol-related cons

equences (Klingemann & Gmel,2001). On the other hand, however, social consequences affect individuals other than the drinker e.g. passengers involved in traffic casualties, or family members affected by failure to fulfill social role obligations, or incidences

of violence in the family. Ultimately, however, these events have an impact on society as

a whole insofar as they affect economic productivity or require the attention and resources of the criminal justice or health care system, or of other social institutions (Gmel & Rehm, 2003).

World Health Organization report on alcohol

Thailand is a country with a Buddhist tradition. The fifth precept tells us not to be heedless of others. Intoxication leads to heedlessness. When we're intoxicated, we do not think clearly and our moral judgments are hampered.

Calm down. He's not going to take your favourite drug away. He's saying not to promote the consumption of alcohol. That seems to leave it up to the individual as to whether to drink or not.
As long as the law is applied fairly I don't see the problem. There is too much alcohol consumption.
Alcohol consumption is linked to many harmful consequences for the individual drinker, the drinker’s immediate environment and society as a whole. Such social consequences as traffic accidents, workplace-related problems, family and domestic problems, and interpersonal violence have been receiving more public or research attention in recent years, indicating a growing interest in a broader concept of alcohol-related cons
equences (Klingemann & Gmel,2001). On the other hand, however, social consequences affect individuals other than the drinker e.g. passengers involved in traffic casualties, or family members affected by failure to fulfill social role obligations, or incidences
of violence in the family. Ultimately, however, these events have an impact on society as
a whole insofar as they affect economic productivity or require the attention and resources of the criminal justice or health care system, or of other social institutions (Gmel & Rehm, 2003).

Thailand is a country with a Buddhist tradition. The fifth precept tells us not to be heedless of others. Intoxication leads to heedlessness. When we're intoxicated, we do not think clearly and our moral judgments are hampered.

Oh puuuuuuleeeeaze!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, gr8fldanielle said:

No more Regency commercials on the TV?

"even unintentionally promoting alcohol can lead to prosecution."

No more selfies at restaurants where there is alcohol on the table?

Could it be argued that seeing people eat on the TV makes the viewer feel like eating too, hence,

a restaurant pic with a beer could make someone want to drink.

The whole thing is ludicrous.

Indeed it is ludicrous.Thailand's Premier League fans are regularly subjected to SINGHA beer commercials at Chelsea and other stadia. Everton fans can enjoy their blue Chang shirts, while Carlsberg is Probably................................. :drunk:

2 hours ago, seahorse said:

I cant believe ive just read such drivel!......Whatever this guy is drinking i want!

I cant believe ive just read such drivel!......Whatever this guy is drinking i want!

Poohy, whilst I sympathize with your view, I must tell you that you cannot purchase or obtain any consumable substance which will induce a similar malfunction of the Central Nervous System such as Seahorse and the subject of this thread possess.

In other words these guys have a screw loose, and you sure don't want that for all the ethanol in the world.
Cheers, UW.

3 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Here's Khun Samarn Futrakul,  Mr Conviviality, proudly showing off  his bottle of Hong Thong, that high quality Thai whiskey.

samarn.jpg

He reminds me of a guy I recently saw in a massage parlor.
Never mind.

Edited by tomacht8

9 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

I know!! to stop people from buying alcohol they can enact following regulations:

Sale of alcohol is prohibited between 00:05 to 06:35.

Sale of alcohol is prohibited between 08:23 to 08:55.

Sale of alcohol is prohibited between 10:11 to 10:45.

Sale of alcohol is prohibited between 12:00 to 13:16.

Sale of alcohol is prohibited between 15:06 to 15:55.

Sale of alcohol is prohibited between 16:23 to 18:45.

Sale of alcohol is prohibited between 19:00 to 21:34.

Sale of alcohol is prohibited between 22:02 to 23:55.

All other times the sale of alcohol is restricted to sale only to persons wearing a hat and funny shirt, with long pants only.

actually this is pretty clever. i could see them collecting a lot of fine money of this.

12 hours ago, robertthesculptor said:

Show me a country....Any country that has banned anything alcohol related...Did it work?????

Thailand moves truckulently into the 1930s...Remedial history for those who haven't learned....

I don't think this is about banning alcohol but rather about enforcing laws regarding advertising restrictions which most countries have when it come to alcohol. I don't think there is any one that can deny the effects advertising can have, especially among youth. 

11 hours ago, seahorse said:

Thailand's Buddhist tradition is very flexible.

14 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

...any netizen who encourages people to drink could face the same charges, no matter their intentions.

Crack down on all big beer-, liquor- and advertising companies.
No Beer Girl Prettys , bottle openers, lighters, sunshades, beer gardens, illuminated signs, beer glasses, t-shirts?
Thailand on par with Saudi Arabia.

I'm willing to compromise--I propose we give up all the tacky nick-knacks and just keep the beer pretties.

"He said police can arrest and prosecute any booze-sharing netizens if they wish, and though the court may eventually acquit them on the grounds of insufficient evidence, it’s not worth risking the ire of the law.

“At least members of the public will waste their time going to court to defend themselves and prove they didn’t intend any wrongdoing,” Samarn said. “So I want to warn you: Don’t share that kind of post.”"

By implication, Thailand's justice system has lots of time to waste arresting and prosecuting people who have committed trivial offenses (if that) and won't be convicted.

"Asked whether this extends to snapping photos of Singha beer at a party and sharing them on Instagram with a caption saying how awesome the beer tastes, Samarn said yes."

Possibility of a double whammy here: disseminating false information is an offence under the computer crimes act!

On 12/23/2016 at 2:03 PM, robertthesculptor said:

Show me a country....Any country that has banned anything alcohol related...Did it work?????

Thailand moves truckulently into the 1930s...Remedial history for those who haven't learned....

What about the two or three locals who arrive at a restaurant and polish off 2 bottles of whiskey? It's their own version of a small "happy hour". These folks cause more harm to society with their insistence eon getting into their vehicles to "weave" their way home. I have personally tried to pry the keys out of my friends hands. It has almost come to blows as they insist "may mao, can drive, no probrem". A few of these friends do have numerous "whiskey" dents in their vehicles. I even watched my neighbor across the street crash into their homes closed gate. Was so drunk that I he could hardly exit the vehicle. When he did he fell down immediately. Does this a few nights a week.

It is the individuals choice as to join into any happy hour anywhere. They are not forced to imbibe, only offered the choice. What about all of the regular "happy hours"

in metro BKK and beach resort areas?