Should I be worried?

BangkokTony

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/25/2016 at 10:56 AM, BangkokTony said:

At the time it seemed the right thing to do when discussing a will.  I will ask him for his ID tomorrow.  Also I will have a pic taken with him. I regret doing it now.

There will be no tomorrow.He must have thought it was Christmas.

On 25/12/2016 at 8:54 AM, Don Mega said:

555, tomorrow he will most likely be gone and your bank accounts empty. But hey, at least you got a business card !!!

How does one empty someone else's bank account by just having the number?

That said I would be worried about what other important documents this 'work from home' lawyer had access to,  passport details and copies for example. I also supplied account details when  i drew up a will with an established lawyer, at his office. It was a lawyer I have been using for a long time. And still do.

Some guy off Facebook , with no office , other than a cafe on Sukhumvit, just to save a few thousand baht. Any lawyer can draw up a will.

No way should you have handed anything over, no office no certificates anywhere to tell you he is abonefied lawyer. You should contact you bank NOW AND FREEZE YOUR ACCOUNT. Maybe only give cash if you go in there personally, or tell the bank what's happened maybe open a new account. As for your passport maybe inform your embassy and see what they say, but do it now. Learn by this, let's open the guy was all above board but I personally would not have risked it. He now has your identity, your passport details he could easily get, credit cards in your name, get credit in stores or finance houses, all in your name. Ask said hopefully he is legit, but for a lawyer to advertise in fb is a bit naff for a start or do they all use fb for business?

23 hours ago, Saastrajaa said:

It's not unknown in Thailand to run a scam like this: you get someone's personal details, and then you take out a life insurance policy on them.  When you die, they collect, and there's nothing their family can do about it.  This happened to the father of a girlfriend I had in Ayuthya years ago.  Sounds like it may be his plan for you.  Are you over 60 years old?

Yes, I am.  I hope not to die in 'suspicious circumstances" 55

Edited by BangkokTony
Delete..posted by mistake. Computer playing up.

I met the guy yesterday in the cafe at Sukhumvit and duly received said Will. He also gave me copies of his personal details, ie work permit, visa in passport and passport main page which matched his appearance perfectly. 

I have informed the bank about the matter and they are taking appropriate steps.  The will does not now state any account but the damage has already been done. Once seen you cannot unsee.

The witnesses were local expats enjoying a coffee. I gave him the agreed amount on completion. 

Looking back I was too helpful.  I wanted everything to proceed without problems upon my death. Maybe I was too trusting.  Usually I am not. It was only after I left the cafe after first meeting that I realized I had given too much information.

I had a phone call from my bank yesterday because I had contacted them the previous day.  He confirmed withdrawals are only on presentation of pass book and passport.

2 minutes ago, BangkokTony said:

I met the guy yesterday in the cafe at Sukhumvit and duly received said Will. He also gave me copies of his personal details, ie work permit, visa in passport and passport main page which matched his appearance perfectly. 

I have informed the bank about the matter and they are taking appropriate steps.  The will does not now state any account but the damage has already been done. Once seen you cannot unsee.

The witnesses were local expats enjoying a coffee. I gave him the agreed amount on completion. 

Looking back I was too helpful.  I wanted everything to proceed without problems upon my death. Maybe I was too trusting.  Usually I am not. It was only after I left the cafe after first meeting that I realized I had given too much information.

I had a phone call from my bank yesterday because I had contacted them the previous day.  He confirmed withdrawals are only on presentation of pass book and passport.

I am happy for you 

Being brave enough to share here helped 

There is as we know good advice and bad on TV, you just need to watch what you listen to

Happy New Year, and Good luck

On 12/27/2016 at 2:05 AM, BangkokTony said:

well done mate, take no notice of all the bitter gets, they've all had their fingers burnt and just want to castigate anyone what they can relate to, glad it all worked out for you.